[Answered] Shorty George, Count Baise

Trying to identify a song? Here's the place!

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

kitkat

Shorty George - version ID, please

#1 Post by kitkat » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:09 pm

I've been wondering what version of "Shorty George" this is for years. A friend gave it to me completely unlabeled.

It's not the one out of Basie's Decca years: I've done a comparison listen. It's not Tom Cunningham's version: I just got home and listened to the clip on his website.

Anyone have an album and know what this comes from?

Haydn

Re: Shorty George - version ID, please

#2 Post by Haydn » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:34 pm

kitkat wrote:I've been wondering what version of "Shorty George" this is for years. A friend gave it to me completely unlabeled.

It's not the one out of Basie's Decca years: I've done a comparison listen. It's not Tom Cunningham's version: I just got home and listened to the clip on his website.

Anyone have an album and know what this comes from?
I'm pretty sure it's the 1960 recording from the Roulette/Blue Note album 'The Count Basie Story'. CD 1, track 7 -

http://tinyurl.co.uk/t8nl

kitkat

#3 Post by kitkat » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:06 am

Thanks, Haydn. Interesting that the Blue Note album you linked to came out after I was given that MP3. There must be more albums with the same recording. I take it "Blue Note" is the label that recompiled some recordings made for the "Roulette" label?

If so, do you happen to know if this is currently the best version of that recording I can get? The song samples sound great, but if there's a better-sounding, albeit older, album with pretty much the same tracks, maybe I should buy it instead.

JesseMiner

#4 Post by JesseMiner » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:38 am

kitkat wrote:Thanks, Haydn. Interesting that the Blue Note album you linked to came out after I was given that MP3. There must be more albums with the same recording. I take it "Blue Note" is the label that recompiled some recordings made for the "Roulette" label?

If so, do you happen to know if this is currently the best version of that recording I can get? The song samples sound great, but if there's a better-sounding, albeit older, album with pretty much the same tracks, maybe I should buy it instead.
This collection is a reissue of two Roulette releases in the 1960s where Count Basie rerecorded his Decca hits. The original releases are out of print and hard to find, so if you don't have them already, I definitely recommend this 2-CD set. I haven't tested the sound quality side by side, but I can safely say that this set is at least equal to and at best better sounding than the originals.

Jesse

CafeSavoy

#5 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:08 am

JesseMiner wrote:
kitkat wrote:The song samples sound great, but if there's a better-sounding, albeit older, album with pretty much the same tracks, maybe I should buy it instead.
This collection is a reissue of two Roulette releases in the 1960s where Count Basie rerecorded his Decca hits. The original releases are out of print and hard to find, so if you don't have them already, I definitely recommend this 2-CD set. I haven't tested the sound quality side by side, but I can safely say that this set is at least equal to and at best better sounding than the originals.

Jesse
And it will probably be cheaper to get the new set. The original releases contained at least a dozen cds.

Haydn

#6 Post by Haydn » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:54 am

kitkat wrote:Thanks, Haydn. Interesting that the Blue Note album you linked to came out after I was given that MP3. There must be more albums with the same recording. I take it "Blue Note" is the label that recompiled some recordings made for the "Roulette" label?

My CD is the 'Blue Note' one from 2004. On the back it says "All transfers and remixes by MALCOLM ADDEY. Mastered in 24-bit resolution by RON McMASTER". So it looks as though they used the original 1957-1960 masters and worked on improving the sound quality. I've never heard the original 1960 release. According to the booklet with the 2004 CD, it was a 'double album of its classics ... in a box set'. As Jesse said, I would definitely buy the 2004 CD anyway, as the original seems hard to find (presumably vinyl only?).

Incidentally, the detailed track listing for the CD on page 3 lists the original recording dates - e.g. "Shorty George - Originally recorded on November 16, 1938 by Count Basie & His Orchestra". If you didn't know, you could easily be mislead into believing you were listening to cleaned-up recordings from the 1930s and 1940s.

kitkat

#7 Post by kitkat » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:37 am

Haydn wrote:(presumably vinyl only?).
I got it on MP3 a year before your CD set was released. That doesn't preclude vinyl only, but it makes it less likely.
Jesse, did you mean a CD reissue? Rayned implied so. I'll look it up & answer my own question when I get time if you haven't answered yet, but what set was the first?

JesseMiner

#8 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:01 pm

kitkat wrote:
Haydn wrote:(presumably vinyl only?).
I got it on MP3 a year before your CD set was released. That doesn't preclude vinyl only, but it makes it less likely.
Jesse, did you mean a CD reissue? Rayned implied so. I'll look it up & answer my own question when I get time if you haven't answered yet, but what set was the first?
Mosaic Records released two HUGE box sets of Basie's 1960s Roulette Recordings, one of studio recordings and another of live recordings, in the early 90s (Rayned was referencing the studio one in his post above). Around the same time, many of those same recordings were reissued on individual CDs. I've never been able to get ahold of the box sets, but I have found many of the individual releases in the used bins.

Of course now that we've cleared up the source of these recordings, The mp3 you have more that likely came from the Oscillatin' Rhythm: Great Swing Hits in Hi-Fi compilation that was widely available in the late-90s and very popular with swing dancers.

And my advice is still the same. Pick up the fabulous two CD set Count Basie Story if you don't already have all of those recordings elsewhere! :)

Jesse

kitkat

#9 Post by kitkat » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:20 pm

JesseMiner wrote:Mosaic Records released two HUGE box sets of Basie's 1960s Roulette Recordings...another of live recordings...I've never been able to get ahold of the box sets, but I have found many of the individual releases in the used bins.
Oh, these. *laughs*

JesseMiner

#10 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:02 pm

kitkat wrote:
JesseMiner wrote:Mosaic Records released two HUGE box sets of Basie's 1960s Roulette Recordings...another of live recordings...I've never been able to get ahold of the box sets, but I have found many of the individual releases in the used bins.
Oh, these. *laughs*
Yes, that is ONE of the sets. The other is the studio recordings (containing the version of "Shorty George" being discussed), and I think it is even larger than the live set.

The live set is amazing of course, and you should definitely check it out if you can borrow it from the library.

Jesse

Haydn

#11 Post by Haydn » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:03 pm

Thanks for the info about the Mosaic set Jesse. Here's a review I found ...

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/boptismp ... asie2.html