Jive at Five that doesn't fade out?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

michael-t

Jive at Five that doesn't fade out?

#1 Post by michael-t » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:14 am

Hi

I am looking for a good version of Jive at Five that doesn't fade out, for a routine. I looked through: Basie - Echoes of an Era, Count Basie Jazz Portrait
Big Band Box Set, The Complete Decca Recordings and a bunch of other versions, and they all fade out!

Anyone knows of a version that doesn't? Failing that, any one knows of a non basie version of jive at five which is energetic and doesn't fade out?

Thanks,
Michael.

anton

Re: Jive at Five that doesn't fade out?

#2 Post by anton » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:06 pm

It's funny - I was just about to ask if anyone had made a good edit of Jive At Five by Buck Clayton (Mosaic 228) so that I wouldn't have to fade it (it's a tad too long at 9:19...) It's midtempo (165 bpm) but quite energetic so it might work for your routine.

It's true that the original 1939 Basie Jive at Five fades, but it also sounds like they are very close to the end of the song (just repeating the same phrase over and over) so it doesn't hurt much. His Roulette (Mosaic 149) remake also fades, perhaps in honour of the original version. The Clef-Verve (Mosaic 229) version however does not fade out.

Apart from those, my favorite version is by Jo Jones Trio w. Ray Bryant (1958). It's out on a brand new super hi fi disc

JesseMiner

#3 Post by JesseMiner » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:23 pm

Both the Basie versions I have (old and new testament) fade out. Definitely frustrating! I don't know of any other versions that would have quite the same energy as the original Basie version. My favorite laid-back version is by Dave Davies (from his album 3x5), but clocking in at 132 bpm, it might be a bit too relaxed for your needs, BUT it does have an actual ending. :)

Jesse

J-h:n

#4 Post by J-h:n » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:31 pm

anton wrote:The Clef-Verve (Mosaic 229) version however does not fade out.
It doesn't, but it doesn't exactly have a big ending either - just petering out and then stopping. This is a song where the fadeout ending actually makes sense.

And it's a really laid back version - not super slow (just below 140) but certainly not energetic.

Of course, you need the Mosaic set anyway. Everybody does. Right now you can get it new for £26 through the Amazon UK marketplace.

beatnikbrewer

#5 Post by beatnikbrewer » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:12 pm

The Count Basie Kansas City 5 (Basie, Milt Jackson, Joe Pass, John Heard, Louis Bellson) version of Jive at Five does not fade out at the end, although it is of a slower tempo.

Lawrence

#6 Post by Lawrence » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:56 pm

anton wrote:Apart from those, my favorite version is by Jo Jones Trio w. Ray Bryant (1958). It's out on a brand new super hi fi disc
[Nasal, Frankie-Manning-like voice] "You got fiiiive fingers on each hand...." 8)

Definitely one of my favorite versions, too.

The whimper-out (but not fade-out) ending of the Complete Clef/Verve version isn't a "big finish," but it does fit the relaxed, soft tone and attitude of that version and it does contain an actual ending instead of a fade out. Actually, it would sound strange to have "Jive at Five" version that didn't have a soft, laid-back feel to it such that a "big finish" would be appropriate. It just isn't a "big finish" type of song.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Eyeball

#7 Post by Eyeball » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:08 pm

Try the version on the album once called STANDING OVATION - it was done live in Vegas and it was the best Basie album to come out in years at the time - 1969., It would be on MCA now.

I think it has a definite ending b/c someone yells out "Five!" at the end, IIRC.

Great sound quality, too. Whole LP is super superb.
Will big bands ever come back?

anton

#8 Post by anton » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:41 pm

Lawrence wrote:[Nasal, Frankie-Manning-like voice] "You got fiiiive fingers on each hand...." 8)
I always thought he said [Nasal, Frankie-Manning-like voice] "You hold up fiiiive fingers in each hand...." But I have no idea what it means... 8)

Bob the Builder

#9 Post by Bob the Builder » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:17 am

I've got a version of Jive at five by Basie's orchestra that is very up tempo (200 BPM), and doesn't fade out at the end.

The Album has very little liner notes, so I have no idea of the exact recording details. My guess is it is a mid 50's recording.
Song length - 2:50 Studio Recording

Album details:
Count Basie
Swingin' The Blues
Elap Music 16138CD 2000

Brian

michael-t

#10 Post by michael-t » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:38 pm

Lawrence wrote:Actually, it would sound strange to have "Jive at Five" version that didn't have a soft, laid-back feel to it such that a "big finish" would be appropriate. It just isn't a "big finish" type of song.
I need it for a stage routine, that's why I was looking for a definite finish were dancers could strike a definite pose.