Pop Re-arrangements into Swing(ish)

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

hhedberg

Pop Re-arrangements into Swing(ish)

#1 Post by hhedberg » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:03 pm

I have recently run into several re-arrangements of popular music into swing (or at least swing-like) forms and have am very interested in finding more.

Heres what I have run into so far.

Paul Anka - Rock Swings album
Several songs by the Puppini Sisters (I Will Survive, and Heart of Glass)

Anybody have any other suggestions?

GemZombie

#2 Post by GemZombie » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:34 pm

Well I consider all such stuff very campy... so you might as well take it to it's extreme and find some Richard Cheese.

Been Caught Steeling is quite funny, as is "Baby Got Back".

I can't imagine many people wanting to play his version of "Me So Horny" though. :shock:

Mr Awesomer

Re: Pop Re-arrangements into Swing(ish)

#3 Post by Mr Awesomer » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:16 pm

hhedberg wrote:I have recently run into several re-arrangements of popular music into swing (or at least swing-like) forms and have am very interested in finding more.
Is this for your personal "enjoyment" or are you actually considering playing crap like this at an actual dance?
Reuben Brown
Southern California

fredo

#4 Post by fredo » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:26 pm

GuruReuben wrote:
hhedberg wrote:I have recently run into several re-arrangements of popular music into swing (or at least swing-like) forms and have am very interested in finding more.
Is this for your personal "enjoyment" or are you actually considering playing crap like this at an actual dance?
maybe we should use a "don't ask, don't tell" policy on this one

OneTrueDabe

#5 Post by OneTrueDabe » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:24 pm

GuruReuben wrote:Is this for your personal "enjoyment" or are you actually considering playing crap like this at an actual dance?
Please! We prefer the term "Novelty Record" ...

(Novelty is fun when it's, you know, "novel" -- ie, USED SPARINGLY!)

There was another thread about this recently. Search for "Looking for 'Swing When You´re Winning' style music".

You'll find songs by "The New Morty Show", "Eight to the Bar", even "Pat Boone" put out a whole CD of Metal songs...

hhedberg

#6 Post by hhedberg » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:07 pm

Thanks, I took a look at the other thread and your post was very helpful! I tend to do the same thing and save the more "esoteric" stuff for later, but Im blessed with a scene that has a wide range of musical tastes and dance styles, so these kinds of songs go over very well. I also get a lot of requests for strange stuff like this, and as long as it doesn't mess with the flow I'm happy to play it.

Of course having just admitted that I'm not a strict "Swing" dj and play other kinds of music (and even ENJOY doing so!) mean that I will probably have to be excommunicated from the site. VIVA LA REVOLUTION!

OneTrueDabe

#7 Post by OneTrueDabe » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:56 pm

hhedberg wrote:VIVA LA REVOLUTION!
Hehe! It's always good to have people on *BOTH* sides of the debate...

I, personally, agree with you, though -- push the boundaries; challenge people's expectations. If we all stuck with "safe" well-defined music, it'd be "In The Mood" and "Mack The Knife" for three hours.

"Nobody Listens to 'In the Mood' Anymore; It's Overplayed." (Apologies to Yogi Berra)

Then again, I've been known to put on Jive Bunny once every ~6 months or so... Just to keep the dancers on their toes (and to make them appreciate the rest of my collection that much more! Sort of like, "Just think what I *COULD* have played!" Muahahaha!!) :twisted:

patrik

#8 Post by patrik » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:55 pm

I spent the previous week at Herräng and upstairs in Folkets Hus, they played the standard stuff, which was good most of the time. No Robbie Williams unfortunately.
Downstairs at Dansbanan they played, apart from the regular boogie woogie songs, some very exciting things like "Fever" with Natalie Cole and Ray Charles from "Genius Loves Company" and, now bend your knees and prepare for something different:

- Norah Jones "Don't know why"

Great songs, I had a really good time dancing to them :D
Last edited by patrik on Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

hhedberg

#9 Post by hhedberg » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:48 am

Interesting! One of my all time favorites is the original Fever by Peggy Lee, but I hadn't heard that version. I will have to pick it up, it has a great feel to it.

I believe I have seen some of the West Coast Swing people dance to "Don't know why" before, what were you dancing?

I really love finding "non-safe" music to add some spice to an evening!

patrik

#10 Post by patrik » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:56 am

hhedberg wrote:I believe I have seen some of the West Coast Swing people dance to "Don't know why" before, what were you dancing?
To that particular song I was dancing a combination of balboa, lindy and a little bit of tango.

Toon Town Dave

#11 Post by Toon Town Dave » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:07 am

It works great for nightclub 2-step or slow WCS. I really hope "Don't Know Why" isn't going to become the next "Wade in the Water".

CafeSavoy

#12 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:24 am

Toon Town Dave wrote:It works great for nightclub 2-step or slow WCS. I really hope "Don't Know Why" isn't going to become the next "Wade in the Water".
I think it is already come and gone. It used to get some play time when it first came out.

patrik

#13 Post by patrik » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:42 pm

Slow WCS, what is that?

Eyeball

#14 Post by Eyeball » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:53 pm

patrik wrote:Slow WCS, what is that?
I think that is where you stand still.
Will big bands ever come back?

CafeSavoy

#15 Post by CafeSavoy » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:50 am

Eyeball wrote:I think that is where you stand still.
I think that is advanced wcs footwork for leaders.