Lindy Focus New Year's Lindy Hop Party - Asheville, NC.

What's happening?

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

gamble

Lindy Focus New Year's Lindy Hop Party - Asheville, NC.

#1 Post by gamble » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:25 pm

LINDY FOCUS VII December 26th-31st 2008...

For the last 6 years, it's been our pleasure to create for you, time and time again, the best Lindy Hop event that we had the ability to create. With each new year, what that has meant is that the face of Lindy Focus is constantly changing. But the thing that has not changed is our dedication to create simply the best possible event for Lindy Hop. If we fall short in one area for one year, than we fix it for next year, simple as that.

Last year was a landmark year for us, as we had our closest grasp yet at achieving our newly defined goal of creating "a perfect lindy hop world". In a way, we could have been "done" after last year, it having met so many of our personal goals, and, well, it was such an awesome party. But then we thought, "What IF we kept going, kept building, where might it go?"

This year, we are determined to surprise even the most dedicated Lindy Focus attendees. We've spent all year seeking out the most inspiring, dedicated, and skilled Lindy Hop instructors anywhere, and the bands that churn out the most powerful Lindy Hop music.

But that alone wouldn't be enough... Those of you who have been to camps all over the world know that the perfect instructor lineup and the perfect music headliners can show up, and still there's no party; something is missing.

And really, that's what OUR job is; not hiring instructors, not hiring bands, not making a workshop schedule or organizing competitions: it's creating that Perfect Lindy Hop World. It's about giving you that, you know, Feeling. For a week. It's about truly disappearing from the real world and stepping into a better one. A world of swivels, syncopations, and riffs, of jagged melodies, beautiful lines, and hard-hitting thumps; a world of both pure expression and refined athleticism; of both mindful communication and mindless attitude; a world where gravity doesn't exist.

This year's instructors:
* Nina Gilkensen
* Emily Hoffberg
* Kate Hedin
* Evita Arce
* Kelly Arsenault

* Mike Faltesek
* Juan Villafane
* Bobby White
* Michael Jagger
* Marty Klempner
* ...and more.

This year's music:
* The Boilermaker Jazz Band
* The Russ Wilson Swingtette
* The Firecracker Jazz Band
* ...and more.

And, as promised, 5 days and 6 nights in a perfect Lindy Hop world.

Oh yeah, did I mention the return of the Southeast Lindy Hop Championships?

Stay tuned for more info, registration will open very soon.

http://www.lindyfocus.com/

gamble

#2 Post by gamble » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:11 pm

Hey guys. So, we've got some registration information for you:

Early Bird Registration opens this WEDNESDAY SEPT. 24th @ 10pm EST.

Early Bird price is $195.

...Which of course gets you:

- 5 days of classes with the world's most inspiring Lindy Hop & Balboa instructors
- 5 nights of the best in live hot jazz and swing music with one rockin' New Year's Eve party

Including these great highlights:

- 6 distinct class groups (more smartly organized than your standard class levels)
- a pro-level performance track
- evening electives you will actually like including multiple levels of Balboa
- the Southeast Lindy Hop Championships with 8 divisions of competition

Have questions? Visit our website, and if they're not answered there, use our contact form.

gamble

#3 Post by gamble » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:40 pm

EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION IS FULL.
Yup, it sold out, 50 slots, in 14 minutes. We're pretty honored and excited by that. It tells us that the Lindy Hop community values our ongoing effort to create the best possible environment for Lindy Hop. Furthermore, the geographic dispersion of those first 50 registrants tells us that this will truly be a worldwide party. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!

Early, discounted registration is still available. Each month, the price will go up. Come sign up now to join the party, save money, and reserve your spot for this year's event.

Have questions? Visit our website, and if they're not answered there, use our contact form.

gamble

#4 Post by gamble » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:28 am

Hey guys, we're about to move to our next registration stage, so:

REGISTER IN THE NEXT 5 DAYS AND SAVE $20! After October 15th, you will no longer be able to register at that discounted rate.

So far, we've got registrations from all levels of dancers from across the country, and the internationals are starting to trickle in as well.

Planning for the New Year's Show and Party with the Firecracker Jazz Band and featuring our own instructors is underway, and we can't wait to tell you all about it...

gamble

#5 Post by gamble » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:26 pm

24 HOURS LEFT TO SAVE $20
Hey guys! We're wrapping up this stage of registration, so register by Wednesday 10/15 to take part in this early registration deal.

Thanks again, everyone for a KILLER registration showing so far - this year is going to totally blow us all away!

gamble

#6 Post by gamble » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:19 am

LINDY FOCUS FORUM
Flying to a nearby city other than Asheville? Wanting to organize a carpool or hotel room-sharing? How about child care during the event? We've created a simple discussion forum to allow you to do so. Just visit our website and click the Discussion Forum link.

gamble

#7 Post by gamble » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:31 pm

Hey guys! A few important updates:

PRICE ABOUT TO GO UP
Monday the 17th is the last day for current price. After monday, price increases $15!

COMPETITION INFO UP
Trying to decide what competitions to do at this year's Southeast Lindy Hop Championships? Well, we've now got the descriptions and requirements for each contest, as well as the schedule, posted online.

UNDERGROUND LINDY FOCUS CHAMPIONSHIPS
What, exactly is the ULFC all about? Only one way to find out for sure...

Last edited by gamble on Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eyeball

#8 Post by Eyeball » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:17 pm

Aside from possibly Christabel and the Jons, it looks like you are using real Swing and Jazz bands for your live music.

How is it that you are *not* using non-Swing and non-Jazz music for people who like to Lindy to that?

This is not a trick question. :)

Thank you.

gamble

#9 Post by gamble » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:31 am

Hmm. Great question. I will try to give a totally candid answer... There is not just one reason, but many reasons why we have the lineup that we do, so maybe it's best if I just list several points that speak to your question, with the hope that your question will be answered along the way. :)

- My own taste: It's been my experience and is my strong belief that Lindy Hop makes the most sense, as a complete dance form, when dancing it to the music that it was created in response to. In other words, virtually everything I believe about the dance syncs up better with this music than any other kind, and I think that's because of the historical relationship.

- (and I won't lie about this) The trends among the world's most thriving dance scenes happen to seem to agree with my taste. I think that when the Lindy Hop world was younger and smaller, non-swing music was a nice bit of bait to draw in new people, and it served as a (valuable) way to reach out and connect to people who didn't already like vintage jazz. Now it's a different story. My observation has been that as the dance scene matured, a lot of dancers began to gravitate towards the more traditional music, perhaps even for those reasons I mention above. Maybe this pendulum will swing back to "swingable non-swing music" one day, but that's not where it seems to be now.

- Some of my favorite dancers/event advisers, who are nevertheless not vintage jazz fans, still love hearing these bands live, because of their compelling sound.

- Finally, I trust my DJ's. If they feel that the tastes of a significant percentage of attendees are not being satisfied, they know what to do. Though I suspect in many cases the DJ's, like myself, trend strongly towards both classic and swing era recordings, they also have the instincts not to allow a dance floor to become mutinous. :)

I guess if I were to summarize all these reasons, it would be that my organizing instincts told me that there was a strong demand for this particular musical atmosphere, which feedback so far has verified. :)

Thanks for the question ~ I'd be happy to continue the conversation.

~Michael

Eyeball

#10 Post by Eyeball » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:51 am

gamble wrote:
It's been my experience and is my strong belief that Lindy Hop makes the most sense, as a complete dance form, when dancing it to the music that it was created in response to. In other words, virtually everything I believe about the dance syncs up better with this music than any other kind, and I think that's because of the historical relationship.
Thank you for replying.

I gave voice to that theory a few years ago and I am thrilled to see more and more sound minds agreeing with me. :)
gamble wrote:
- (and I won't lie about this) The trends among the world's most thriving dance scenes happen to seem to agree with my taste. I think that when the Lindy Hop world was younger and smaller, non-swing music was a nice bit of bait to draw in new people, and it served as a (valuable) way to reach out and connect to people who didn't already like vintage jazz. Now it's a different story. My observation has been that as the dance scene matured, a lot of dancers began to gravitate towards the more traditional music, perhaps even for those reasons I mention above. Maybe this pendulum will swing back to "swingable non-swing music" one day, but that's not where it seems to be now.
Does this include Los Angeles? Recent dabbling research suggests otherwise for that city.

gamble wrote: Though I suspect in many cases the DJ's, like myself, trend strongly towards both classic and swing era recordings...
Again - the LA question I do raise......and perhaps other scenes in the USA
gamble wrote: Thanks for the question ~ I'd be happy to continue the conversation.

~Michael
Thanks, Michael. You have addressed the questions well regarding your own event. Perhaps the subject can be open up a bit in another thread.

Regards,

John

Mr Awesomer

#11 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:38 am

There are many events where "real Swing and Jazz bands" sell.
Los Angeles has "Camp Hollywood." Seattle has "Camp Jitterbug." Minn/St. Paul had "ULHS," now New Orleans has it. Asheville has "Lindy Focus." I could go on, but why?
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Eyeball

#12 Post by Eyeball » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:10 pm

Why? Because four events is not "many" and it would be educational to see what is happening where for those who care, but do not know and because Michael said he would be "happy to continue the conversation".

Yet still, just for more than a handful of yearly events, people might be interested to know what is happening in the various cities around the country.

fredo

#13 Post by fredo » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:06 pm

There are far more than four events that promote "real swing and jazz bands". Reuben named some of the big names, but there are so many others.

If you want to be educated on what is happening in cities across the country (world) then I suggest saving your frequent flier miles and finding out. Or start making friends in different areas and ask the questions you want to know about.

Actually, most events advertise this in threads just like this one. They list the bands and DJs. From there it's up to you to look up the bands and DJs to find out what they're about. Youtube, myspace, websites, forums, etc... people who go to these events are checking on these things every time they make plans (hopefully). Or they roll the dice and hope for something they like, then tell others what they thought afterwords. Word of mouth is effective.

Perhaps others are willing to share, but you'd have to start that conversation somewhere else on this forum.

Eyeball

#14 Post by Eyeball » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:18 pm

:idea: If someone already knows and is willing to share and post, then it is pointless for me to do the research.

:idea: I'll repost the topic elsewhere and those that care to contribute can do so

gamble

#15 Post by gamble » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:31 am

When that new thread opens up, would you mind posting a link to it here? On "forum days" like this one in my work week, I don't often have time to really scour the site and find interesting topics, but I'd love to keep up with this one.

Also, a final comment about Christabel & the Jons, who showed up in your original message as roughly in the non-swing category: They played at Knoxville's exchange last Saturday night, and I still count them as very much of a swing band, though I would qualify that by naming them a somewhat folksy string-swing group. I could easily imagine them playing depression-era dives packed with dancers, if not the Harlem ballrooms. :)

------------

..And, since it's my job, here's a Lindy Focus update:

TODAY (monday the 17th) is the last day to register at the current price. So, sign up now and save $15. It's a great time not to procrastinate. :)

ALSO ~ feel free to use our FORUM at lindyfocus.com to help organize your travel plans.

~M