Casey MacGill - Jump

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Lindyguy

Casey MacGill - Jump

#1 Post by Lindyguy » Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:05 am

I open my weekly dance with the song Late Night Swing.

Yesterday, I had a dancer come up to me and ask where they could get it. I referred him to Casey's website and Amazon. He said, "Yeah, I checked both and Casey's not making anymore and it's $75 or more on Amazon."

Wow! I verified this today

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/offer- ... dition=all

Has anybody ever ran into any other swing disc from a modern band? I was flabbergasted.
If you have to put fruit in it, it's not beer.

Ariston

#2 Post by Ariston » Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:55 pm

Is there an image of the Virgin Mary on the back of each liner note?

kbuxton

#3 Post by kbuxton » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:24 am

Wonder how much I could get for my signed copy? ;)

Lawrence

#4 Post by Lawrence » Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:38 pm

Maybe someone will be stupid enough to buy all my Cherry Poppin Daddy CDs as "collector's items," too.

Casey's better than CPD, but that's ridiculous.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Serg

#5 Post by Serg » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:29 am

I have this CD. I would not even mind giving away if you buy me a drink. Neo Swing at its best. But what do I know, Yuval Hod swears by it.

Serg

djstarr

#6 Post by djstarr » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:25 pm

go Casey. That's pretty funny. Next time I run into him I'll have to ask him about why it's not being produced anymore. I would put the CD above a lot of stuff produced during the swing fad; it's beginner friendly but at least it's not based on rock.

Racetrack

#7 Post by Racetrack » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:44 pm

This is ridiculous! I really like Casey's stuff and was thinking of adding the CD to my DJ collection, but at a cost of $99? This is the stuff that keeps CD piracy going. The economic incentive is just too big to avoid the temptation - that, combined with the sense that people are getting ripped off.

I understand, the item going out of print creates an economics of scarcity. But I for one believe that if artistic works are withdrawn from the marketplace (which happens all too often) putting new "bootleg" copies out there is actually a socially responsible thing to do. Bear in mind the original artists do not get a cent of royalty out of the resale of a "collectors" CD.

GemZombie

#8 Post by GemZombie » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:10 am

At this point the artist and/or studio makes no more money, so I say bootleg away! :twisted:

Glad I got my copy long ago, even if i rarely use it anymore. If I hear Rhythm one more time as the climax song for a contest, I'm gonna scream.

mousethief

#9 Post by mousethief » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:48 am

Bah.

I just got another one from Djangos for $8.00. Just because one person lists something don't mean the market bends to their will.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Ron

#10 Post by Ron » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:45 pm

Speaking of Casey McGill, why don't they put out another album? It really was well-done modern pop swing. The songs got overplayed because they were well-done and catchy.

JesseMiner

Re: Casey MacGill - Jump

#11 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:27 pm

Reviving an old thread...

I interviewed Casey MacGill on the most recent episode of my Hey Mister Jesse podcast. After the interview, I asked him about the lack of availability of his Jump CD. He said he is actually sitting on a bunch of copies, so if anyone is interested in buying a copy at a reasonable price directly from the artist, let me know, and I will put you in touch with him. I love the Jump CD and quite often play tracks from it.

And to answer Ron's question, the band on the Jump CD disbanded when Casey moved to NYC to perform in the Broadway musical Swing. Casey is currently playing with Casey MacGill's Blue 4 Trio in Seattle, and their self-titled CD is great!

Jesse