DJing Pet Peeves

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Naomi

#46 Post by Naomi » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:49 pm

Where have you heard a lot of dead air around here?
Oh Jeff, not at your place! I really enjoy your djing.

Truly, I work under some unique conditions at LITP. First, it's an outdoor event. Anybody walking through the park on a Sunday can walk right up to us, and they often do. Since they don't know dj conventions, they sometimes get frustrated when I stop paying attention to them.

And of course, the other dj at LITP is Ken, who often gives visitors & friends his undivided attention - which leads to long pauses when he realizes the music just ended and he has to pick a new song. This drives me nuts. Ken knows that, but it's just part of his personality - he won't be rushed. Lately, I've started having a song ready, "just in case." This annoys Ken, but it also gets him to hurry up just a bit. And sometimes I'll play my back-up song, and he'll get the next one.

:wink:

Roy

#47 Post by Roy » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:55 am

As for conversations while DJing, I do it all the time, I say exuse let me get the next song ready, I'll be back in a mintute. If you say it nicely and sincerly, I don't see where most people have a problem with that. I've rarely cause someone to be frustrated. But, I also tend to have a lot of talk time because I do allot of prep work before a gig listening to songs, making notes on them, deciding, what new songs I want to try and play that night and what old songs I play allot that I want to play that night, so I don't have to do a lot of pre-queing songs while I'm DJing.

I get frustrated if people want announcments made every few songs which happens allot at exchanges with committees, and each committee member walks up and wants to make an announment about their particular responsibilty. I just flat out tell them we'll make all the announcements at one time to prevent dance pauses constantly throughout the night.

Moonmist

#48 Post by Moonmist » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:41 am

I got one to add. More than 2 requests in an hour, of which only 2 were really for Swing songs. I had one request of a Salsa song at a Swing event, when if you walk out of the venue there's 5 Salsa clubs in 1 mile radius. 2 Funky songs (which to them are current top 40), Platypus as my witness.

Totally mess up the set, mess up the mood I'm trying to create, and you can forget consistency. :roll:

jmatthew

#49 Post by jmatthew » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:55 pm

I always tell requestors that I'll try to work their request into my set, but at a time of my choosing. If they ask why I tell them I want to maintain my flow, have songs cued, other requests, etc...rarely have anyone argue. I also tell them I'll try to play their requests, but no promises. If something sucks I just don't get around to playing it. If it sucks, it never fits the flow right? :)
I'm not an obsessive personality. I just happen to pick hobbies that seem to consume my life.

www.lindyguy.com

Platypus

#50 Post by Platypus » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:01 am

Moonmist, you forgot to add HOW the swing songs were requested: the french song, the german song, and Doris Day. It was actually three requests for funky songs, not two. In addition, another person requested that all of the music have a strong beat with some groove, showing me visually how she wanted the music to feel. And don't forget the weekly request from a dear friend to "play something that isn't crap" (translation: "please play some classic swing for me").

The organizers are aware about the increase in requests, which is a direct correlation to a recent surge in new dancers attending the dances, and are talking about what trends they want to hear (or not) from the DJ booth.

Ryan

#51 Post by Ryan » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:12 am

I had a good laugh the other night when a woman asked me to play some 40's "classic" swing music "you know like some Duke Ellington, benny Goodman and Count Basie" right after I played some 40's Ellington and Goodman tunes and had been playing all 30's or 40's swing for the last 5 tunes.

*shrug*

I think what she meant was play "Sing, Sing, Sing".

julius

#52 Post by julius » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:08 pm

The Swing Kids version.

Toon Town Dave

#53 Post by Toon Town Dave » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:27 pm

... or perhaps something that mentions a "zoot suit"

CountBasi

#54 Post by CountBasi » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:58 am

Idiots who come on stage while your back is half turned, changing your shoes, etc.. and interrupt a song you're playing MID-SONG with another song from your set-list which you know they can't possibly know what it is. Idiots who haven't been on the dance floor or even sat at the side for the last 15 minutes but actually put their coat on to leave an hour ago and are in street shoes. Idiots who tell you to chill out when you ask why they're touching your valuable equipment without permission. Idiots who dance blues all the time and expect, nay demand, blues when they come to a Lindy Hop dance.

Idiots.

What is the severest punishment one could consider fair in such circumstances? Beheading? Finger removal?
It don't matter if your clock is broke - it's the right time somewhere : Slim Gaillard

Toon Town Dave

#55 Post by Toon Town Dave » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:30 pm

Public embarrassment followed by a swift kick in the ass off the stage. Hopefully the stage is high enough off the ground the landing will hurt.

That or a big stick.