Yehoodi Radio Show

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Bob the Builder

#436 Post by Bob the Builder » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:27 am

Great Set Russell.

I so like it, when I have to come over to the computer to find out how is the artist on the playing track. Very exciting set.
It's so nice to have some thing different, and not same old.
Well put together show.

Brian

russell

#437 Post by russell » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:33 am

Setlist from show

Track; Artist; Album

Australian Jazz
1. Now You Has Jazz; The Syncopators; Rhythm Is Our Business
2. Moten Swing; Matt Baker; Talkin' Soul Food
3. Shiny Stockings; Todd Hardy; One Way
4. Blue Drag; Howler's Cotton Club; Howlin' At The 204
5. Birth Of The Blues; David Campbell; The Swing Sessions
6. Basie's Blues; The Rhino Factory; The Rhino Factory
7. Le Belleclaire Blues; James Morrison; Snappy Doo
8. Red Top; Dan Barnett; Point Of No Return
9. L.O.V.E.; Emma Pask; Emma
10. Route 66; eType Jazz; More Than You Asked For
11. Bei Mir Bis Du Schon; Monica Trapaga; Sugar
12. Jump Up Swing It; George Washingmachine & Julie O'Hara; Paper Moon
13. Mop Mop; Ben Jones; 100 Years
14. Sunny Side Of The Street; James Morrison; Three Minds - Swing
15. You're Way Too Hip Baby; Frank Bennett; Five O'Clock Shadow
16. Suffragette City; Jeff Duff; Ground Control To Frank Sinatra
17. Jam On Toast; Hip Mo' Toast; Big Band
18. Never No Lament; Dan Barnett; The Right Track
19. Swingtime In Springtime; Mystery Pacific; Mystery Pacific
20. Red, Red Ride; Tom Baker's Swing Street Orchestra; Krazy Kapers
21. Casa Loma Stomp; Michael McQuaid's Red Hot Rhythmakers; Rhythm of the Day

22. It Don't Mean A Thing If It Ain't Got That Swing; Cootie Williams; Do Nothing 'Till You Hear From Me
23. I'm Crazy About My Baby; Louis Armstrong; Satch Plays Fats
24. Jump Through The Window; Roy Eldridge; Little Jazz Trumpet Giant
25. Good Queen Bess; Johnny Hodges; Everybody Knows Johnny Hodges
26. Bouncin' Around; Alix Combelle; 1937-1942
27. Blues For Stephanie; Monty Alexander; Reunion In Europe
28. Satin Doll; Ella Fitzgerald; Montreux, 1975
29. The Swingers Get The Blues, Too; Duke Ellington; Blues In Orbit
30. Coffee; Honeysuckle Rose; It Could Happen To You
31. Every Day I Have the Blues; Doc Severinsen & His Big Band; Swingin' the Blues
32. Sent For You Yesterday; Count Basie & The Mills Brothers; Annual Report
33. 'T'aint Nobody's Business If I Do; Miki Howard; Miki Sings Billie
34. Smooth Sailing; Horace Henderson; 1940-1941
35. Vine Street Rumble; Ernie Krivda; The Band That Swings
36. Sneakin' Out; Erskine Hawkins; Holiday For Swing
37. Jivin' With Javis; Lionel Hampton; Hall Of Fame
38. Blues In The Groove; Jan Savitt; An Anthology Of Big Band Swing (1930-1955)
39. Sweet Sue, Just You; Sidney Bechet; Shake 'Em Up!
40. Minnie The Moocher's Wedding Day; Henry Red Allen; 1929-1936
41. Beale Street Blues; Fletcher Henderson; Live At The Grand Terrace
42. Shout and Feel It; Count Basie; The Golden Years Vol 1
43. Turn Me Loose; Lionel Hampton; Reunion at Newport 1967
44. Savoy Blues (Live); Earl Hines; Savoy Blues
45. Gran' Ma Plays The Numbers; Sy Oliver; Sycholoswing
46. I Wish I Could Shimmy Like My Sister kate ; Muggsy Spanier; The Ragtime Band Sessions
47. Gangbuster's Holiday; Bunny Berigan; Gangbusters
48. Moppin' and Boppin'; Fats Waller; Ain't Misbehavin'
49. The Minor Riff; Jimmie Lunceford; 1943-45 Broadcasts
50. The Sergeant Was Shy; Charlie Barnet; Showcase
51. Let's Get Together; Chick Webb; 1929-1934
52. Blue Skies; The Cats And The Fiddle; We Cats Will Swing For You
53. Jubilee Hop; Erskine Hawkins; Holiday For Swing
54. Jazz Is His Old Lady And My Old Man; Earl Hines; Jazz Is His Old Lady And My Old Man
55. Confessin' The Blues; Barbara Morrison; I'm Gettin' 'Long All Right
56. Girl Talk; Dakota Staton; Congratulations To Someone
57. Muddy Water; Aretha Franklin; Aretha Sings The Blues
58. Ooh-Shoo-Be-Doo-Bee; Stacey Kent; The Boy Next Door
59. No Name; Count Basie; The Complete Clef-Verve Fifties Studio Recordings
60. Drop Me Off In Harlem; Duke Ellington & Louis Armstrong; The Master Takes
61. Savoy; Lucky Millinder; An Anthology Of Big Band Swing (1930-1955)
62. Has Anybody Here Seen Jackson; Jack Teagarden; Has Anybody Here Seen Jackson
63. Riff Medley; Earl Hines; Indispensable Vol. 1&2 (1939-1940)
64. Peckin'; Benny Goodman; Harry James Years, Volume 1
65. Mr Ghost Goes To Town; Mills Blue Rhythm Band; 1933-1936
66. Buddy Bolden Stomp; Sidney Bechet; Petite Fleur (Quadromania)
67. Oh! Lady Be Good; Artie Shaw; Begin The Beguine
68. Rockin' In Rhythm; Duke Ellington; The Great Paris Concert
69. Blue Lou; The International Sweethearts Of Rhythm; Big Band Jazz The Jubilee Sessions
70. Swingin' Uptown; Jimmie Lunceford; Volume 1 - 1927-1934
71. Wild Mab Of The Fish Pond; Charlie Barnet ; Wings Over Manhattan
72. Shoutin' Blues; Count Basie; Complete Original American RCA-Victor Recordings
73. Blue Violin; Stuff Smith; Cat on a Hot Fiddle
74. Fish Fry; Gene Krupa; Drummer Man
75. Sing You Sinners; Ben Webster; Big Ben #1 - Cotton Tail
76. Swing, Brother, Swing; Billie Holiday; Lady Day - The Best Of Billie Holiday
77. Come And Get It; Casa Loma Orchestra; Stompin' Around
78. Barrelhouse; Mills Blue Rhythm Band; Harlem Heat
79. Sugarfoot Stomp; Fletcher Henderson; Tidal Wave
80. Swing High; Tommy Dorsey; Yes, Indeed!

Jonas

#438 Post by Jonas » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:56 am

Bob the Builder wrote:Great Set Russell.

I so like it, when I have to come over to the computer to find out how is the artist on the playing track. Very exciting set.
It's so nice to have some thing different, and not same old.
Well put together show.

Brian
Yep, I second that, and I particularly enjoyed the first part with lots of contemporary Australian jazz bands I've never heard before.
russell wrote:Setlist from show
Track; Artist; Album
Australian Jazz
1. Now You Has Jazz; The Syncopators; Rhythm Is Our Business
[...]
4. Blue Drag; Howler's Cotton Club; Howlin' At The 204
[...]
11. Bei Mir Bist Du Schon; Monica Trapaga; Sugar
[...]
21. Casa Loma Stomp; Michael McQuaid's Red Hot Rhythmakers; Rhythm of the Day
I know lots of Aussies usually come to Herräng in Sweden every July. Maybe one of you dj guys will make the long trek this year? Russell, Brian, Trevor, anyone? Any chance you could bring some copies of the above mentined cd:s to sell to a jazz-starved guy from the cold north like me, and any other Aussie jazz worth owning for swing dj:ing? :D

Remarkably enough, I actually have a few tracks by Ben Jones (off of "100 Years"), and a few by Tom Baker (off of "Tom Baker and Friends", "Live in Concert", and "The Man from the South"), all of them great, aquired through eMusic Europe!

/Jonas

trev

#439 Post by trev » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:08 pm

Hi Jonas,

I'm not going this year but some of my friends are. I may be able to give them some stuff for you - unless of course Russell or Bob are heading that way anyway...

Jonas

#440 Post by Jonas » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:48 am

trev wrote:Hi Jonas,

I'm not going this year but some of my friends are. I may be able to give them some stuff for you - unless of course Russell or Bob are heading that way anyway...
Hey, too bad you're not coming, but there are other things to do in life than Herräng I guess, not mentioning what you could do with all that money instead of spending it on airfare across the globe...

I'll keep my fingers crossed for some aussie jazz cd:s coming to Herräng, but don't go out of your way to make it happen. PM me if it's on!

/Jonas

Bob the Builder

#441 Post by Bob the Builder » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:19 am

Tom Baker was such a great musician. He passed away a few years ago totally unexpected while on tour in Sweden. He was only in his mid 40's.

Nope, I'm not in Herrang this year. I’m a bit over the Herrang thing these days.
Australian Jazz is the biggest secrete in the world Jazz scene, and most of that comes around by the lack of distribution by the local record companies.
You have to know exactly what you are looking for, in order to find it.
I'm very lucky that the guy I buy my records off is the single most knowledgeable person on Australian Jazz.

Anyway, what's great about Russell’s set, it gives some insights to some of that stuff can be got over the net.

Brian :D

russell

#442 Post by russell » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:15 am

Tom Baker's son Matt is also featured in the set. Different style but still a great talent.

Unfortunately I won't at Herrang this year - maybe one day.
Jonas, check iTunes for the Monica Trapaga track - it is on the Australian iTunes.
I will try to post details of where you can get the material.

Jonas

#443 Post by Jonas » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:24 am

Thanks for the tip Russell.

Trapaga is not on iMusic Sweden though :(

/Jonas

JesseMiner

#444 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:24 pm

July Thursday Guest DJ: Dan Parshall (Knoxville, TN)

Dan Parshall from Knoxville, TN is our July guest DJ on Yehoodi Radio. Here’s a little about Dan:

"Dan started dancing in 1997, and has been active as a dancer, organizer, teacher, and of course DJ. His analytical side has led him to spend countless hours learning about the roots of Swing music, from European harmony to African polyrhythms, and discovering how these aspects blended in America to form the uniquely African-American music, Jazz. When he's not collecting music, cataloging music, dancing to music, or thinking about music, he spends his time caving, volunteering for Big Brothers/ Big Sisters, and supposedly getting a PhD in Physics."

Enjoy! :)

Jesse

JesseMiner

#445 Post by JesseMiner » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:07 pm

August Thursday Guest DJ: Trevor Hutchison (Perth, Australia)

Trevor Hutchison is our August guest DJ on Yehoodi Radio. Here's a little about Trevor:

"Hailing from Perth, the most-furtherest city from anywhere, Trevor has been DJing swing events around Australia for several years. His sets are typically stacked with swingin' stomps, jumps and blues – and songs featuring guys yelling about food. His classic-themed Yehoodi set explores some of his favorite foot-tappers, killer dillers and hidden jems from early jazz through to honkin rhythm and blues. When not hunting for out-of-print jazz recordings, Trevor messes around as a graphic designer and pretends he can play sax."

Jesse

Bob the Builder

#446 Post by Bob the Builder » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:41 pm

ooooh.

:D

Brian

russell

#447 Post by russell » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:59 pm

Looking forward to hearing your set Trev 8)

<Shameless plug>

Canberrang (Canberra's Exchange) will feature as some of its DJs

Manu "Spuds" Smith (DJ supremo)
Russell "Iron DJ" Turner (previous guest yehoodi DJ)
Brian "Bob The Builder" Renehan (previous guest yehoodi DJ)
Trev "From The West" Hutchinson (current guest yehoodi DJ)

http://www.canberrang.org/Canberrang/index.htm

Still time to book those international flights and make it in time :D :D

<End Shameless Plug>

Jonas

#448 Post by Jonas » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:54 am

Looking forward to your set Trev :)

Hope to catch it this coming Thursday (just arrived home from France).

Set list?

/Jonas

trev

#449 Post by trev » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:32 am

Set list:

Name - Artist - Year - Album

Things Ain't What They Used To Be/Going Up - Duke Ellington & His Orchestra - 1943 - Hollywood Swing & Jazz: Hot Numbers (Disc 1)
John Hardy's Wife - Duke Ellington & His Orchestra - 1941 - The Duke Ellington Centennial Edition (disc 11)
Blues Galore - Johnny Dodds & His Chicago Boys - 1938 - Johnny Dodds - 1928-1940
House Rent Party Day - Louis Prima & His New Orleans Gang - 1934 - Complete Brunswick & Vocalion Recordings of Louis Prima and Wingy Manone (1924-1937)
Stomp, Stomp - The Cats & The Fiddle - 1941 - We Cats Will Swing For You
Sweet Sue - Dicky Wells & His Orchestra w Django Reinhardt - Swingin In Paris, Vol. 1
Louisiana - Casey MacGill's Blue 4 Trio - 2005 - Casey MacGill's Blue 4 Trio
Rock My Soul - Cangelosi Cards - 2007 - Down Home Live
New Orleans Hop Scop Blues - Jimmie Noone & His Orchestra - 1940 - New Orleans Jazz [The Soho Collection]
Imagination - Bennie Moten & His Kansas City Orchestra - 1932 - Band Box Shuffe (Disc 2)
Shoe Shine Boy - Jones-Smith, Inc. - 1936 - America's #1 Band, Disc 1 (Columbia)
Texas Shuffe - Count Basie & His Orchestra - 1938 - The Complete Decca Recordings (Disc 2)
627 Stomp - Pete Johnson - 1940 - Kansas City Legend
'Fore Day Rider - Jay McShann & His Orchestra w Walter Brown - 1941 - Jumpin' The Blues (Disc 1)
The Breaks - Albert Ammons & His Rhythm Kings - 1944 - 1929-45
Rose Room - Jimmie Lunceford & His Orchestra - 1934 - Swingsation: Jimmie Lunceford
Passionette - Teddy Hill & His Orchestra - 1936 - World Of Swing
Shanghai Shuffe - Fletcher Henderson & His Orchestra - 1924 - The Fletcher Henderson Story (1)
Black Bottom Stomp - Jelly Roll Morton - 1926 - Jazz King Of New Orleans
Hot Town - Fess Williams & His Royal Flush Orchestra - 1929 - Fess Williams 1926 - 30 Volume 1
Algiers Stomp - Mills Blue Rhythm Band - 1936 - Mills Blue Rhythm Band 1933-1936 (Disc 2)
Singin' The Blues - Frankie Trumbauer And His Orchestra - 1927 - The Best Of Ken Burns Jazz
Meet The Band - Edgar Hayes & Orchestra - 1938 - 1937-38
A Bee Gezindt - Cab Calloway & His Orchestra - 1939 - Classic Chu Berry Columbia and Victor Sessions Disc 6
Redskin Rumba - Charlie Barnet & His Orchestra - 1940 - Cherokee
Airmail Special - Cootie Williams & His Orchestra - 1944 - Big Band Jazz Jubilee Sessions 2
Uncle Joe - Grant and Wilson - 1938 - Okey Doke
Sugar Blues - Clyde McCoy & His Orchestra - 1931 - Let's Dance: Themes Of The Big Bands 1934-1947
Sharpy - Cootie Williams & His Rug Cutters w Scat Powell - 1938 - Duke Ellington: 1936-1940 Small Group Sessions
Boot To Boot - Jesse Stone And His Blue Serenaders - 1927 - The Real Kansas City Of The '20s '30s & '40s
Dixieland Stomp (Moldy Fig Stomp) - Chubby Jackson & His Jacksonville Seven - 1946 - Summit Meetings 1939-1950 (Disc 2)
Memphis Blues - Muggsy Spanier - Classic Jazz Archive: Muggsy Spanier
At The Jazz Band Ball - Sidney Bechet - 1949 - Tin Roof Blues
All That Meat And No Potatoes - Louis Armstrong & Velma Middleton - 1955 - Satch Plays Fats (especially for Mr Hui Hui)
Riffin' The Blues - Lil "Brown Gal" Armstrong & Her Dixielanders - 1940 - The Chronological Lil Hardin Armstrong 1936-1940
Royal Garden Blues - Benny Goodman Sextet - 1940 - Genius Of Electric Guitar (Disc 2)
Rockin' Rollers' Jubilee - Erskine Hawkins & His Orchestra - 1938 - The Original Tuxedo Junction
I Hope Gabriel Likes My Music - Gene Krupa & His All Star Swing Band - 1936 - Centennial Collection: Benny Goodman
Mama Don't Allow It - Julia Lee - 1947 - Julia Lee: That's What I Like (Proper Introduction)
Blow Top Blues - Dinah Washington w Lionel Hampton & His Sextet - 1946 - Greatest Hits 1946 1953 (Disc 1)
Sam Jones Done Snagged His Britches On - Louis Jordan & His Tympany Five - 1938 - Louis Jordan And His Tympany Five, Volume #1
Hey Spo-Dee-O-Dee - Wild Bill Moore - 1950 - The Big Horn: Honkin' & Screamin' Saxophone (Disc 1)
The Day Big Jay Came To Town - Adam Hall & The Velvet Playboys featuring Big Jay McNeely - 2007 - I've Got News For You
K-Ration Hop - Lionel Hampton & His Orchestra - 1944 - Big Band Jazz Jubilee Sessions 3
Li'l Dog - Buddy Johnson & His Orchestra - 1947 - 1947-1949
Fat Meat 'n Greens - Edgar Hayes & His Stardusters - 1948 - 1938-1948
Swing Along With Me - Buddy Johnson & His Band w The Mack Sisters - 1940 - 1939-42
It's Too Hot For Words - Teddy Wilson & His Orchestra w Billie Holiday - 1935 - Too Hot For Words
Effervescent Blues - John Kirby & His Orchestra - 1939 - World Of Swing
Harvard Blues - Count Basie & His Orchestra w Jimmy Rushing - 1941 - America's #1 Band, Disc 3 (Columbia)
The Goon Drag - Sam Price & His Texas Blusicians - 1941 - The Complete 1936-1951 Small Group Sessions, Vol. 6 (Rare Items)
Blues In C Sharp Minor - Teddy Wilson & His Orchestra - 1936 - Classic Chu Berry Columbia and Victor Sessions Disc 2
On The Sunny Side Of The Street - Marie Bryant w Lester Young - 1944 - Hollywood Swing & Jazz: Hot Numbers (Disc 1)
Creole Love Call - Duke Ellington & His Orchestra - 1966 - The Duke Ellington Centennial Edition (disc 22)
Body And Soul - Coleman Hawkins - 1939 - Coleman Hawkins - Meet Doctor Foo
Straight No Chaser - Thelonious Monk - 1951 - Genius Of Modern Music (Vol.2) (RVG Edition)
Dizzy Atmosphere - Dizzy Gillespie Sextet Featuring Charlie Parker - 1945 - Odyssey 1945-1952
Little John Special - Lucky Millinder & His Orchestra - 1942 - Apollo Jump
Look Out (The Lindy Hoppers Shout) - Slim Gaillard & His Flat Foot Floogie Boys - 1939 - Laughing in Rhythm: The Flat Foot Floogie (Disc 1)
Blues In The Night - Loumell Morgan Trio - 1946 - Very Best Of Jivin' Singers On The Piano
Gabriel Meets The Duke - Erskine Hawkins and His Orchestra w Duke Ellington - Erskine Hawkins And His Orchestra Selected Hits Vol. 2
Flat Face (Instrumental) - Louis Jordan & His Tympany Five - 1938 - Louis Jordan And His Tympany Five, Volume #1
Demi-tasse (alt tk) - Barney Bigard & His Jazzpoators - 1937 - Duke Ellington: 1936-1940 Small Group Sessions
Charlie's Dream - Benny Goodman Sextet - 1940 - Genius Of Electric Guitar (Disc 2)
Father Steps In - Earl Hines & His Orchestra - 1939 - Earl Hines
Oh Boy, I'm In The Groove - Horace Henderson & His Orchestra w Viola Jefferson - 1940 - Horace Henderson 1940, Fletcher Henderson 1941
After Hours - Erskine Hawkins & His Orchestra - 1940 - The Original Tuxedo Junction
Tin Roof Blues - Sidney Bechet's Blue Note Jazzmen - 1949 - Tin Roof Blues
Your Feet's Too Big - Fats Waller & His Rhythm - 1939 - A Handful of Fats
Four and One-Half Street (alt tk) - Barney Bigard & His Jazzpoators - 1937 - Duke Ellington: 1936-1940 Small Group Sessions
Sweet And Slow - Harlem Hot Shots - 1935 - Complete Brunswick & Vocalion Recordings Of Louis Prima And Wingy Manone (1924-1937)
Black And Tan Fantasy - Jimmie Lunceford & His Orchestra - 1934 - Rhythm Is Our Business
Bojangles - Duke Ellington & His Orchestra - 1940 - ELLINGTON Ko-Ko
Hullabaloo - McKinney's Cotton Pickers - 1930 - Cotton Picker's Scat: Vol. 2-1930
Jangled Nerves - Fletcher Henderson & His Orchestra - 1936 - Classic Chu Berry Columbia and Victor Sessions Disc 2
Yeah Man - Count Basie & His Orchestra - 1943 - Big Band Box: One O'Clock Jump (Disc 2)
Jumpin' At The Woodside/One O'Clock Jump [Live] - Count Basie & His Orchestra - 1941 - America's #1 Band, Disc 4 (Columbia)

JesseMiner

#450 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:32 pm

September Thursday Guest DJ: Manu Smith (San Francisco, CA)

Manu Smith is our September guest DJ on Yehoodi Radio. Here's a little about Manu:

"I've been DJing swing since about 2001. It was a great way to force myself to grow my swing music collection. My set this month is a "best of" songs from my Yehoodi Radio show "Sides of Spuds" which has been running for over a year. It was tough to pick only 4 hours of songs from over 20 hours of favorites, but I think I've done a pretty good job. Tune in Thursdays to hear some toe-tappin tunes."

Jesse