DJ Battle of the Bands format

What's happening?

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Petitetonya

#16 Post by Petitetonya » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:44 am

this is AWESOME feedback...thank you so much and keep it coming if you have more ideas.

I agree that I don't want the night to feel broken up, especially with contests. I like the idea of assigning the dj to a band ahead of time too and having each dj be a band. I also like the idea of 15 min sets instead of three song sets (there is always the dj that plays 3 five min songs). I also like the idea of judging 50% by audience and 50% by judges. Then the popularity contest is only partially in effect. I liked how at ULHS the audience voted on slips of paper, but if it is only one night, I am not sure how accurate that would be. It is always exciting to have the audience applaud too.
So, my only concern with the dj's being assigned to a particular band, is that the people will just vote for who their favorite band is. Everyone will want Duke and the Count. Is it really a dj contest if they are voting for their favorite band? I guess if the dj is really good, they can pick some bad ass songs that the audience loves and maybe a Basie enthusiast will vote for Hampton because of the song selection, who knows.

What bands do ya'll think would be the best choices to assign to the dj's?
Count Basie
Duke Ellington
who else would you choose that would help make the contest equal playing ground?

Mr Awesomer

#17 Post by Mr Awesomer » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:02 am

Why do people even need to vote?

Back in the day, they didn't take a vote to see that Chick beat Benny. It was just talked about amoung the dancers... and everyone just knew who the winner was.

After having been a part of and creating several diffirent DJ "battle" type nights, I think in general DJ "battles" featuring more then just two DJ's end up sucking since nothing can really top two quality DJs playing songs back to back all night long.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

main_stem

#18 Post by main_stem » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:16 am

Petitetonya wrote:I also like the idea of 15 min sets instead of three song sets (there is always the dj that plays 3 five min songs).
You could play one song by Duke and take up 15 minutes, but I;m just evil that way.
Petitetonya wrote:What bands do ya'll think would be the best choices to assign to the dj's?
I think you should allow the DJ's to pick which band they want to be, this will allow them to play to their strengths. You might get some surprising band selections too.

Anyway that's my $0.02.
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

Bob the Builder

#19 Post by Bob the Builder » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:13 pm

I'd keep away from Count and Duke. Everyone hears them all the time, and they are many people's favorites anyway.
I’d look to
Dorsey, Goodman, Shaw, Miller, Lunceford, Hawkins, Callaway, Millender, Kirk, Hampton, Web, Henderson, Gray, ect ect, if you are looking at a classic approach.
Give the DJ’s a good choose, just ensure the Artist have a good range of recordings to chose from.

Brian :D
Last edited by Bob the Builder on Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GemZombie

#20 Post by GemZombie » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:49 pm

As I've said before, If I were to participate in a battle of the bands, I'd do use Shaw. It might be a bit harder to do than Ellington or Basie given the sheer volume of their works, but I'd have a good time trying :)

Petitetonya

#21 Post by Petitetonya » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:31 pm

Okay folks, I have the details for the DJ Battle of the Bands on Saturday night, this is going to be bad ass check it out...thanks for all of your input, as you can see, I used a lot of your ideas!:

Battle Format

Each DJ will pick 2 bands. They will each play two 15 minute sets (one band per set). There will be continuous music so the dancing will not be interrupted! The judging will be 50% judging panel and 50% audience applause. After the winner is announced, all of the dj's will rotate song to song with any band/artist they choose. That is just for fun but whenever a bunch of dj's feed off of eachother it makes for an amazing night of dancing.

DJ Battle of the Band Contestants and their Bands

Reuben Brown Glenn Miller and Charlie Barnet
Mike Faltesek Chick Webb and Andy Kirk
Giselle Anguizola Fats Faller and Fletcher Henderson
Travis Whetman Sidney Bechet and Artie Shaw
Tonya Morris Eddie Condon and Jimmie Lunceford

DJ Battle Schedule
9-9:20 Travis
9:15-9:30 Tonya
9:30-9:45 Reuben
9:45-10:00 Giselle
10:00-10:30 Lindy Hop Couples prelims
10:30-10:45 Mike
10:45-11:00 Travis
11:00-11:30 Jack n' Jill Finals
11:30-11:45 Tonya
11:45-12:00 Reuben
12:00-12:15 Giselle
12:15-12:30 Mike
12:30-12:40 DJ Battle Audience Applause
12:40-2:00 Mike, Giselle, Reuben & Tonya Rotate Song to Song

mousethief

#22 Post by mousethief » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:37 pm

Reuben supposedly hates Glenn Miller. Does he keep taking his book as a challenge or as penance?

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Mr Awesomer

#23 Post by Mr Awesomer » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:20 pm

mousethief wrote:Reuben supposedly hates Glenn Miller. Does he keep taking his book as a challenge or as penance?

Kalman
c: Comedy
Reuben Brown
Southern California

mousethief

#24 Post by mousethief » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:30 pm

I C

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

sonofvu

#25 Post by sonofvu » Wed May 18, 2005 6:54 am

You mean to tell me that Giselle is not going to do Jelly Roll?
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.