Laptop suggestions?

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

penguin

Laptop suggestions?

#1 Post by penguin » Wed May 28, 2008 4:17 am

Well the graphics card in my computer has up and died on me so it's time to get a new machine.

I've been thinking of getting a laptop and if I do, I'd like to use it for dj'ing.

I know next to nothing about dj'ing from a laptop (aside from just whacking an ITunes/WMP/Winamp playlist together) so I'm looking for some advice on what I should be looking for, what I'll need, software and that sort of thing.

I'm not tied down to any software but I'd be looking for something that brings me as close as possible to djing by CD.

Also I would like to be able to preview (my memory being as poor as it is). How does this work with laptops? Will I need a second sound card? I'm considering getting something custom built, are two built in sound cards a good idea or should I be looking for something external?

I know there's probably dozens of threads on this topic already :oops: so I'll be very happy with linkys (the search feature here doesn't work too well).

Thanks in advance for the help. :D

Lawrence

#2 Post by Lawrence » Wed May 28, 2008 9:42 am

You mean like the "Laptop DJing" and "When I get a laptop" threads that are both active and just two or three threads down from this one?
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

penguin

#3 Post by penguin » Fri May 30, 2008 5:14 am

Well I didn't quite make my way all the way back through the epic thread of doom but I read the last two years worth of that one and all the other thread (and a couple of others).

Answers a few questions (so I will need a 2nd sound card, but it sounds like they aren't too expensive).

But it's raised a number more.

Everyone who djs off a playlist seem to like JRiver media center. To me it seems like iTunes plus a previewing ability. What else does it bring to the table? And I've downloaded a trial, does anyone know of a guide that will tell me how to use it as a dj ?

And what about other software (that might be more tailored toward DJ'ing), most of it that I've found seems crazy expensive. What's available in the 50-100 USD range?

lipi

#4 Post by lipi » Fri May 30, 2008 1:20 pm

penguin wrote: Everyone who djs off a playlist seem to like JRiver media center. To me it seems like iTunes plus a previewing ability. What else does it bring to the table? And I've downloaded a trial, does anyone know of a guide that will tell me how to use it as a dj ?

And what about other software (that might be more tailored toward DJ'ing), most of it that I've found seems crazy expensive. What's available in the 50-100 USD range?
i use itunes for organising and my live playlist and vlc for previewing. i have vlc set to use the internal sound card of my macbook, and itunes (or the whole system, more accurately) set to use a turtle beach audio advantage micro. i drag and drop files i want to preview into the vlc playlist.

it's free and it's simple (i lost patience with the gui of djay 2 when i tried that). it is, admittedly, a little clunky, but i prefer that to complexity i don't have a complete grasp of.