Hudson-Delange orchestra - Definition of Swing

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

GemZombie

Hudson-Delange orchestra - Definition of Swing

#1 Post by GemZombie » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:42 am

My wife listens to the 40's channel on XM all the time. Though it's primarily 40's pop, which makes ok background music, it isn't generally my cup of tea. However, occasionally they play some great songs. This morning a song was playing and I quickly ran over to check the display on the XM because it was a great tune.

The XM listed it as the Hudson Delange / Definition of Swing. I searched for the band name and song and only came up with a very shortlived (apparently) band called the Hudson-Delange Orchestra (I believe named for Will Hudson and Eddie Delange -- two prolific song writers).

I can find *no* mention of a song called the Definition of Swing by anyone even close to an original Swing band, and certainly nothing by this orchestra.

So now I ask the experts... has anyone heard this song, and more importantly know where I can find it? (eMusic was a bust). I'm starting to suspect that XM had it wrong...

zzzzoom

#2 Post by zzzzoom » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:51 am

I found an LP that is listed in my library's catalog with the following information:
Author Hudson-DeLange Orchestra
Title Sophisticated swing [sound recording] / Hudson/DeLange Orchestra
Publish Info Los Angeles : Bandstand

Description 1 sound disc (35 min.) : analog, 33 1/3 rpm, mono. ; 12 in
Note Descriptive notes by Kirk De Grazia on container
Performers Dance-orchestra music; Will Hudson and Eddie DeLange, leaders ; vocal by Nan Wynn, Mary McHugh, Georgia Gibbs, Eddie DeLange, and Ruth Gaylor
Note Recorded 1936-1938
Contents Sophisticated swing -- Mr. Sweeney's learned to swing -- Popcorn man -- On the Alamo -- At your beck and call -- I never knew -- Definition of swing -- If we never meet again -- On again, off again -- How was I to know -- What the heart believes -- Goin' haywire
Unfortunately, it's at Bowling Green University and it's for library use only. :(

But it looks like XM didn't make an error . . . now I really want to hear the song.

GemZombie

#3 Post by GemZombie » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:19 am

Jeez, how obscure is that?

I'd be happy if I could even get my hands on vinyl with the song.
Last edited by GemZombie on Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

zzzzoom

#4 Post by zzzzoom » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:27 am

I found some Hudson-DeLange tracks on www.jazz-on-line.com and I really like some of them.

GemZombie

#5 Post by GemZombie » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:29 am

I've emailed XM to see if they can tell me of a source (probably not), or if they can play it again so I can hit the fancy record button on my XM.

zzzzoom

#6 Post by zzzzoom » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:42 am

If you record it, I would love to hear it! 8)

Haydn

Re: Hudson-Delange orchestra - Definition of Swing

#7 Post by Haydn » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:52 am

GemZombie wrote:has anyone heard this song, and more importantly know where I can find it? (eMusic was a bust). I'm starting to suspect that XM had it wrong...
Apparently recorded in 1937. Probably easiest found on vinyl. I haven't heard it, but Hudson-Delange wrote and recorded some top stuff.

Eyeball

#8 Post by Eyeball » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:17 am

zzzzoom wrote:I found an LP that is listed in my library's catalog with the following information:
Author Hudson-DeLange Orchestra
Title Sophisticated swing [sound recording] / Hudson/DeLange Orchestra
Publish Info Los Angeles : Bandstand

Description 1 sound disc (35 min.) : analog, 33 1/3 rpm, mono. ; 12 in
Note Descriptive notes by Kirk De Grazia on container
Performers Dance-orchestra music; Will Hudson and Eddie DeLange, leaders ; vocal by Nan Wynn, Mary McHugh, Georgia Gibbs, Eddie DeLange, and Ruth Gaylor
Note Recorded 1936-1938
Contents Sophisticated swing -- Mr. Sweeney's learned to swing -- Popcorn man -- On the Alamo -- At your beck and call -- I never knew -- Definition of swing -- If we never meet again -- On again, off again -- How was I to know -- What the heart believes -- Goin' haywire
Unfortunately, it's at Bowling Green University and it's for library use only. :(

But it looks like XM didn't make an error . . . now I really want to hear the song.
The BANDSTAND label was a popular bootleg record company in the 70s and 80s.

Likely tons of them on Bay.

I dont know if I have this LP or not.

I see the library didn't include the catalog number.

Here it is - bottom of the page on both these urls.

http://www.afterhours.co.kr/search/sear ... =Bandstand

http://www.musicstack.com/album/hudson/ ... ht-off!_lp

anton

#9 Post by anton » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:01 pm

Here's a sample of a modern version by the Russian Jazz Dance Orchestra. Sounds nice! :wink:
Last edited by anton on Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GemZombie

#10 Post by GemZombie » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:08 pm

anton wrote:Here's a sample of a modern version by the Russian Jazz Dance Orchestra. Sounds nice!
Yikes... the original was soooooo much better than that. That rhythm section is awful :(

Haydn

#11 Post by Haydn » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:13 am

This thread also highlights how much good old music there is on vinyl, which is not currently available on CD or download sites.

GemZombie

#12 Post by GemZombie » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:52 am

Still not able to track this down on Vinyl, despite many attempts by myself and some others.

I did, however, talk to the programming director at XM (a very accommodating man -- I love XM), who has agreed to play the song again on Friday around 10am EST.

Now that I've hyped it up, I wonder if it will be as good as I remember on the second listen ;)

Eyeball

#13 Post by Eyeball » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:02 am

GemZombie wrote:Still not able to track this down on Vinyl, despite many attempts by myself and some others.

I did, however, talk to the programming director at XM (a very accommodating man -- I love XM), who has agreed to play the song again on Friday around 10am EST.

Now that I've hyped it up, I wonder if it will be as good as I remember on the second listen ;)
http://www.musicstack.com/item/93850412 ... on-delange

16 dollars

zzzzoom

#14 Post by zzzzoom » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:52 am

Eyeball wrote:
GemZombie wrote:Still not able to track this down on Vinyl, despite many attempts by myself and some others.

http://www.musicstack.com/item/93850412 ... on-delange

16 dollars
Uh, no. The song, Definition of Swing, isn't on that LP. :(

Eyeball

#15 Post by Eyeball » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:01 am

But it is the same LP you listed as the one in the Bowling Green Uni library.

I dont think Bandstand had more than one H/DeL LP issue.