Leonard Feather

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Haydn

Leonard Feather

#1 Post by Haydn » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:47 am

I discovered this CD recently. Apparently Leonard Feather was a famous critic who also got musicians together to record occasionally.

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sq ... 3zefbk8gfj

Has anybody heard of him before?

trev

#2 Post by trev » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:01 am

Yes, he was part of Esquire Magazine's All Star recordings in the 40s, and 'recorded' as "Leonard Feather's Esquire All Stars". Look for the "Summit Meetings 1939-1950" CD set.

PhysicsDan

#3 Post by PhysicsDan » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:28 am

IIRC, it was this series of recordings that prompted Eddie Condon to say something (reports vary) along the lines of:

Why do we need a Frenchman coming over here to tell us how to play jazz? Do I go over there and tell them how to jump on a grape?
In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it's the exact opposite.
-P. Dirac

Eyeball

#4 Post by Eyeball » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:43 pm

PhysicsDan wrote:IIRC, it was this series of recordings that prompted Eddie Condon to say something (reports vary) along the lines of:

Why do we need a Frenchman coming over here to tell us how to play jazz? Do I go over there and tell them how to jump on a grape?
Condon was talking about Hughes Pannasie of France.

Leonard Feather was British.
Will big bands ever come back?

Haydn

#5 Post by Haydn » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:49 pm

Eyeball wrote:Leonard Feather was British.
I thought he was - thanks 8)

Eyeball

#6 Post by Eyeball » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:59 pm

Stanley Dance was British, too. One the scene when it was all happening. I like his writing very much.

I know I learned a lot about the history of Swing bands by reading LP liner notes written by Stanley Dance. He had impeccable taste. And he found a wife who had the same taste and skill, Helen Oakley.

Lucky!
Will big bands ever come back?