Favourite recording of ... Don't Be That Way?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Haydn

Favourite recording of ... Don't Be That Way?

#1 Post by Haydn » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:01 am

The question about Christopher Columbus seemed to arouse some interest, so here's another one. What's your favourite version of 'Don't Be That Way', composed by Edgar Sampson. There's quite a choice available on allmusic

Eyeball

#2 Post by Eyeball » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:23 am

I have 2-

the 1941 Goodman recording on Columbia

the Harry James recording, also on Columbia, circa late 40s or early 50s.

The 41 BG cuts the 38 BG. The James is just gooood!
Will big bands ever come back?

Haydn

#3 Post by Haydn » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:44 am

Eyeball wrote:the 1941 Goodman recording on Columbia
Do you mean this one?

Eyeball

#4 Post by Eyeball » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:27 am

Yes - that sounds like it. The brass section has a real snap and kick to it. 41 was one of the best BG bands ever.

As yu may have read, that 1941 version on Columbia was never intended for release and was done for some Columbia Records executive. It sat there unissued for near 50 years until it came out on a bootleg LP and then a legit issue. It may be Sid Catlett on drums, too. Goodman solos like a demon, as he does on just about everything from that period.

Another good thing - it has great sound quality.

Do you like it? Do you prefer the 1938 studio session for Victor or the Carnegie Hall performance?

Haydn

#5 Post by Haydn » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:36 am

Eyeball wrote:Do you like it? Do you prefer the 1938 studio session for Victor or the Carnegie Hall performance?
I'll need to hear it all the way through before deciding (thanks to your suggestion, I've ordered a CD called The Different Version which includes it. Great sound quality though :) - I'm looking forward to hearing the CD.

Eyeball

#6 Post by Eyeball » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:03 am

There's great stuff on that series. It's all either alternate takes or stuff that never came out for one reason or another. All bootleg and lifted from Columbia.

For dancing purposes, there are some overlooked gems, both vocal and instrumental

Perfidia Lazy River Yours Oh! Look at Me Now Amapola Fiesta in Blue Cherry Good Evenin', Good Lookin' I Found a Million Dollar Baby (In a Five and Ten Cent Store) Don't Be That Way Tuesday at Ten Pound Ridge

Lots of good. solid middle tempo stuff. All the BG pop tunes of the period have a real edge to them, especially the cover versions of other band's hits.

And if you are a Helen Forrest fan, she sings "Million Dollar Baby" as if she owned the song. Greatest version of that tune I ever heard. She really plays around with the phrasing.

Another great BG recording of the period is "The Count". No one ever plays it!

Another rgeat thing about all this Goodman sstuff from late 40 and 41 - the sound quality is as good as you will ever hear with depth and clarity that is amazing.

dancin_hanson

#7 Post by dancin_hanson » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:46 am

Back to "Don't Be That Way", my favorite is Chick Webb's uptempo version. I like Jimmy Dorsey's too (from "Swingsation"), as an alternate to BG's.

Eyeball

#8 Post by Eyeball » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:05 pm

The Glenn Miller AAF band version is very good, too. Starts out very mellow then moves along to a great ride-out chorus.

Jonas

#9 Post by Jonas » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:31 pm

dancin_hanson wrote:Back to "Don't Be That Way", my favorite is Chick Webb's uptempo version. I like Jimmy Dorsey's too (from "Swingsation"), as an alternate to BG's.
Chick Webb, for sure. Nothing beats the pure excitement of that one. Music made for dancing in it's essence.

/Jonas

Eyeball

#10 Post by Eyeball » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:46 pm

Sinatra has a good big band vocal version from the early 60s. Good medium tempo....there is an Ella, too......good, IIRC.

kitkat

#11 Post by kitkat » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:50 pm

Jonas wrote:Nothing beats the pure excitement of that one. Music made for dancing in it's essence.
Ditto. You said it well. I, three, vote for Chick Webb uptempo.

Also, Eyeball, this is a "your absolute favorite" thread, not a, "Show the not-so-avid-collector swing dance DJs how many records you've listened to by naming every decent version you've heard" thread. :-Þ

Eyeball

#12 Post by Eyeball » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:56 pm

kitkat wrote: Also, Eyeball, this is a "your absolute favorite" thread, not a, "Show the not-so-avid-collector swing dance DJs how many records you've listened to by naming every decent version you've heard" thread. :-Þ
I'm not trying to show off, I am trying to share knowledge. Revel in it while ye may.

Haydn

#13 Post by Haydn » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:14 pm

The Chick Webb one is good, but for me, it's too fast for the melody. I like Mildred Bailey's medium-paced one and Jimmy Dorsey's faster one. But I'm discovering new versions all the time :wink:

Eyeball

#14 Post by Eyeball » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:40 pm

Haydn wrote:The Chick Webb one is good, but for me, it's too fast for the melody. I like Mildred Bailey's medium-paced one and Jimmy Dorsey's faster one. But I'm discovering new versions all the time :wink:
Sorreeee...but KitKat had forbidden excessive tune naming in this thread. You are only allowed to chose your very sooper-dooper favorite., then go brush your teeth and make sure you are in bed by 8 pm, young man!!! :lol:

GemZombie

#15 Post by GemZombie » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:27 am

My favorite version of Don't Be that way comes from a Lionel Hampton Combo recording. (It's on the first disc of the proper box set - "Hot Mallets"). The Chick Webb version is a very close second... and depending on what I'm in the mood for, they may swap positions.