What are your favorite songs right now?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

SpuzBal

#136 Post by SpuzBal » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:44 pm

You (brotherswing) would probably like the Glenn Miller CD The Spirit is Willing.
"In my opinion, out of the ten great guitarists in the world, Django is five of them!" - Rex Stewart

Brother Swing

#137 Post by Brother Swing » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:32 pm

kitkat wrote: I've always rather liked "Comes Love," but none seemed just right for dancers..
Comes Love version by Billie Holiday in the Album "All Or Nothing At All" (Verve) is one of my all times favorite for dancing. I play it at nearly all late night sets I do.

This album from 1955 is fantastic. The rhythm section is the Verve classic including Ben Webster, Barney Kessel, Jimmy Rowles. This is a must have double CD.

Manu

#138 Post by Manu » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:26 am

Comes Love version by Billie Holiday in the Album "All Or Nothing At All" (Verve) is one of my all times favorite for dancing. I play it at nearly all late night sets I do.
I aggree with BrotherSwing, This is my favorite version of Comes Loves... I also play it quiet often

BigBandDJay

#139 Post by BigBandDJay » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:33 pm

brotherswing wrote:I'm not sure someone as mentionned it yet, but I found a nice version of "I Wish I Could Shimmy Like My Sister Kate" by Madeleine Peyroux in a live CD called "20 Years of Music-Vol 3". I like it a lot.
Check out the version by the "Ditty Bops". Saw them live last month, they do that song justice. I even like it better then the Peyroux version.

http://www.dittybops.com/ to hear a full version of the song.

CafeSavoy

#140 Post by CafeSavoy » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:47 am

Manu wrote:
I aggree with BrotherSwing, This is my favorite version of Comes Loves... I also play it quiet often
I agree. Great song and great versions.

Pocail

#141 Post by Pocail » Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:12 am

Here are my 2 choices for now. I'm the manager of Jazz-Blues in a record store (Archambault records in Montreal), so my choices changes each week:

-Second Chance
Thad Jones & Mel Lewis
A 9 min. Piece (Great for Mega-Jams)

Duck Fever
Freddie Jackson
(Ooooh! Love that Sax!)

But I must say you all have great choices

JeffyCupcake

#142 Post by JeffyCupcake » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:25 pm

Can someone tell me where I can get the Victrola version of Drop Me Off In Harlem? I was looking it up the other night and was having a little trouble finding it. If it's possible to purchase just that one song and not the whole CD that is fine too. I believe someone in this thread posted it as one of their favorites but I don't have time right now to find the page it's on. Thanks.

Moonmist

#143 Post by Moonmist » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:23 am

Well they used to sell it at their band's website, but since that's no longer, you might want to try Waterloo.

http://www.waterloorecords.com/v2.html

Nate Dogg

#144 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:05 pm

Moonmist wrote:Well they used to sell it at their band's website, but since that's no longer, you might want to try Waterloo.

http://www.waterloorecords.com/v2.html
Yeah, Waterloo has some in stock.

Jeff, if you have a problem ordering it. PM me. While the band is broken up, the singer (Alice Spencer) still plays a few times a month in various other bands (ACME Song Co. being the most popular for dancers).

She played the Austin Lindy Exchange last year. A live recording of that event will be released in the near future (I don't know the exact date). If you like "Drop Me Off In Harlem", you will probably like the ALX album.

Nathan

PS - The second album by Victrola is not an ideal record for dancing. It is good for listening though.

djstarr

#145 Post by djstarr » Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:05 pm

I've been playing "Ain't Misbehavin'" a lot lately, Sidney Bechet, Blues in Thirds (recorded 1940ish). Nice mid-tempo (140) version.

Another great song is "The Feeling of Jazz", from Wynton Marsalis, "The Magic Hour", featuring Diana Reeves. It's one of those slow long barn-burner songs. Really builds up in intensity.

SpuzBal

#146 Post by SpuzBal » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:10 pm

djstarr wrote:I've been playing "Ain't Misbehavin'" a lot lately, Sidney Bechet, Blues in Thirds (recorded 1940ish). Nice mid-tempo (140) version.
That's such a great recording.
"In my opinion, out of the ten great guitarists in the world, Django is five of them!" - Rex Stewart

lipi

#147 Post by lipi » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:32 pm

i don't think i've posted in this thread yet (and i'm bored), so here goes:

"now you have jazz", louis armstrong, "mack the knife"
"ol' man mose", ella fitzgerald, "jukebox ella: the complete verve singles, volume 1"
"all the cats join in", benny goodman, "all the cats join in, vol. 3" -- this is not the same cut as the one used in the "make mine music" short. i think this one is better.
"love me or leave me", sammy davis jr., "the decca years" -- even if i did hear it every night at least once at the london exchange this year.

Albert System

#148 Post by Albert System » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:14 am

I love the Show/ Helen Forrest version of "Comes Love" too... but then again, I love her and that band sooo much! Some other titles they did that are great:

"Deep Purple"

"Deep in a Dream of You"

Also, check out Fletcher Henderson's recording of "Back in Your Own Backyard"

1flygirl

#149 Post by 1flygirl » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:18 pm

Posted:I've been playing "Ain't Misbehavin'"
Great song!! There are so many good ones out there. Right now I love these.

Les Yeux Noir by Reynold D. Philipsek
Where Is by Fats Waller
Dinah by Count Basie
I've Got a Feeling I'm Falling by Louis Armstrong
Who Walks in When I Walk Out? by Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong
Minor Swing by Boilermaker Jazz Band (shout out to Paul :) !!)

Swifty

#150 Post by Swifty » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:37 am

I can't get enough of that "Minor Swing" cut lately. Love it.
"Dance like it hurts. Love like you need money. Work when people are watching."