New Orleans tribute songs

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

CafeSavoy

#16 Post by CafeSavoy » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:14 am

Platypus wrote:Having been flooded out of my home a few years ago, there was something rather healing about singing songs like Muddy Water, like I was saying "hey, flood, you haven't beaten me down. I survived YOU." So, yes, it might be offensive to some, but for others, it isn't.
I was thinking something similar about this topic since New Orleans is one of the homes of the blues and the blues are about joyful survival in the face of great adversity. Given the uneven treatment of residents perhaps Sidney Bechet's version of "Oh Lord Let Me In the LifeBoat" might be topical.

main_stem

#17 Post by main_stem » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:58 am

CafeSavoy wrote: I was thinking something similar about this topic since New Orleans is one of the homes of the blues and the blues are about joyful survival in the face of great adversity. Given the uneven treatment of residents perhaps Sidney Bechet's version of "Oh Lord Let Me In the LifeBoat" might be topical.
Damn straight. That's on my to play list next time I'm out.
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

Albert System

#18 Post by Albert System » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:30 pm

FYI--
JC Higgenbotham was from Atlanta
Lil Hardin Armstrong was from Chicago

Of course there were tons of other musicians from NOLA too.

But another song about NOLA by Louis that was a theme song for him that no one lese has mentioned is: "When It's Sleepy Time Down South"

Also check out the Hoagy Charmichael song simply called "New Orleans". There is a classic version by Bennie Moten's Band with Jimmie Rushing singing.

Platypus

#19 Post by Platypus » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:54 am

"Oh when the saints go marching home,
when the Saints play superdome,
I want to be in that number,
when the saints go marching home."

- Kermit Ruffins, live, September 15, 2005 to a barful of smiling, singing, cheering, white napkin waving, 2nd lining New Orleanians and Houstonians

If you want to honor the spirit and tenacity of the New Orleans folk, it doesn't get better than "When the Saints Go Marching In."

julius

#20 Post by julius » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:08 am

I hear, however, that almost all New Orleans musicians want to shoot themselves whenever someone asks for that song.

I was in a bar hearing Dwayne Burns and he said "We take requests. We'll play anything for tips, except When the Saints Go Marching In." I nearly died laughing. I requested "Ain't She Sweet", put a big bill in the jar, and they played for ten minutes while we danced. :)

I love New Orleans.

Campus Five

#21 Post by Campus Five » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:40 pm

I thought I saw something somewhere about how some band would play traditional songs for $2, other requests for $5, and $10 for the Saints. I think I might have read that in an article about the Preservation Hall Band.
"I don''t dig that two beat jive the New Orleans cats play.
My boys and I have four heavy beats to the bar and no cheating!
--Count Basie
www.campusfive.com
www.myspace.com/campusfive
www.swingguitar.blogspot.com

julius

#22 Post by julius » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:44 pm

Oooh, now that I think about it, that's what Dwayne Burns said too. (He was not Preservation Hall Jazz Band though.)

Platypus

#23 Post by Platypus » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:48 pm

That might be true in normal times, but this is NOT normal times. Last night was the first time in the two weeks that I have seen a room full of smiling people who weren't smiling only in a desperate attempt to hold back tears. Kermit sang about people being able to go home, about finding a home-away-from-home in Houston, and about the strength of New Orleaneans...just by changing the words of the song slightly. Tomorrow, it might be tired again, but last night, it was indescribably the RIGHT thing to sing.

julius

#24 Post by julius » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:12 pm

whoops, i didn't read the lyrics al the way through.

Roy

#25 Post by Roy » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:55 pm

julius wrote:I hear, however, that almost all New Orleans musicians want to shoot themselves whenever someone asks for that song.

I was in a bar hearing Dwayne Burns and he said "We take requests. We'll play anything for tips, except When the Saints Go Marching In." I nearly died laughing. I requested "Ain't She Sweet", put a big bill in the jar, and they played for ten minutes while we danced. :)

I love New Orleans.
Dwayne Burns is Rad. He is on my must see list next time I go to New Orleans. At the last Lindy Gras, i saw him Friday afternoon playing and went back on Saturady and Sunday to see him again.

JesseMiner

#26 Post by JesseMiner » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:31 am

Here is my New Orleans tribute set that I played at The Doghouse in San Francisco on Saturday (and I actually played a very similar set on Thursday at LindyGroove in LA):

I'll Always Be In Love With You - Duke Heitger (Rhythm Is Our Business)
Now Has Jazz - Louis Armstrong (Mack The Knife)
Blues My Naughty Sweetie Gives To Me - Sidney Bechet (The Fabulous Sidney Bechet)
I'm Walking - George French (It's A Beginning)
When I Die (You Better Second Line) - Kermit Ruffins (Big Easy)
Bits and Pieces - Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown (Gatemouth Swings)
The Music Goes Round and Round - Louis Prima (Capital Collection)
Going Back To New Orleans - Deacon John (Putumayo Presents...New Orleans)

And if you want to donate money to the hurricane relief and pick up some great music in the process, Putumayo has this news on their website:
In light of the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina in Louisiana and Mississippi, Putumayo World Music is donating all of its proceeds from New Orleans and Mississippi Blues to relief efforts through the end of the year.
Jesse

main_stem

#27 Post by main_stem » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:38 pm

Here is my set list from our fundraiser dance th other night. Travis and I traded threes for two hours.

Drop Me Off In New Orleans; Kermit Ruffins
Joshua Fit De Battle O' Jericho; Sidney Bechet
Down By The Riverside; Dr. Michael White
Where The Blues Were Born In New Orleans; Louis Armstrong
Joe Turner Blues; Kid Ory
Lover Come Back To Me; Barney Bigard & Art Hodes
Love Me Or Leave Me; Henry "Red" Allen
Hey Lawdy Mama; Louis Armstrong
Meet Me At The Second Line; Kermit Ruffins
Lord, Let Me In The Lifeboat; Sidney Bechet
Dinah; Preservation Hall Hot 4
Ain't Misbehavin'; Kid Ory
Bye And Bye; Kermit Ruffins
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

swing-o-logy

New Orleans Songs

#28 Post by swing-o-logy » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:32 pm

As Katrina did a mean work, we had to collect a selection of NO.-Songs for our actual online radio-show.

check out www.owf-internetradio.de or www.swing-o-logy.de for our SWING INN - Show (for listening or download)

swingcerely

sven

Platypus

#29 Post by Platypus » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:10 pm

And there I was, covered in sawdust, boarding up my home for Rita...and I realized that I was humming "wade in the water."

djstarr

#30 Post by djstarr » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:01 pm

Hey all - haven't been on the board in a while and am catching up. Here are my New Orleans tribute songs I played at the fundraiser we did last month; a lot of this music I got at Lindy Gras this year and I'm hoping that LindyGras 2006 happens. And thanks to Keith and the Dance New Orleans group for keeping us updated via email, that was awesome:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brother John – The Wild Tchoupitoulas – The Very Best of the Neville Brothers
Dancing in the Sky – Dr. Michael White – Basin Street Sampler [also on album Dancing in the Sky]
St. James Infirmary – Henry Red Allen – World on a String
Ain’t Misbehavin’ – Sidney Bechet – Blues in Thirds
Bourbon St. Parade – Roy Eldridge - Little Jazz and the Jimmy Ryan Allstars
Rhythm on the Radio – Louis Prima and his New Orleans Gang – Chronogical Classics 1937-1939
If You’se a Viper – New Orleans Jazz Vipers – Live on Frenchman Street
King Porter Stomp – Wynton Marsalis – Mr. Jelly Lord
Harlem Air Shaft – Lincoln City Jazz Orchestra – Live at Swing City
Davenport Blues – Jack Teagarden – Jazz Great
Basin St. Blues – Jack Teagarden – Misery and the Blues
I’m Walking – George French – It’s a Beginning http://www.georgefrench.com
Mahogany Hall Stomp – Louis Armstrong – Mack the Knife [LIVE]
South Rampart St. Parade – Bob Crosby – Anthology of Big Band Swing

The George French album I got at Lindy Gras I still can't get enough of, posting his web site so those of you who want to check it out can - they were the Friday night band at late night at Lindy Gras.