Hey Mister Jesse Podcast

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Haydn

#16 Post by Haydn » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:02 am

JesseMiner wrote:
huey wrote:Would it be possible to give CD source information for all the tracks you play on the show? In your 8-count swing section on 'swinging spirituals' in show no. 4, I noticed that you did this for some songs, but not for others.
Did you check the show notes for the episode? In the 8-Count Swing section I list CD source information for each song mentioned along with links to those CDs on Amazon.com.

Jesse
Got it - thanks :) ... Perhaps it's worth mentioning the show notes on the broadcast, if you don't do it already?

JesseMiner

#17 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:24 am

huey wrote:Got it - thanks :) ... Perhaps it's worth mentioning the show notes on the broadcast, if you don't do it already?
I normally try to mention the show notes during each show as they are a helpful resource, but I accidentally forgot to this past episode. I'll be sure to regularly do so moving forward.

Jesse

Haydn

#18 Post by Haydn » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:25 pm

Just bought the Louis Armstrong CD 'Louis and the Good Book'
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005 ... 821?n=5174

as a result of the show. Some good tracks on there - thanks :)

Regarding Shadrack, I prefer the version on 'Thanks a Million' -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/tracks/B000024LWO
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... 3m968ohepo

(I think this version is the same as the one on track 15 of 'Louis and the Good Book', but the sound on 'Thanks a Million' is better).

Allen

#19 Post by Allen » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:54 pm

I really like the version of Shadrack on the "California Concerts" set. It's in a medley with When The Saints Go Marching In. Probably making it a little weird to play at a dance, but a great listen if nothing else.

JesseMiner

#20 Post by JesseMiner » Wed May 03, 2006 1:13 am

Episode #005 of the “Hey Mister Jesse” podcast is now available to download and enjoy. In my fifth show, I review new releases, Spuds' does a tech review of the DC Six audio restoration software, and we feature our listeners' 8 favorite swinging spiritual songs (definitely took the suggestions here on swingdjs to heart).

Listen to the show now at www.yehoodi.com/mrjesse!

Jesse

Lindyguy

#21 Post by Lindyguy » Wed May 03, 2006 5:01 am

Hey Jesse,

Fine work with the show. I had a back log of your shows and we listened to them all the way up to Winnipeg. It was the shortest trip up there yet thanks to your show!

One other Gospel one I like is "Keep on Trustin'" by Marlena Shaw. Also, for a good groove try "Groove Merchant" by Kenny Burrell. Doug Haining liked it so much he is working it into his TC 7 group.

Can't wait to hear #5! How about a big shout out to Late Night Swing sometime. After all, you are the original DJ from this dance. It'll be 7 years in October!

Ciao,
Terry
If you have to put fruit in it, it's not beer.

Bob the Builder

#22 Post by Bob the Builder » Wed May 03, 2006 6:10 am

As always, get show.

After DC Six was mentioned on your 3rd show I had a good look at it myself. I'm using a far inferior product that cost me $50, but when I have the money I would like to upgrade to DC Six. However I personally didn't like the default setting, but I am very particular on sound. I would say the default setting are a lot better than the default setting on other similar software.
I'm still very much on the idea that less is more and you really need to know what you are doing. The Demo version did not have it full help assistance. I’ll be doing a lot of reading when ever I buy it.
Thanks to the communication network in letting me know about the product. It’s interesting that the FBI use it’s sister product.

Great show and keep it coming.

Brian

luh

#23 Post by luh » Wed May 10, 2006 8:52 am

liked the show, - but i don't know if you got my mail or not:
you should definetely check out manhatten transfer's operator!
luh

Nate Dogg

#24 Post by Nate Dogg » Wed May 10, 2006 12:05 pm

luh wrote:liked the show, - but i don't know if you got my mail or not:
you should definetely check out manhatten transfer's operator!
luh
I think you were mentioned on the last show (the 5th one that came out a few days ago). Jesse played the Manhatten Transfer version, talked about it, etc...

JesseMiner

#25 Post by JesseMiner » Wed May 31, 2006 1:21 am

Episode #006 of the “Hey Mister Jesse” podcast is now available to download and enjoy. June's show is jam-packed, featuring lots of news, our first contest (with prizes!), Jesse's 8 favorite swinging songs by Ella Fitzgerald, an interview with Paul Cosentino from The Boilermaker Jazz Band, listener comments and new music (full songs!) by Greg Poppleton & His Bakelite Dance Band, The Boilermaker Jazz Band, and blues musician Doug MacLeod.

Jesse

JesseMiner

#26 Post by JesseMiner » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:43 pm

Episode #007 of the “Hey Mister Jesse” podcast is now available to download and enjoy. July’s show features tons of news, Jesse's 8 favorite songs by modern swinging bands (the iMix edition!), an interview with and songs by Alex Pangman from Toronto, Ontario and plenty of listener questions and comments.

Jesse

JesseMiner

#27 Post by JesseMiner » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:42 am

Episode #008 of the “Hey Mister Jesse” podcast is now available to download and enjoy. August’s show features news, Jesse's 8 favorite songs by swinging trios, an interview with and songs by Ron Sunshine from New York, New York and listener questions and comments.

Jesse

JesseMiner

#28 Post by JesseMiner » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:10 am

Episode #009 of the "Hey Mister Jesse" podcast is now available to download and enjoy. September’s show, recorded live at Swing Out New Hampshire, features news about Yehoodi's 8th anniversary party, the favorite swinging songs of SONH's instructors, an interview with Peter Davis, songs by Lindy Hop Heaven, The (Dawn) Hampton Family and Maxwell Mosher with Rickie Lee Jones, and listener comments about international swing.

Jesse

JesseMiner

#29 Post by JesseMiner » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:35 am

Episode #010 of the "Hey Mister Jesse" podcast is now available to download and enjoy. October's show features news, Jesse's 8 favorite high-energy swinging jump blues songs, a new feature called Variations On A Theme discussing different versions of "Flying Home", a jumping song by Roomful of Blues and listener comments.

Jesse

Haydn

#30 Post by Haydn » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:59 am

JesseMiner wrote:a new feature called Variations On A Theme discussing different versions of "Flying Home"
Great idea for a new feature and a good choice of song. Looking forward to listening. 8)