A rare Tuxedo Junction by Erskine Hawkins - need help

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

kitkat

A rare Tuxedo Junction by Erskine Hawkins - need help

#1 Post by kitkat » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:09 am

There's a somewhat uptempo, reasonably well-recorded version of "Tuxedo Junction" where a man shouts, near the beginning, "Tux-edo!"
Apparently, it is by Erskine Hawkins and comes off a box set called "Over There: Music of World War II."

You'd think I'd be happy enough, having found a link to buy it. However, I don't really feel like shelling out $20 + S&H for a box set that might be 80% recordings I'd never DJ or already have in higher sound quality.

Worldcat thinks "Over There" is a Hindsight record from 1994, but Hindsight doesn't claim it on their web site. Allmusic, Amazon, CDUniverse, Google, etc. have pretty much never heard of it.

Does anyone know some sort of serial number for this recording of "Tuxedo Junction?" (My guess is it was on a V-disc, but which one?) A date? A place? Etc.

And if no one can come up with any more information about the track or what other albums (with sound samples) I might find it on, can anyone who owns this album say how many tunes (and perhaps even which ones) are gems for the lindy hop dance floor? Maybe I'll buy it if it's chock full of them.

aklamo

#2 Post by aklamo » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:26 am

If it's the version I'm thinking of (where the guy yells out 'tuxedah!' at around 0:15, and the song is approx. 5:46), then you can get it off of iTunes (if that's your thing) on the album 'This is Jazz': http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... =260213219

Haydn

Re: A rare Tuxedo Junction by Erskine Hawkins - need help

#3 Post by Haydn » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:18 am

kitkat wrote:There's a somewhat uptempo, reasonably well-recorded version of "Tuxedo Junction" where a man shouts, near the beginning, "Tux-edo!"
Apparently, it is by Erskine Hawkins and comes off a box set called "Over There: Music of World War II."

You'd think I'd be happy enough, having found a link to buy it. However, I don't really feel like shelling out $20 + S&H for a box set that might be 80% recordings I'd never DJ or already have in higher sound quality.

Worldcat thinks "Over There" is a Hindsight record from 1994, but Hindsight doesn't claim it on their web site. Allmusic, Amazon, CDUniverse, Google, etc. have pretty much never heard of it.

Does anyone know some sort of serial number for this recording of "Tuxedo Junction?" (My guess is it was on a V-disc, but which one?) A date? A place? Etc.

And if no one can come up with any more information about the track or what other albums (with sound samples) I might find it on, can anyone who owns this album say how many tunes (and perhaps even which ones) are gems for the lindy hop dance floor? Maybe I'll buy it if it's chock full of them.
It's not always easy to find stuff on those websites. Anyway, I found that CD on Amazon and allmusic. Only $8 on Amazon Marketplace. No track listing or samples though.

Looks interesting, with some unusual tracks. I often find WWII wartime compilations to be disappointing. They usually have a lot of slushy vocal tracks, poorly recorded. This one might be an exception though, just by the titles and the artists, some of those tracks look quite promising. For sound samples, you can get an idea by looking on allmusic.

I think the version of Tuxedo Junction you are referring to is a live 5 m 44 secs long one, on this CD. It's a real high-energy version compared with the popular 3 m 14 secs one. I'm sure other people can give you more details.

GemZombie

#4 Post by GemZombie » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:28 pm

This version is also on an album called "Holiday for Swing" which features live versions of the title track, and what I think is the version of Tuxedo Junction you're talking about. It's my favorite version of the song. Good tempo, pretty long, and full of energy.

I love this album: http://wm04.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=a ... fexql0ldae

The quality is good, and it's a single album... a lot less than the box set I'm sure :) ( Allmusic says from $9.88 )

Track Listing and notes:

1 Junction Blues - Slow bluesy number
2. Sweet Georgia Brown - Uptempo, great faster tune suitable for Lindy/Bal
3. Five O'Clock Whistle - Not a bad version of the song if you like it. Dancable... I can take it or leave it.
4. Put Yourself in my place - Slower, but good and danceable
5. Nona - Slow, lots of guitar... good tune, dancable
6. Riff Time - Mid/Uptempo, dancable... I like this one.
7. Blue Sea - Mid Tempo, dancable... good tune
8. Shipyard Ramble - Mid Tempo, dancable. Great tune
9. Lucky Seven - MIdTempo, dancable. Good tune.
10. Bear Mash Blues - Very Slow Blues number
11. Tuxedo Junction - Mid tempo, good energy.... see above.
12. Tippin' In - Mid Tempo. Popular dance tune, people like it.
13. Good DIp - Mid Tempo, danceable Ok tune.
14. Sneakin' Out - Similar to Tippin' out. (same tempo/feel).
15. Holiday for Swing - Uptemp, great energy. Love this one.
16. Hawk's Boogie - Uptempo Boogie. Love it.
17. Coast to Coast - Mid Tempo, dancable. Interesting tune.
18. Corn Bread - Mid/Uptempo R&B style tune. Sounds like something Stompy Jones should do. Nice Baritone Sax :) Dancable.
19. After Hours - Bluesy Piano piece.
20. Black out - Slow piece.

So about 80% is Lindy Dancable, and a few are probably suitable for blues (i'm no expert there).

I highly recommend the album. Let me know if you have any questions.

lipi

#5 Post by lipi » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:49 pm

if it's 4:17 (or 3:40, without the talking out-tro) or so long, then it's not from a v-disc, but from a 1944 afrs jubilee programme. you can get it on this cd:
http://www.amazon.com/Best-AFRS-Jubilee ... B000005G9U

and some guy yells "tuxedo" around 0:15 on this one, too.

subst

#6 Post by subst » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:30 pm

kitkat wrote:There's a somewhat uptempo, reasonably well-recorded version of "Tuxedo Junction" where a man shouts, near the beginning, "Tux-edo!"
I'm not sure about "uptempo" - the one I'm thinking of is about 140 bpm.
But it definitely has that man shouting near the beginning.

You can download it for free here. :)
http://www.jazz-on-line.com/a/mp3c/Mon038421.mp3

GemZombie

#7 Post by GemZombie » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:52 am

subst wrote:
I'm not sure about "uptempo" - the one I'm thinking of is about 140 bpm.
But it definitely has that man shouting near the beginning.

You can download it for free here. :)
http://www.jazz-on-line.com/a/mp3c/Mon038421.mp3
It's not the same version.

subst

#8 Post by subst » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:53 am

GemZombie wrote:
The same as what version? :)

GemZombie

#9 Post by GemZombie » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:14 pm

subst wrote:
GemZombie wrote:
The same as what version? :)
The one she's asking about. It's not the same length or tempo.

The version posted there is slower, and just sounds like someone trying to emulate the live version we're talking about.

At least, that's my opinion.

Eyeball

#10 Post by Eyeball » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:30 pm

Instinct tells me that the guy yells out "Tuxedo" at the beginning of each broadcast as T.J. was their theme song.
Will big bands ever come back?

subst

#11 Post by subst » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:05 am

GemZombie wrote: The one she's asking about. It's not the same length or tempo.
How do you know the tempo or length of the version that Katie is talking about? :)
GemZombie wrote: The version posted there is slower, and just sounds like someone trying to emulate the live version we're talking about.

Trying to emulate?? Why should anyone? It is the same Erskine Hawkins :)

GemZombie

#12 Post by GemZombie » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:57 am

subst wrote:
GemZombie wrote: The one she's asking about. It's not the same length or tempo.
How do you know the tempo or length of the version that Katie is talking about? :)
GemZombie wrote: The version posted there is slower, and just sounds like someone trying to emulate the live version we're talking about.

Trying to emulate?? Why should anyone? It is the same Erskine Hawkins :)
Man, argumentative much?
There's a somewhat uptempo, reasonably well-recorded version of "Tuxedo Junction" where a man shouts, near the beginning, "Tux-edo!"
She is talking about a relatively up tempo version. The version you posted is decidedly not up tempo. It maybe Erskine, but it's certainly not the same (or as good imo) as the live version which has far more energy.

I'm relatively certain that the version I mentioned (on "Holiday for Swing") is the one she is asking about.

subst

#13 Post by subst » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:41 am

GemZombie wrote: She is talking about a relatively up tempo version. The version you posted is decidedly not up tempo. It maybe Erskine, but it's certainly not the same (or as good imo) as the live version which has far more energy.

I'm relatively certain that the version I mentioned (on "Holiday for Swing") is the one she is asking about.
The version I've posted is Erskine Hawkins - I'm certain about that. :)

And it's not much slower than the version you're talking about. Mine is about 140, yours is about 148. Not much of difference.

I just don't see the reason you are so sure about "what she meant" :)

GemZombie

#14 Post by GemZombie » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:54 pm

subst wrote:
GemZombie wrote: She is talking about a relatively up tempo version. The version you posted is decidedly not up tempo. It maybe Erskine, but it's certainly not the same (or as good imo) as the live version which has far more energy.

The version I've posted is Erskine Hawkins - I'm certain about that. :)

And it's not much slower than the version you're talking about. Mine is about 140, yours is about 148. Not much of difference.

I just don't see the reason you are so sure about "what she meant" :)
156bpm actually.

Because I find the version you posted decidedly less energetic than this version, therefore I feel confident of my statement. I in no way would consider that one "uptempo", while I would call the the one I've been talking about moderately uptempo.

I believe you that your version is also Erskine... totally besides the point. I really don't understand why we are going back and forth on this...

kitkat

#15 Post by kitkat » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:06 pm

Thanks to both of you! Jesse knew the one I was trying to describe, but subst, I really enjoyed hearing the one that you found. I hadn't known Erskine recorded it twice with someone shouting, "Tuxedo!"