Tommy Dorsey - Hot Stuff 1940 - 1942

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Eyeball

#16 Post by Eyeball » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:22 pm

http://tinyurl.com/mgywo

20 samples of the Dorsey band with Connie Haines singing - all live - all 1940.

Even though it a CH CD, TD naturally gets a lot of space.

She is really good, great personality...something really missing from today's scene.....She and Dorsey are funny on "Georgia On My Mind"....

Great arrangements, great section work.......a flawless band.....

BTW -This is the band that Bunny Berigan returned to after his own band fell apart. You can hear him on several samples..like "I'm Nobody's Baby".

You don't even get to hear CH on some of these samples b/c of the way they edited them.

Jonas

#17 Post by Jonas » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:37 am

russell wrote:I have the OOP Sy Oliver arrangements CD. Hard to get hold of but great material.

http://www.amazon.com/Yes-Indeed-Tommy- ... B000008AS6
I don't want to hi-jack this great thread, just take it as a side note:

The mentioned Dorsey CD indeed has great material, I was lucky to find it in a second hand shop in Uppsala, Sweden for $8.

There is one thing though that has bugged me about this and the only other Bluebird release I have in my possession (the other one being the Ellington "Never No Lament - Blanton-Webster Band" 3-CD set with amazing music), and that is the horrible sound that comes out of most speakers, even on venues with good sound systems, when the brass takes it away. It's blaring and hurts my ears in a way that no other of my cd's do, and I sometimes avoid playing those Bluebird CD's because of the bad sound, although the music is fantastic.

Have you other owners of these, or other Bluebird releases (like maybe the 5-CD Shaw "Portrait" I've been eying), had the same experiences with bad sound in the high register?

Are there any solutions for this besides using Equalizers?

Do you have recommendations for other, better CD's with the same or similar material (because it is truly music I wouldn't want to live without)?

Jonas

Haydn

#18 Post by Haydn » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:00 am

Jonas wrote:There is one thing though that has bugged me about this ... the horrible sound that comes out of most speakers, even on venues with good sound systems, when the brass takes it away.

Are there any solutions for this besides using Equalizers?
Hi Jonas,

Yes, the brass is just a bit too piercing sometimes. I think it's just the way the music was recorded, with too much treble coming through and not enough bass.

A solution to try is an audio plug-in called Volume Logic.

I've just tried it on the start of 'Well Git It' from the 'Yes Indeed' Dorsey CD, and Volume Logic has the effect of boosting the bass and reducing the treble. It doesn't work well on all old tracks, but seems to on this one. It's available for iTunes and Winamp, and there's a free trial -
http://www.volumelogic.com/index.asp?co ... _itunesmac
http://www.volumelogic.com/index.asp?co ... _ituneswin
http://www.volumelogic.com/index.asp?co ... oad_winamp

Eyeball

#19 Post by Eyeball » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:30 pm

Haydn wrote:
I think it's just the way the music was recorded, with too much treble coming through and not enough bass.
It's the way the music has been remastered. It has little or nothing to do with the way it was recorded. Playing earlier LP issues or 78s illustrates the truth.

Haydn

#20 Post by Haydn » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:05 pm

Eyeball wrote:
Haydn wrote:
I think it's just the way the music was recorded, with too much treble coming through and not enough bass.
It's the way the music has been remastered. It has little or nothing to do with the way it was recorded. Playing earlier LP issues or 78s illustrates the truth.
I'll take your word on that one. So one solution would be to get hold of the LP and transfer it to CD yourself.

Eyeball

#21 Post by Eyeball » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:14 pm

Haydn wrote:
Eyeball wrote:
Haydn wrote:
I'll take your word on that one. So one solution would be to get hold of the LP and transfer it to CD yourself.
If you can do it properly. The sweet part is that your source material worries are over with a 78 as long as it is in good condition. Only one 'engineer' between you and the original live music.

With an LP, you have a new middle man in the way...the dude who remastered the LP. And some guys were far better than others. Some series of LPs are notoriously bad / good.

I met JRT Davies one time way back in the 70s (late 70s!) and it was just 4 of use...one sound guy, one LP reissue producer and 2 collectors sitting around in a plush L.I. basement. I guess we were discussing the 'natural sound' of older recordings vs what was being cranked out new or even remastered back then. He said something like 'The reason is because today's engineers are interested in making records and not in recording music naturally.'

The further we get from the once accepted sound of a 'natural sounding' recording and we get a whole new crop of sound men who think they know what a 75 y/o recording should sound like, the harder it may be to get 'natural sound' and not records'

Jonas

#22 Post by Jonas » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:18 am

Thank you for your answers. I'll try the Volume Logic Plug-In, see if it helps, and outside that, I'll just have to wait for better transfers to surface.

I just talked to my favourite jazz record shop owner this Wednesday (and bought some records as well of course), and he happened to have received a homemade CD from a 75-year old friend who'd sat down with his laptop, other equipment and some of his Ellington 78's from the Blanton-Webster period, and transfered and "remastered" some sides on his own. The guy was just doing it for fun, just to show my shop owner friend what he could do at home.

My shop owner friend played the CD for me, we listened to "Jack the Bear", and what a difference it was! It's amazing how an old guy can beat the big companies with his stuff (slightly reminds me of John R.T. Davies though). I said that if this old guy wants to continue working on the Blanton-Webster stuff, I'll buy whatever he can bring me, so we'll see what happens...

/Jonas

Haydn

#23 Post by Haydn » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:01 am

Jonas wrote:Thank you for your answers. I'll try the Volume Logic Plug-In, see if it helps, and outside that, I'll just have to wait for better transfers to surface.

I just talked to my favourite jazz record shop owner this Wednesday (and bought some records as well of course), and he happened to have received a homemade CD from a 75-year old friend who'd sat down with his laptop, other equipment and some of his Ellington 78's from the Blanton-Webster period, and transfered and "remastered" some sides on his own. The guy was just doing it for fun, just to show my shop owner friend what he could do at home.

My shop owner friend played the CD for me, we listened to "Jack the Bear", and what a difference it was! It's amazing how an old guy can beat the big companies with his stuff (slightly reminds me of John R.T. Davies though). I said that if this old guy wants to continue working on the Blanton-Webster stuff, I'll buy whatever he can bring me, so we'll see what happens...

/Jonas
Although my collection is CD and downloads, I'm convinced that getting hold of decent quality vinyl is the best way to go, allowing me to do my own transfers (or pay someone else to). Expensive and time-consuming, but the best route for sound quality.

anton

#24 Post by anton » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:59 pm

I'm finally getting around to a detailed study of this great stuff (1939-1942 Tommy Dorsey, arranged by Sy Oliver). First, a rundown of the Victor recordings (more comments will follow):

Marcheta
Stop! It's Wonderful (voc. Edythe Wright)
Stomp It Off
Easy Does It
Losers Weepers - never issued on CD?
After I Say I'm Sorry (voc. Pied Pipers)
My My (voc. Pied Pipers)
I'm Nobody's Baby (voc. Connie Haines) - never issued on CD?
Buds Won't Bud (voc. Connie Haines) - never issued on CD?
Quiet Please - early version, never issued on CD?
And So Do I (voc. Connie Haines) - never issued on CD?
The One I Love Belongs To Someone Else (voc. Pied Pipers, Frank Sinatra)
Quiet Please
So What
Make Me Know It - never issued on CD?
Another One Of Those Things - never issued on CD?
Swingtime In Harlem - never issued on CD?
Swing High
Swanee River
Old Black Joe - never issued on CD?
You Say The Sweetest Things (voc. Pied Pipers, Connie Haines) - never issued on CD?
For You (voc. Jo Stafford)
Without A Song (voc. Frank Sinatra)
Deep River
Serenade To The Spot - never issued on CD?
Yes Indeed (voc. Sy Oliver, Jo Stafford)
Nine Old Men (voc. Pied Pipers)
Loose Lid Special
Blue Skies (voc. Frank Sinatra, ensemble)
Swingin' On Nothin' (voc. Sy Oliver, Jo Stafford)
Hallelujah
What Is This Thing Called Love
Not So Quiet Please
Well, Git It!
Dig Down Deep (voc. Pied Pipers, Frank Sinatra)
Mandy
Blue Blazes - never issued on CD?

Eyeball

#25 Post by Eyeball » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:42 pm

Glad to see this TD thread revived!

trev

#26 Post by trev » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:47 pm

Please keep us posted, Anton!

Haydn

#27 Post by Haydn » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:11 pm

Yes, good stuff Anton. I've got a few of these numbers, and they're good stuff, but I've found them scattered all over the place on different CDs and occasional downloads. I'll try and cross-reference where I've got them from and put some details here.

Eyeball

#28 Post by Eyeball » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:26 pm

70 years of trying to get these recordings together. That's just wrong.

russell

#29 Post by russell » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:31 pm

Maybe another suggestion for a Mosaic set :D

Eyeball

#30 Post by Eyeball » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:58 pm

Mosaic would be great as long as they don't cut out the Connie Haines vocal sides like they did with the Artie Shaw set not issuing the Helen Forest sides, among others.

This site has a lot of Dorsey to listen to and some of the sides mentioned above. He also has a random play feature for some of the artists.

http://www.jazz-on-line.com/Tommy_Dorsey.htm

http://www.jazz-on-line.com/playlists.htm

http://www.jazz-on-line.com/index.htm