Equalizers while laptop DJing?

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

PhysicsDan

#1 Post by PhysicsDan » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:56 pm

Having read 30 pages of the "Laptop DJing" thread, I didn't want to add to it with a tangential question...

Do y'all deal with equalizer issues? I've messed with PJDJ Red and iTunes (although not lately), but neither seems to have an equalizer option. In my experience, tweaking some of the bands on the EQ can make a BIG difference in sound quality, especially in certain venues. (Line noise? Cut the 60Hz and boost the 100; horns too sharp? drop the med-highs; etc.). Granted, it doesn't do everything, but it's useful.

Because of this, I've often used WinAmp, which lets me tweak things as I need. I'm interested in other programs with different search options. I use the windows search feature right now, I've got a pretty decent memory and all my songs include, ie, (129) for 129BPM, so I'm able to do a fair amount.

I realize I can use iTunes as a search feature only, independent from my output program- I'm considering moving that direction, since I can add my own metadata (and now have an idea of how to back it up).

Basically, I'm wanting to keep the associative memory aspect of CDs (which I still use), but also have the search options. I have a 2 CD with mixer Gemini system that I use for CDs.

While my mixer is a cheapie, and doesn't allow for EQ, my amplifier is an old 1970s Yamaha mixer board I inherited (don't laugh- the thing's a workhorse!), and it DOES have an EQ.

So, basically, while I'm OK for home, travelling leaves me without an EQ, and I'm wanting to know how other folks deal with that. In principle I could buy a seperate external EQ, but I'd like thoughts from the collective.

Dan
In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it's the exact opposite.
-P. Dirac

Lars

#2 Post by Lars » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:13 pm

Hi Dan,
I use the equalizer in iTunes to tweek the sound as well as a very small mixer that I bought at Radio Shack on clearance.

The reason that I use the mixer is to plug in a microphone and to provide a way for a 2nd DJ to be hooked up and ready to go. I also can adjust a little more bass and treble.

The programs that you mention all have virtual graphic equalizers to the best of my knowledge. Tho' my favorite is the iTunes one, it even has a pre-amp.

Line noise is sometimes caused by bad ju-ju like neon or an icemaker on the same circuit (it's true!) I've had to run a long extension cord to find a "clean" source for my 'lectricity.

Haydn

Re: Equalizers while laptop DJing?

#3 Post by Haydn » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:36 pm

PhysicsDan wrote:Do y'all deal with equalizer issues?
Hi,

I don't fully understand your post, and I have never DJ'd from a laptop myself, only from CDs. I do intend to in the future.

At home, though, I use a Mac with iTunes for my collection. Since I discovered how to make custom EQ settings in iTunes, and save different ones for each track, my music sounds much better. (It was confusing at first, as there are different ways to access the equaliser and set it for a track). Another tool that you might find useful for improving the sound quality (especially the bass) from iTunes or WinAmp is Volume Logic. There's a free trial available via their website - http://www.volumelogic.com/index.asp?co ... icPlugins2

Bob the Builder

#4 Post by Bob the Builder » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:57 am

Mmmm

I'm a little unsure of the question also.
I use my WinAmp EQ all the time, and I've even tried out using a 1/3 octive EQ on Winamp, but I am no deciding just to go back to the 1 octive EQ that is with the standard WinAmp.

Can you re-state you question, and I'll tell you how I use and don't use the EQ.

Brian :D

Bob the Builder

#5 Post by Bob the Builder » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:08 am

PS

here are some links on EQ's I found a year back.

link
link

Brian

Haydn

#6 Post by Haydn » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:58 am

Bob the Builder wrote:PS

here are some links on EQ's I found a year back.

link
link

Brian
Those are good stuff Brian 8)

Toon Town Dave

#7 Post by Toon Town Dave » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:19 pm

Before bothering with Eq to get rid of 60Hz line noise + harmonics if they're present, I'd first look at the cablling. Good shielded cables may solve or mitigate the problem better, especially if it's happening after the device doing the Eq. Using balanced inputs/outputs instead of the normal RCA line in/out when they're available should help too.

The second article Brian linked to is kind of amusing. It shows the graph of a supposedly 32Hz sine wave on a spectrum analyzer. Only half the power is at 32Hz, the rest is at 64 and 128, harmonics that shouldn't be present on a pure sine wave. Obviously something is introducing a lot of distortion ... 1:1, a 0db SNR ... pretty sad.

Bob the Builder

#8 Post by Bob the Builder » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:02 am

With line noise I would recommend looking at

This thread

this will give you the low down on most line noise problem solving.

EQ however does not have anything to do with line noise. It can only alter the
frequencies with in the recording.

Brian :-)

Bob the Builder

#9 Post by Bob the Builder » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:59 pm

here is another very good link what will help you understand what is happening in some of the frequency ranges.

Brian

Surreal

Re: Equalizers while laptop DJing?

#10 Post by Surreal » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:29 pm

Lars wrote:Line noise is sometimes caused by bad ju-ju like neon or an icemaker on the same circuit (it's true!) I've had to run a long extension cord to find a "clean" source for my 'lectricity.
I get this problem all the time, and my computer is particularly bad for humming. I find it especially problematic in renovated rooms or additions where the wiring hasn't been grounded properly or is just "dirty".

Simple short term solution: unplug your computer and run off the battery.

Toon Town Dave

#11 Post by Toon Town Dave » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:22 pm

Fine for short sets but not so great for longer sets or situations where a fire extinguisher isn't handy.

Bob the Builder

#12 Post by Bob the Builder » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:10 pm

A big problem with laptops is the Headphone jack.

It surprises me how many swing DJ's don't use an external sound card for their music output. A Laptop computer Headphone Jack is just for casual personal listening to audio. Between the computer fan, hard drive and CD drive as well as odd wiring connections you can get a very noisy output.

USB laptop sound cards are very cheap and really there is no excuse for DJ’s not using them or some thing similar.

However this still won't eliminate ground loops. See my above post for how to solve them.

Brian :D

Racetrack

#13 Post by Racetrack » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:46 am

I agree that using a graphic equalizer to deal with 60 cycle hum is a solution only for the most desparate of circumstances ... where the recording you are using itself is damanged, and the equipment you are using is not causing the problem.

If the equipment is causing 60 cycle hum you just have to bite the bullet and fix the problem using the suggestions in earlier posts in this thread.

The problem with fixing 60 cycle hum with a graphic equalizer is that it does not know hum from actual musical sounds in the bass range that just happen to be in the 60 hertz range. So it deletes "signal" along with "noise". Also, as a previous poster mentioned, problems with cabling and grounding, etc. can introduce sounds you don't want at other frequency ranges.

A better us of the graphic equalizer and other special effects filters is to "tune" your recordings to emphasize your equipment's best features and "fit in" best with the acoustical environment of your venue. (For example, if the venue absorbs too much sound due to crowded floor and other sound traps in the acoustic environment, a small amount of "echo" like you get in a "concert hall sound" filter may compensate if you don't overdo it. An "echo-ey" room with a hollow sound may benefit from doing things to increase "presence".)

Cyrano de Maniac

#14 Post by Cyrano de Maniac » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:23 pm

Also remember this rule of thumb: Cut frequencies to make things sound good; boost frequencies to make things sound different.

Brent

Lawrence

#15 Post by Lawrence » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:34 pm

To answer the original question, I always use the physical controls on the sound system to adjust the EQ from song to song, not the equalizer controls in the software. The physical controls are much easier to grab and change in an instant when corrections/adjustments are necessary. Using the software for this function simply takes too long.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com