Are dancers musical tastes changing?

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Roy

Are dancers musical tastes changing?

#1 Post by Roy » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:10 pm

I just had a series of the weirdest requests at Soflex during late night. within a span of an hour I got a request for Tom Jones-Sex Bomb, another one for anything from the latest Justin Timberlake record, and a third request for anything modern. All of these sound like songs that are more appropriate for a west coast swing setting. During this time I was djing a set that was mostly groovy jazz, with some classic big band, and a few Chicago blues songs.

I have been been DJing for 8 years all over the country and I have never experienced a series of requests like that. I didn't play any of them but I found it odd. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Mr Awesomer

#2 Post by Mr Awesomer » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:10 pm

Considering the title of your thread is "Are dancers musical tastes changing?" I would say NO, they aren't changing. Dancers like to dance to music that makes them want to dance. :lol:
Reuben Brown
Southern California

lipi

#3 Post by lipi » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:59 pm

did you play the "weird" requests? i would not be surprised to see one trigger the next.

"sex bomb". heheheh. guilty pleasure. i like that song. *blush*

Toon Town Dave

#4 Post by Toon Town Dave » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:13 pm

Were the requests from locals or visitors? If it was locals, perhaps that stuff is common and they are used to/expect it/believe it to be normal Lindy Hop music.

Something I've found DJing events away from home is that every scene seems to have a few nuggets that are not necessarily what you'd expect but the locals just like it for whatever reason. I just consider it novelty music, for example I often play "Shama Lama Ding Dong" by the Band of Oz, not really what I'd call Lindy Hop music but dancers love it because it's a fun novelty tune for a Lindy event.

Roy

#5 Post by Roy » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:25 pm

Toon Town Dave wrote:Were the requests from locals or visitors? If it was locals, perhaps that stuff is common and they are used to/expect it/believe it to be normal Lindy Hop music.

Something I've found DJing events away from home is that every scene seems to have a few nuggets that are not necessarily what you'd expect but the locals just like it for whatever reason. I just consider it novelty music, for example I often play "Shama Lama Ding Dong" by the Band of Oz, not really what I'd call Lindy Hop music but dancers love it because it's a fun novelty tune for a Lindy event.
They were visitors, one was from Chicago the other 2 I don't know where they were from but it wasn't South Florida.

Swifty

Re: Are dancers musical tastes changing?

#6 Post by Swifty » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:57 pm

Roy wrote:I just had a series of the weirdest requests at Soflex during late night. within a span of an hour I got a request for Tom Jones-Sex Bomb, another one for anything from the latest Justin Timberlake record, and a third request for anything modern. All of these sound like songs that are more appropriate for a west coast swing setting. During this time I was djing a set that was mostly groovy jazz, with some classic big band, and a few Chicago blues songs.

I have been been DJing for 8 years all over the country and I have never experienced a series of requests like that. I didn't play any of them but I found it odd. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
When I went to SoFlex a couple of years ago I found attendees there a good deal more varied regarding what they wanted to hear for swing dancing than most anywhere else I've been.
"Dance like it hurts. Love like you need money. Work when people are watching."

Lawrence

Are dancers tastes changing?

#7 Post by Lawrence » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:48 am

Yes, and they should: to prevent stagnation.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Swifty

#8 Post by Swifty » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:40 pm

I'm also starting to see a trend of Soul/R&B "Lindy" Exchanges cropping up, which I find weird.
"Dance like it hurts. Love like you need money. Work when people are watching."

CafeSavoy

#9 Post by CafeSavoy » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:19 pm

Swifty wrote:I'm also starting to see a trend of Soul/R&B "Lindy" Exchanges cropping up, which I find weird.
Could it be a reaction to the hot jazz trend? Dancers oscillating on both sides of the swing era?

Mr Awesomer

#10 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:10 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:Could it be a reaction to the hot jazz trend?
What "hot jazz trend" is that?
Has there been any "Hot Jazz Lindy Exchange" 's?
...and I'm being serious. I'm quite out of the loop.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Toon Town Dave

#11 Post by Toon Town Dave » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:33 pm

If it was really a reaction to hot jazz, I'd expect it'd be Kenny G and not soul/R&B.

My suspicion is the Soul/R&B exchanges are driven by the folks who started dacing when that stuff was more common in the Lindy scene, also about the same time the westies quit dancing to it and started dancing to mostly disco/hip hop/remix stuff. I'd go to a westie or shag event that features lots of Soul/R&B but for Lindy Hop, I agree with swifty, it's weird.

For Reuben's reference, the closest thing to a Hot Jazz exchange I know of was the Funky Butt weekend in Vancouver, BC in November 2005, a weekend which had 3 hot bands and 1 swing band playing mostly early swing arrangements. It wasn't supposed to be an exchange but was effectively that with the large number of out of towners.

JSAlmonte

#12 Post by JSAlmonte » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:01 pm

Swifty wrote:I'm also starting to see a trend of Soul/R&B "Lindy" Exchanges cropping up, which I find weird.
blame Peter Strom.

tornredcarpet

#13 Post by tornredcarpet » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:12 pm

JSAlmonte wrote:
blame Peter Strom.
LOL word to that.
Jesse (Los Angeles, CA/Hampton Roads, VA)

CafeSavoy

#14 Post by CafeSavoy » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:54 am

GuruReuben wrote:
CafeSavoy wrote:Could it be a reaction to the hot jazz trend?
What "hot jazz trend" is that?
Has there been any "Hot Jazz Lindy Exchange" 's?
...and I'm being serious. I'm quite out of the loop.
Well, in that case, it really must be Peter's fault. At least it's not a Prince revival.

tornredcarpet

#15 Post by tornredcarpet » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:09 am

CafeSavoy wrote: Well, in that case, it really must be Peter's fault. At least it's not a Prince revival.
GemZombie would take offense at that.
Jesse (Los Angeles, CA/Hampton Roads, VA)