listening to the lyrics

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

gatorgal

#16 Post by gatorgal » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:30 pm

Lawrence wrote:Perhaps its because I learned about the song through the story, but "Strange Fruit" is... not so subtle. Poetic, yes; subtle, no.

"Black bodies swinging in the southern breeze," "hanging from the poplar trees," "the bulging eyes and twisted mouth," "the sudden smell of burning flesh," "rot," "suck" Yeah... subtelty at its finest.
I've forgotten who sang the version Jerry played (and it's someone I should know, it's gonna kill me when I remember) but the way she sang it... was sorta subtle. It's hard to describe.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Lawrence

#17 Post by Lawrence » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:34 pm

On a lighter note, I have at rare times received no reaction whatsoever with the Neo Swing-cha song, "Are those things really real?" But there are enough times when someone picks up the line "I think I can see a hint of... silicone." Then they start tapping people on the shoulders or yelling at me, whereupon more people start listening, eyes start bulging, and some start laughing.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Nate Dogg

#18 Post by Nate Dogg » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:05 pm

Lawrence wrote:Perhaps its because I learned about the song through the story, but "Strange Fruit" is... not so subtle. Poetic, yes; subtle, no.

"Black bodies swinging in the southern breeze," "hanging from the poplar trees," "the bulging eyes and twisted mouth," "the sudden smell of burning flesh," "rot," "suck" Yeah... subtelty at its finest.
I think we are using the word "subtle" differently. We basically agree, I think.

The whole metaphor aspect of the song, poetic as you call it, can trick the listener. Plenty of non-dancers miss the point upon first listen. I first heard the song through Sting's version and I missed it.

I just don't think "Strange Fruit" is a good example for saying that dancers don't listen to lyrics. The example of the dancers blues dancing to it is a testament to the effectiveness of the song's concept and execution.

Lawrence

#19 Post by Lawrence » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:41 pm

Poetic does not mean subtle when bulging eyes and burning flesh are used. That's like calling ME subtle. :lol: Here, "poetic" refers to the clever phrasing and ironic comparison to "fruit," which does not have burning flesh or bulging eyes.

If you listen to the other half of the lyrics, you can be tricked. But that just proves the point: they aren't listening if they are grinding to this song, in particular.

Like I said, I might be ignorant due to my lack of ignorance about this particular song. But this is not a song that jazz enthusiasts or scholars exclusively know. It was one of about three songs played in its entirety in Ken Burns' widely-watched Jazz documentary series; it has been the sole subject of at least one or two other documentaries (its social impact and how it addressed racial issues of the times, etc.), and has been featured in virtually every Billie Holiday documentary.

Moreover, Holiday's vocals are particularly haunting and NOT AT ALL romantic or seductive in this song, so I can't see grinding to it, myself, or even dancing to it, at all.

But maybe I'm in the minority because I don't know what it is like to NOT know this song.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Naomi

#20 Post by Naomi » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:55 pm

Listening to the lyrics can be so much fun! Of course, you might not always keep your composure, but sometimes it's worth it. At 9:20 here in SF, David Graybill has been spinning a lot. He's got this song called, "Coffee and Reefer" which just killed me the other night, with some line about how Ecstasy will make you make love to a wall...I just about died laughing. He just looked at me and smiled...

I guess I always relate to songs by listening to the lyrics. Then again, maybe that's one reason I became a dj...by listening.

JeffyCupcake

#21 Post by JeffyCupcake » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:45 pm

I have "Coffee and Reefer". I cracked up when I heard the "I love you wall" part too :p I keep forgetting to play it at the dances though :(

Segue in C

#22 Post by Segue in C » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:57 pm

Have a listen to the lyrics in the Andrews Sisters version of 'Hold' tight sometime. Cracks me up. All that talk about 'buttered fish' isn't about seafood thats for sure. I read once that the sisters had no idea what they even singing about in many of their songs until years later.

I like oysters, lobsters too,
I like my tasty buttered fish...ooh,
When I get home late at night,
I get my fav-our-ite dish...fish!

I play Sidney Bechets version which is a little bit different.

JeffyCupcake

#23 Post by JeffyCupcake » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:27 am

I have Sidney Bechet's version of Hold Tight but not the Andrews Sisters. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Swifty

#24 Post by Swifty » Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:05 am

I have and play a sweet version by Fats Waller too.
"Dance like it hurts. Love like you need money. Work when people are watching."

hypr_chik

#25 Post by hypr_chik » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:47 pm

I recall dancing to "Shake Rattle And Roll" with a fairly prominant DJ and he mentions it was one of his favorite songs. He was all kidding around and being silly (which is cool and fun) - I mention something about it being such a dirty song. Said leader is literally hoping around being a one eyed cat... then OMG, it clicks. The song forever corrupted for him.

Some people listen to words - some don't.

(I do and find that it can help or hinder. I sometimes choose to dance the vocals which can be a bit of a freak out as I sometimes can't deal with dancing to some of the more risque stuff - especially if/when it catches me off guard. I also find that there are times when I turn pink or just stop dancing or tone it down and apologise to my lead and just listen cause I am enjoying lyrics.)

I love watching the floor as I spin certain songs to see if people 'get it'. Sometimes its fun watching reactions for the more shocking pieces (yes, I have a thing for the old dirty stuff) but also for what people are actually doing in other songs where the tone and content don't match as predictably as you'd think. ie/ people bumping and grinding to a funeral dirge.

Sometimes its worth a revisit to songs you already know and love. Ever really listened to the sugar sweet Ella, singing "Goodie Goodie"? Notice that the tone is really such a contrast to the turn around is fair play and now you're finally getting what you deserve buddy lyrics. "Don't Get Around Much Anymore" usually has a fairly zippy tone to it and yet its' lyrics are so sad.

gatorgal: I heard the Camel Toe song for the first time when
CafeSavoy played it in Toronto too. *shudder* Disgusted, appauled, shocked, fascinated - heck, I think my skin actually crawled. I know I stopped dancing to listen and laugh.

djstarr

#26 Post by djstarr » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:46 pm

hypr_chik wrote:I love watching the floor as I spin certain songs to see if people 'get it'. Sometimes its fun watching reactions for the more shocking pieces (yes, I have a thing for the old dirty stuff) but also for what people are actually doing in other songs where the tone and content don't match as predictably as you'd think. ie/ people bumping and grinding to a funeral dirge.
St. James Infirmary is usually done to bump and grind music; I've also thought it as blues for unrequited love - lol.
hypr_chik wrote:Sometimes its worth a revisit to songs you already know and love. Ever really listened to the sugar sweet Ella, singing "Goodie Goodie"? Notice that the tone is really such a contrast to the turn around is fair play and now you're finally getting what you deserve buddy lyrics.
Goody Goody is one of my favorite tracks to open a dance with and I can hear a little edge in her voice, like "you sucka, serves you right".

A really funny song which Charlie Fuller turned me on to is Irene Reid's "One Eyed Man"..... at the end she has decimated both her man and his lover and proclaims "What are they going to do to me? She can't walk and he can't see". ha ha ha ha.

jmatthew

#27 Post by jmatthew » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:31 pm

I don't see quite the disparity between grinding and deperessing music. It seems to be part of human nature to return to "life-making" activities in the face of death, or at least to think in that direction. Depressing and sad music seems like it would invoke the same sort of reactions, looking towards feeling "something else" and reaffirming our own aliveness.

Which isn't to say I think it's appropriate exactly, and I doubt I'll ever play Strange Fruit at a blues party, but it certainly doesn't suprise me that people dance to the song, even if they do get the words.
I'm not an obsessive personality. I just happen to pick hobbies that seem to consume my life.

www.lindyguy.com

Skippy

#28 Post by Skippy » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:11 pm

maybe its where I come from but i've never had to worry about the lyrics of the music being played. I've not had anyone come up to me and say anything nor look at me in a strange way.

I must confess, I don't usually listen to the lyrics either. Perhaps I should start to, just in case I ever DJ interstate.
http://www.swinggear.com.au

now selling authorised WWII posters and featuring a newly refined black t-shirt printing method. Now even greater quality than before.

kitkat

#29 Post by kitkat » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:22 pm

Roy wrote:I tested this out by playing a 1935 Delta blues song from Lucille Bogan with some nasty lyrics late at night. I got no response from most people on the dance floor. Late in the song after saying phuck for the umpteemph time, a follower near the DJ booth looked at me and said what the hell is this?
SHAVE 'EM DRY (unexpurgated version)
A big sow gets fat from eatin' corn,
And a pig gets fat from suckin',
Reason you see this whore, fat like I am,
Great God, I got fat from fuckin'.
Aside: Eeeeh! Shave 'em dry
(Roland: Aah, shake it, don't break it)
When Roy first posted this, I had a flashback to a forgotten song I heard while listening to borrowed music, trying to figure out if I liked any tracks off of it. I think I was lying on my bed in the suburbs of Paris, so it must have been 2004, and I remember listening to a badly mastered old song w/ a female singer who essentially sang a song with lyrics themed, "I'm fat, but men are attracted to me anyway because I actually enjoy sex."

It wasn't this song--I know that much.

I can't remember listening to any crackly old female-vocalist blues that summer except Billie Holiday, and I can't imagine it was a track of hers.

Anybody else know of those "I'm fat but I enjoy myself in bed, so I'm actually hotter than all the other women" songs?

(I found a really cool picture that made me think of this theme and want to write lyrics on the back.)

triedinthefire

Depends on your Venue

#30 Post by triedinthefire » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:17 pm

Of course I would have to say that it depends on your venue. At our dances the lyrics are VERY important and very often listened to. Of course our dances are very unique.

triedinthefire
http://christiansocialdance.org