Music Rights

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Moonmist

Music Rights

#1 Post by Moonmist » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:59 pm

I'm working on a project that is to document Lindy Hop and the preservation of the aspect of American culture. (Terry Monaghan is also involved in this).

So far the projects has alot of clips of interviews w/ Frankie, Dawn, Sugar...etc, there are also alot of current dance clips but there's no music because of the music rights. Can you guys help point me in the direction that finds songs with no rights?

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Toon Town Dave

#2 Post by Toon Town Dave » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:30 pm

If you're in the U.S. or Canada, you're probably out of luck unless you're after pre-swing era public domain stuff.

If you're in Europe where the copyrights have expired on swing era music, then you're probably safe. That's the reason all the reissue labels are out of Europe or the U.K.

fredo

#3 Post by fredo » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:40 pm

perhaps this has things you can use:

http://www.jazz-on-line.com

I think it's legal, though it was shared with me by a friend from the UK, so I dont know if its legal for us here in the states.

Moonmist

#4 Post by Moonmist » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:14 pm

Awesome, Freddie, you rawk!

remysun

#5 Post by remysun » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:38 pm

Another post that got erased.

Have you tried Associated Production Music? ONce you buy the CD or download, you have permission to use the music. They have lots of different tunes, and it's good to be perfectly clear on the legality of your soundtrack-- don't want no Officer and a Gentleman, Quantum Leap, and later Northern Exposure issues.