Jazz podcasts?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

fredo

Jazz podcasts?

#1 Post by fredo » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:32 pm

So I find myself sitting in front of a computer for much of my day when I'm at work, and I've taken to listening to podcasts. I'm wondering, what jazz related podcasts are out there that anyone could recommend?

I usually search and subscribe to podcasts through iTunes, so I'm going to listen to a few episodes of some of the ones that turned up in a generic search for "jazz". I know about Jesse's "Mr. Jesse" already, so I'm interested in other jazz music resources. Anything with Jazz history or profiles of musicians, particularly those of the early jazz and swing eras, would be great.

thanks

zipthebird

#2 Post by zipthebird » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:47 pm

Jazz Profiles on NPR. Hosted by Nancy Wilson. The 4-part series on Duke Ellington is pretty engaging.

FYI (for the luddites in the crowd), if you subscribe to the podcast through ITunes, you only get the last few episodes. More back episodes can be downloaded from the website though.
Last edited by zipthebird on Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JesseMiner

#3 Post by JesseMiner » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:22 pm

I definitely second Jazz Profiles. Great podcast! They have produced a ton of episodes that will certainly keep you busy for a while!

Jesse

Campus Five

#4 Post by Campus Five » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:39 pm

My clarinet player, Russ Reinberg, has been doing a series of semi-weekly podcasts, which are basically like old-school airchecks. The episodes are not particularly well labeled, but some are really pretty good. Several members of the Campus Five can be heard playing on various episodes.
http://westlakerecords.com/podcast.html

I believe they are also on itunes.
"I don''t dig that two beat jive the New Orleans cats play.
My boys and I have four heavy beats to the bar and no cheating!
--Count Basie
www.campusfive.com
www.myspace.com/campusfive
www.swingguitar.blogspot.com

fredo

#5 Post by fredo » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:15 pm

Thanks guys. I started the NPR Jazz Profiles with Duke Ellington: the maestro. I really enjoyed it for its mix of recordings, both popular and lesser known, and the sound bites of the Duke and people who knew him. I'm looking forward to hearing more of these.

Jonathan- thanks for the link, I'll check it out for sure.