Yehoodi Radio Show

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

djstarr

#391 Post by djstarr » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:12 pm

julius wrote: 44. Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans- (Evan Christopher) -- Clarinet Road, Vol. 1 The Road to New Orleans
Looks nice Julius! I'm finally emerging from being too busy at work so I'm looking forward to listening to your set tomorrow.

I got Vol 2. Clarinet Road last year at Lindy Gras; it's all slow, but some nice selections including one with Tierney Sutton. I hear vol. 1 is really good, I'll have to put that on my to buy list.

julius

#392 Post by julius » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:53 pm

Vol 1 is a little weird. I like it, and the playing is brilliant of course, but I would not say it's got a lot of songs that you can dance to -- but then I usually buy CDs for listening.

I heard from Ryan (from Denver) that Evan is spending the year in Paris, up until early winter. I'm bummed -- I thought he was gonna be in LA.

djstarr

#393 Post by djstarr » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:34 pm

julius wrote:I heard from Ryan (from Denver) that Evan is spending the year in Paris, up until early winter. I'm bummed -- I thought he was gonna be in LA.
huh. while LA is lovely to be sure, I wouldn't mind spending a year in Paris. Nice place for a Sabbatical.

JesseMiner

#394 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:23 am

March Thursday Guest DJ: Steven Wexler (New York, NY)

Steven "Wexie" Wexler from New York City is our March guest DJ on Yehoodi Radio. Here’s a little about Wexie:

"Steven Wexler (a.k.a. Wexie), a native New Yorker, has been a swing DJ since 2001 when he debuted at Yehoodi's Frim Fram Jam. Since then he has been DJing Swing & Blues in the United States and Canada.."

Enjoy! :)

Jesse

JesseMiner

#395 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:53 pm

April Thursday Guest DJ: Chad Kubo (San Francisco, CA)

Chad Kubo from San Francisco is our April guest DJ on Yehoodi Radio. Here’s a little about Chad:

"Chad Kubo, San Francisco’s own Buddha Dog, has been dancing Lindy Hop in San Francisco for more 12 years. Chad’s music collection covers the classic jazz standards of the '20s, '30's, '40s, and 50's big band, blues and contemporary jazz. Anything is game that helps dancers dance to the music – as long as it swings! Chad’s dancing is motivated by partner connection and expressing the music when he dances, so he knows how to get Lindy Hoppers up on their feet."

Jesse

JesseMiner

#396 Post by JesseMiner » Wed May 03, 2006 10:46 pm

May Thursday Guest DJ: Dave Hall (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada)

Dave Hall from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada is our May guest DJ on Yehoodi Radio. Here’s a little about Dave:

"Dave (aka Toon Town Dave) discovered Lindy Hop in the Spring of 2000 and a year later was helping with DJ duties at what was then Saskatoon's weekly swing night. Dave's taste in music ranges from Traditional Jazz and early Blues to early Soul and R&B with loads of Big Band Swing in between. A frequent Lindy traveler, he is often DJ'ing special swing dance events across Western Canada from Winnipeg to Vancouver."

Jesse

mousethief

#397 Post by mousethief » Thu May 04, 2006 12:40 pm

Great show!

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Toon Town Dave

#398 Post by Toon Town Dave » Wed May 24, 2006 5:48 am

Thanks!

For anyone who's interested, I meant to post my playlist a couple weeks ago but hand't got around to it. In any case, here it is:

1. Tune Town Shuffle - Bill Elliott Swing Orchestra - Live At The Hollywood Paladium
2. Sing You Sinners - Alex Pangman & Her Alley Cats - Live in Montreal
3. I'm Just A Lucky So-And-So - Johnny Hodges - With Billy Strayhorn And The Orchestra
4. Let's Call The Whole Thing Off - Billie Holiday - Early Lady Day- 1933 - 1937
5. I'm Crazy 'Bout My Baby - Fats Waller - A Handfull Of Keys- 1922-1935
6. Running Wild - Teddy Wilson - Best of Jazz Piano (Disc 2)
7. Get Happy - Coleman Hawkins - Jazz After Hours (Disc 1)
8. Swinging The Blues - Benny Carter - Jazz After Hours (Disc 1)
9. Exactly Like You - Django Reinhardt - Jazz After Hours (Disc 1)
10. I Want a Little Girl - Louis Armstrong - C'est Ci Bon (Disc 2) - Rockin' Chair
11. When The Saints Go Marching In - Sidney Bechet - Complete 1939-1951 Blue Note Master Takes (Disc 3)
12. I Double Dare You - New Orleans Ale Stars - I Double Dare You
13. She's The Hottest Gal In Tennessee - Keith Nichols And The Cotton Club Orchestra - Harlem's Arabian Nights
14. Home Cooking - Eddie Condon - The Classic Sessions 1928-1949 (Disc 2) - Let's Swing It
15. Bobby Sox Blues - T-Bone Walker - The Beginning (1929 - 1946)
16. The Dream (Slow Drag) - James P. Johnson - 1944
17. Christopher Columbus - Fletcher Henderson - Best of Jazz Piano (Disc 1)
18. Annie's Cousin Fannie - Dorsey Brothers, The - Stop, Look & Listen (Original 1932-1935 Recordings)
19. A Mellow Bit Of Rhythm - Andy Kirk - The 12 Clouds of Joy
20. Beale Street Mam - Cab Calloway - Volume 1- 1930-1934- Disc C
21. Shanghai Shuffle - Bunny Berigan - and the Rhythm Makers, 1936-1938 (Disc 2)
22. Drop Me Off In Harlem - Mills Blue Rhythm Band - 1933 - 1934
23. When My Sugar Walks Down The Street - Ella Fitzgerald - Romance And Rhythm (Disc 3)
24. He Ain't Got Rhythm - Jimmie Lunceford - For Dancers Only
25. Uptown Shuffle - Erskine Hawkins - The Complete Erskine Hawkins 1938-1939 (Disc 2)
26. Jamaica Jam - Teddy Powell - An Anthology Of Big Band Swing 1930-1955 (Disc 2)
27. Flying Home - Part 1 - Illinois Jacquet - 1945-1946
28. Shake, Rattle And Roll (Afternoon Of A Moax) - Charlie Barnet - 1940
29. You Took Advantage Of Me - Chris Barber and His Jazz Band - The Nixa Jazz Today Albums - Chris Barber In Concert Vol 2
30. I'll Never Say 'Never Again' Again - Alex Pangman - They Say
31. The Spinach Song - Terra Hazelton - Anybody's Baby
32. I Wish I Were Twins - Jeff Healey - Among Friends
33. Mahogany Hall Stomp - 51st Eight - 8 to the Bar
34. The Sheik Of Araby - Albert Ammons - His Best Recordings 1936 - 1947
35. This Year's Kisses - Billie Holiday - Early Lady Day- 1933 - 1937
36. St. James Infirmary - Louis Armstrong - C'est Ci Bon (Disc 3) - A Band Was Born
37. Summertime - Sidney Bechet - The Sidney Bechet Story (Disc 2) - Summertime
38. Sent For You Yesterday (And Here You Come Today) - Count Basie - The Count Basie Story (Disc 1) - One O'Clock Jump
39. Look Out Jack! - Coleman Hawkins - Jazz After Hours (Disc 1)
40. Ain't Misbehavin' - Louis Armstrong - C'est Ci Bon (Disc 2) - Rockin' Chair
41. Cotton Tail - Duke Ellington - Masterpieces 1926 - 1949 (Disc 3) - Ko-Ko
42. Rockin' In Rhythm, Parts 1 And 2 - Lionel Hampton - Swingsation
43. Swing Guitars - Django Reinhardt - Jazz After Hours (Disc 2)
44. Look Out - Slim Gaillard & Slam Stewart - Complete Columbia Master Takes (Disc 2)
45. I Can't Give You Anything But Love, Baby - Benny Goodman - Jazz After Hours (Disc 2)
46. King Porter Stomp - Glenn Milller - Greatest Hits
47. Madame Dynamite - Eddie Condon - The Classic Sessions 1928-1949 (Disc 2) - Let's Swing It
48. At The Woodchopper's Ball - Woody Herman - At The Woodchopper's Ball
49. I'm In The Mood For Swing - Benny Carter - Jazz After Hours (Disc 2)
50. Just a Sittin' and a Rockin' - Ben Webster - Jazz After Hours (Disc 1)
51. Castle Rock - Johnny Hodges - The Jeep is Jumpin' (Disc 4) - Castle Rock
52. Dark Is The Night - Part 1 - B.B. King - Do The Boogie! B.B. King's Early 50s Classics
53. Walking The Blues - Champion Jack Dupree - Me and my mule
54. Makin' Whoopee - Watson Johnny Guitar - The Best Of The Okeh Years
55. On The Sunny Side Of The Street - Bradley Harder - Live at the Reservoir Lounge
56. Jazz Me Blues - Bunny Berigan - Gangbusters
57. Sing You Sinners - Fletcher Henderson - Jazz After Hours (Disc 2)
58. A-Tisket, A-Tasket - Ella Fitzgerald with Chick Webb - Swingsation
59. Mule Face Blues - King Oliver - 1929-1930 (Disc 2)
60. Four O'Clock Groove - James P. Johnson - 1944
61. Petite Fleur - Chris Barber - The Nixa Jazz Today Albums - Chris Barber Plays Vol. Three And Four
62. It Ain't Right - Artie Shaw - Jazz After Hours (Disc 2)
63. Shim Sham Shimmy - Dorsey Brothers, The - Stop, Look & Listen (Original 1932-1935 Recordings)
64. Washington Whirligig - Charlie Barnet - Jazz After Hours (Disc 2)
65. Lindyhopper's Delight - Chick Webb - Strictly Jive
66. Harlem Camp Meeting - Cab Calloway - Volume 1- 1930-1934- Disc D
67. This Year's Kisses - Lester Young - Kens Burns Jazz
68. They Say - Alex Pangman - They Say
69. Three Little Words - Jeff Healey - Adventures in Jazzland
70. Panam - 51st Eight - 8 to the Bar
71. You're Driving Me Crazy - Django Reinhardt - Jazz After Hours (Disc 1)
72. Rockin' In Rhythm - Duke Ellington - An Anthology Of Big Band Swing 1930-1955 (Disc 1)
73. Let Me Off Uptown - Lucky Millinder - Apollo Jump (Disc 1)
74. Drummin' Man - Gene Krupa - The Gene Krupa Story (Disc 1) - Wire Brush Stomp
75. Shorty George - Count Basie - The Count Basie Story (Disc 1) - One O'Clock Jump
76. Peckin' - Johnny Hodges - The Jeep is Jumpin' (Disc 1) - Hodge Podge
77. Tuxedo Junction - Erskine Hawkins - The Complete Erskine Hawkins 1938-1939 (Disc 2)
78. Tuesday At Ten - Benny Goodman - Disc D - All The Cats Join In
79. Wednesday Night Hop - Andy Kirk - The 12 Clouds of Joy
80. Thursday Evening Swing - The Cats And The Fiddle - We Cats Will Swing For You
81. My Man - Billie Holiday - Jazz After Hours (Disc 1)
82. Blues My Naughty Sweetie Gives To Me - Sidney Bechet - Complete 1939-1951 Blue Note Master Takes (Disc 3)
83. Keepin' Out of Mischief No - James P. Johnson - 1944
84. The Dipsy Doodle - Ella Fitzgerald - Romance And Rhythm (Disc 1)
85. Coquette - Louis Armstrong - C'est Ci Bon (Disc 1) - Coal Cart Blues
86. 'Tain't What You Do (It's The Way That You Do It) - Jimmie Lunceford And His Orchestra - 1937-1939
87. Well Alright, Okay, You Win - Janice Hagan - Live at the Reservoir Lounge
88. Don't Let The Green Grass Fool Y - Donald Ray Johnson - Pure Pleasure
89. Feeling Good - Nina Simone - Point Of No Return
90. Wandering Blues - John Lee Hooker - I'm In The Mood
91. Minnie The Moocher - Cab Calloway - Volume 1- 1930-1934- Disc D
92. It Don't Mean a Thing (If it Ain't Got That Swing) - Duke Ellington - Masterpieces 1926 - 1949 (Disc 1) - Mood Indigo
93. Black Bottom - Benny Carter - Jazz After Hours (Disc 2)
94. Honeysuckle Rose - Django Reinhardt - Jazz After Hours (Disc 2)
95. Oh, Lady Be Good - Benny Goodman - Disc C - The Small Groups
96. Boogie Woogie Stomp - Albert Ammons - His Best Recordings 1936 - 1947
97. Boogie Woogie - King Oliver - 1929-1930 (Disc 2)
98. How Am I Doin' Hey Hey - Fletcher Henderson - Yeah Man!
99. Rockin' Rollers' Jubilee - Bunny Berigan - Gangbusters
100. Swing Brother Swing - Billie Holiday - Jazz After Hours (Disc 1)
101. Dipper Mouth Blues - Glenn Miller And His Orchestra - 1935 - 1938
102. Ballin' the Jack - Eddie Condon - The Classic Sessions 1928-1949 (Disc 4) - We Called It Music
103. Doin' The Crazy Walk - Chris Barber's Jazz Band - The Nixa Jazz Today Albums - Echoes Of Harlem
104. You're Driving Me Crazy - Jeff Healey - Adventures in Jazzland
105. Collegiate - New Orleans Ale Stars - I Double Dare You
106. Washington Wobble - Keith Nichols And The Cotton Club Orchestra - Harlem's Arabian Nights
107. Weary Way Blues - Sidney Bechet - Complete 1939-1951 Blue Note Master Takes (Disc 2)
108. Ogoun Badagris (Voodoo War God) - Charlie Barnet - Jazz After Hours (Disc 1)
109. Loose Wig - Lionel Hampton - Swingsation
110. The Frim Fram Sauce - Louis Armstrong - C'est Ci Bon (Disc 1) - Coal Cart Blues
111. We Cats Will Swing For You - The Cats And The Fiddle - We Cats Will Swing For You
112. The Flat Foot Floogie - Slim Gaillard & Slam Stewart - Complete Columbia Master Takes (Disc 1)
113. Take It From The Top - Chick Webb - Strictly Jive
114. Rhythm Jam - Gene Krupa - The Gene Krupa Story (Disc 1) - Wire Brush Stomp
115. One O'Clock Jump - Count Basie - The Count Basie Story (Disc 4) - Basie's Basement

julius

#399 Post by julius » Wed May 24, 2006 5:15 pm

If I were super-motivated I would put all yehoodi DJ playlists into a spreadsheet and then find out what the most popular song to spin is.

Instead, I'll let someone else do it.

JesseMiner

#400 Post by JesseMiner » Wed May 31, 2006 11:51 pm

June Thursday Guest DJ: Kelly Porter (Detroit, MI)

Kelly Porter from Detroit, MI is our June guest DJ on Yehoodi Radio. Here’s a little about Kelly:

"Bringing dance audiences a rich and soulful helping of jazz and blues old and new, classic and lesser-known, the thing which defines Kelly’s musical taste is an intense love for the deep soul of the blues and jazz tradition. She is an enthusiastic collector of rare albums (including a recently-developed obsession with collecting dirt-old 78’s) and enjoys bringing fresh music to her audiences. For years Kelly has been DJing for dancers throughout North America, most recently at the Rhythmic Arts Festival in San Diego, The Emerald City Blues Festival in Seattle, The Quebec Swing Rendezvous, The Oberlin Jazz Dance Festival and many more. She also DJ’s and dances in her hometown of Detroit where she lives with her Machiavellian cat, Django. The cat can do a mean charleston."

Jesse

JesseMiner

#401 Post by JesseMiner » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:29 am

New and Improved Yehoodi Radio

Your premiere 24-hour lindy hop, blues, jazz internet radio station has just gotten better. Yehoodi Radio now features a daily mix of music to suit all tastes, and it keeps the tunes danceable. Tune in anytime to hear the best in swing music at work or at home.

In addition to the great mix of music, Yehoodi.com radio presents weekly (or bi-weekly) updated shows featuring new content helmed by Spuds, Frankyboy and yours truly:

Producers Picks
Yehoodi Radio producer and musical director Jesse Miner spins his favorite mix of swing. Tune in to hear what’s up Jesse’s sleeve and what’s on his musical menu. (1 hour)
Mondays: 3pm Eastern / 12pm Pacific
Thursdays: 12pm Eastern / 9am Pacific

Frankyboy’s Corner
If you like your music like you like your cocktails-smooth but exotic-then come on down to Frankyboy's corner, where you'll get to enjoy Esquivel, Bert Kaempfert, Martin Denny and other chairmen of esoteric lounge. We've got musical libations on hand for your sipping pleasure, so stop by, relax and have a mai tai or two. It's on us.(1 hour)
Tuesdays: 3pm Eastern / 12pm Pacific
Fridays: 12pm Eastern / 9am Pacific

Sides of Spuds
Co-host of the Yehoodi Talk Show, Spuds plays music that moves him. Sometimes he plays the “straight and narrow” and other times it's “off the cob” but it's always a great time. Have your swing with a side of Spuds.(1 hour)
Mondays: 12pm Eastern / 9am Pacific)
Wednesdays: 3pm Eastern / 12pm Pacific

Guest DJ Thursdays
Guest DJs are still featured on Thursdays. Kelly's show will be running throughout June.

Crazy Swing!
It’s not your run of the mill swing show. Crazy Swing! Features songs that don’t have to swing but have been out and about in the lindy world for one reason or another. Catch an hour of crazy swingin’ tunes that you’ll probably bounce your head to but be too embarrassed to dance.(1 hour)
Fridays: 3pm Eastern / 12pm Pacific

Yehoodi Show Rewind
It’s time for a flashback! The “Rewind” is a remembrance of the “good-ole days” of the Yehoodi Talk Show. Catch some of the early interviews, discussions and silliness of the longest running lindy hop talk show ever (we’d like to think).(30 minutes)
Tuesdays: 9pm Eastern / 6pm Pacific

Visit Yehoodi Radio for the most complete and up-to-date schedule.

------

For my first new and improved Producer's Picks, I will be playing the entirety of all 8 classic swing songs featuring in the 8-Count Swing in episode #001 of Hey Mister Jesse along with some bonus material!

Jesse

Bob the Builder

#402 Post by Bob the Builder » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:21 pm

I;ve been sick today, so I've been and home and am listening to Kelly's show.

I'm really enjoying it.

Brian

julius

#403 Post by julius » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:47 pm

Hey, Mr. Jesse,

Are the DJ shows archived anywhere online?

djStu

#404 Post by djStu » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:26 am

Kelly's show was fabulous. Heard a ton of things I really liked but had never heard anywhere. Soo good.

JesseMiner

#405 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:13 am

July Thursday Guest DJ: Ryan Mascaro (New York, New York)

Ryan Mascaro from New York City is our July guest DJ on Yehoodi Radio. Here’s a little about Ryan:

"A rabid music buff prior to discovering Lindy Hop, Ryan found a true love in the hot rhythms of Swing Era jazz and blues. He is a regular deejay at New York’s Yehoodi Frim Fram Jam, and has also had the pleasure of spinning at such events as ULHS, NADC, Danvers, CSC, LA Binge and the Basie Centennial Weekend. A lifelong fan, his love for Jazz and Jazz Dance continues to climb whenever he hears the sound of a solid rhythm section."

Jesse