Chiaroscuro Records

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Nate Dogg

Chiaroscuro Records

#1 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:46 pm

The source label for the "For Dancers Only" Yehoodi compilation.

Aside from the obvious (tracks included on "For Dancers Only"), what albums and songs do you have from this label? What do you like to play?

Since, eMusic just added the label to its roster, I am going to start listening to samples and download tracks/albums.

Mr Awesomer

#2 Post by Mr Awesomer » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:48 pm

Speaking of the "For Dancers Only!" album...

I finally listened to the whole thing through last night...

WHAT WERE YOU PEOPLE THINKING?!?

These are the best songs the Chiaroscuro label has to offer to dancers? ...as picked by swing DJs?

Jesus H. Christ

If the Muppets had a swing album, this would be it.

Maybe you guys should have approached Verve with this idea instead?
Reuben Brown
Southern California

SirScratchAlot

#3 Post by SirScratchAlot » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:02 pm

as picked by swing DJ's? holy sh1t thats pathetic...if calling yourself a swing DJ isnt already.
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

CafeSavoy

#4 Post by CafeSavoy » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:05 pm

GuruReuben wrote:Maybe you guys should have approached Verve with this idea instead?
I'm glad to see nothing has changed. Use the search function and you will discover that label approached Dave. But don't let the facts get in the way of your tirades. I guess things must be slow in the junction. And please do approach Verve Music Group for access to their catalog. Especially for access to music that hasn't yet been released on cd.

Now on to Nathan's question, I've been thinking about it but haven't had a chance to compile anything since i don't really think of songs by label. But i will go through the catalog for cds i have and make suggestions. Also they seem to have a much larger selection than what was made available to Dave and there are some interesting recordings in the rest of their catalog. I had started listening to some of the samples to make a list for research but got sidetracked.

Mr Awesomer

#5 Post by Mr Awesomer » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:15 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:I'm glad to see nothing has changed. Use the search function and you will discover that label approached Dave. But don't let the facts get in the way of your tirades.
Did I say something contrary to that? I knew that. My point was that perhaps the idea should have then inturn been taken to Verve. Sorry for the lack of clarity in my tirade, but after all, it was a tirade. I feel much better now though, thanks.

And I only brought it up cause I happen to listen to the album last night (as a whole) and I happen to see this thread this morning.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Mr Awesomer

#6 Post by Mr Awesomer » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:18 pm

SirScratchAlot wrote:as picked by swing DJ's?
Best quote by someone who was listening to this with me:
"This makes me want to just quit dancing."
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Toon Town Dave

#7 Post by Toon Town Dave » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:11 pm

To be honest, I have to agree with Reuben's overly brutal comment.

There's some good music, quite suitable for dancing however none really inspire me to dance Lindy Hop. As a DJ, I would spin several tracks for ballroom dancers but probably wouldn't spin any for a primarily Lindy Hop audience.

Nate Dogg

#8 Post by Nate Dogg » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:38 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:Now on to Nathan's question, I've been thinking about it but haven't had a chance to compile anything since i don't really think of songs by label. But i will go through the catalog for cds i have and make suggestions. Also they seem to have a much larger selection than what was made available to Dave and there are some interesting recordings in the rest of their catalog. I had started listening to some of the samples to make a list for research but got sidetracked.
Once I get a chance to listen to some the albums, samples, I would post anything cool that I find. Bound to be some cool stuff.

Nathan