good versions of these songs

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

sultan

good versions of these songs

#1 Post by sultan » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:28 pm

I'm looking for other good versions of these songs. All that Meat and no Potatoes, and Blues my Naughty Sweety gives to me... a little help

lipi

#2 Post by lipi » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:01 pm

"other"? than which ones? these?

naughtie sweetie: bechet, "complete blue note", definitive records
meat/potatoes: armstrong, "satch plays fats", columbia/sony

for the latter, try one of fats waller's recordings. i have some from some cheap-o boxed sets (past perfect). there doesn't appear to be much else -- allmusic.com only shows 25 hits. will bradley and les brown each recorded it once, at least. hmm.

as for the former, i've never actually heard another version. allmusic.com shows about 100 matches, though. jimmie noone, earl hines, eddie condon, and firehouse five plus two look pretty interesting. no sound card here, so can't listen to samples, but will do so tonight.

sultan

#3 Post by sultan » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:49 pm

Ha! Sorry I should have been more specific. I have the bechet version from the bluenote album.. I heard someone once play a more uptempo version.. Maybe like 180 bpm.. It sounded a little older too.. And at the seattle exchange I heard once again a song that sounded like all that meat and no potatoes but it was a faster version.. And it didn't have the lyrics in the same place as the popular version.. Anyway it sounded like fats but I wasn't sure.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. And does anyone know of any websites other than itunes where I could buy and download some good swing and jazz music

Jonas

#4 Post by Jonas » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:20 pm

sultan wrote:Ha! Sorry I should have been more specific. I have the bechet version from the bluenote album.. I heard someone once play a more uptempo version.. Maybe like 180 bpm.. It sounded a little older too.. And at the seattle exchange I heard once again a song that sounded like all that meat and no potatoes but it was a faster version.. And it didn't have the lyrics in the same place as the popular version.. Anyway it sounded like fats but I wasn't sure.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. And does anyone know of any websites other than itunes where I could buy and download some good swing and jazz music
a faster and older "blues...naughty" than the bechet one could be a glenn miller one around 180 bpm, but the one i know of has female vocals, so i don't know if it's what you're looking for

as said before, the slower "all that meat..." that you usually hear could most definately be the mid-fifties louis armstrong/velma middleton version, slightly below 110 bpm, and the faster one fats waller's early forties version, around 145 bpm

www.emusic.com is a good resource for me when picking up a few interesting songs here and there that are "new" to me

/jonas

zipthebird

#5 Post by zipthebird » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:57 am

[Slightly off topic]Delta Rhythm Boys do an awesome vocal version of BMSG2M on the album I Dreamt I Dwelt in Harlem. Not really for dancing though.[/off topic]

Eyeball

#6 Post by Eyeball » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:55 am

Blues my Naughty Sweety gives to me ~

There is a radio broadcast by Glenn Miller with a vocal by Dorothy Claire, IIRC. Nice arrangement in a good middle tempo groove.
Will big bands ever come back?

zzzzoom

#7 Post by zzzzoom » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:14 am

Blues/Naughty -

Lu Watter's Yerba Buena Jazz Band - 211 bpm
Gene Krupa's Chicago Jazz Band - 255 bpm

anton

#8 Post by anton » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:53 am

sultan wrote:And at the seattle exchange I heard once again a song that sounded like all that meat and no potatoes but it was a faster version.. And it didn't have the lyrics in the same place as the popular version.. Anyway it sounded like fats but I wasn't sure..
If you heard a slightly faster version of Meat&Potatoes but with abysmal sound quality then it was probably Bon Bon & His Buddies from 1941. About 155 bpm, same lyrics as Fats though.

sultan

#9 Post by sultan » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:36 am

Thanks for all your help

Haydn

#10 Post by Haydn » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:05 am

zzzzoom wrote:Blues/Naughty -

Lu Watter's Yerba Buena Jazz Band - 211 bpm
The sound sample of that sounds good 8) - thanks.