Birth of the Jank

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Mr Awesomer

#46 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:52 pm

Hey, Jesse (tornredcarpet), Fredo just revived this thread via another thread and it reminded me of a picture you took in 2005. Mine if I post it?
Reuben Brown
Southern California

djstarr

#47 Post by djstarr » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:16 am

Yes. We owe the lineage of "jank" to Giselle and Reuben; but Leigh coined it and made it his own. We just copied Leigh. I hope this is well documented in some future tome.
Last edited by djstarr on Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Awesomer

#48 Post by Mr Awesomer » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:05 am

The term was being used well before Leigh starting spreading it further, but I forget exactly whom first used it. Something deep in my memory says it was first spoken (as a dance term) at one of the Vegas Exchanges, but that doesn't help history much since everyone there was surely drunk out of their minds.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

GemZombie

#49 Post by GemZombie » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:43 am

Mr Awesomer wrote:The term was being used well before Leigh starting spreading it further, but I forget exactly whom first used it. Something deep in my memory says it was first spoken (as a dance term) at one of the Vegas Exchanges, but that doesn't help history much since everyone there was surely drunk out of their minds.
I don't think I was sober at all during any of the Vegas Exchanges.

falty411

#50 Post by falty411 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:18 pm

GemZombie wrote:
Mr Awesomer wrote:The term was being used well before Leigh starting spreading it further, but I forget exactly whom first used it. Something deep in my memory says it was first spoken (as a dance term) at one of the Vegas Exchanges, but that doesn't help history much since everyone there was surely drunk out of their minds.
I don't think I was sober at all during any of the Vegas Exchanges.
I didnt know that they let sober people attend
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

Surreal

#51 Post by Surreal » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:36 am

djstarr wrote:
yedancer wrote:[nerdtalk] Among some collectible card game players, "jank" refers to card combinations that are complicated, difficult or strange, yet produce powerful or unique results. [/nerdtalk]
like a full house? (the collectible part of this is the chips ;-) ).
Over four years late, but I don't think anyone answered this one. I believe the collectible card game that vedancer referenced was most likely Magic: The Gathering, although it could have been something similar (I believe Duel Masters was popular around 2004-2005).

[/nerdtalk]