Titan Hot Seven

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

SpuzBal

Titan Hot Seven

#1 Post by SpuzBal » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:14 am

Does anybody have any information about finding discs by the Titan Hot Seven (or Titan Hot Five with Jeff Barnhart and Bob Draga)? I'm after Never the Same Thing Once, and Jam in Music City. I've searched everywhere and managed to find a place that apparently sells Without a Net, but other than that, I have no idea where to get these discs, except at their shows.

Thanks. :)
"In my opinion, out of the ten great guitarists in the world, Django is five of them!" - Rex Stewart

julius

#2 Post by julius » Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:23 am

Most of the "festival circuit" jazz bands are not very web savvy. I recommend going to a trad jazz festival and visiting the CD sales booths in hopes of scoring.

Travis

#3 Post by Travis » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:14 pm

julius wrote:Most of the "festival circuit" jazz bands are not very web savvy. I recommend going to a trad jazz festival and visiting the CD sales booths in hopes of scoring.
Those booths can be so overpriced. The booth at the Seaside, OR festival had Proper sets for $42??? Funny thing is those sets are worth that much IMHO :)

SpuzBal

#4 Post by SpuzBal » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:15 pm

Good idea.

Maybe I'll come down for OC's festival in August.
"In my opinion, out of the ten great guitarists in the world, Django is five of them!" - Rex Stewart

djstarr

#5 Post by djstarr » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:12 pm

Travis - is this the band you guys liked so much at Seaside? Joon called them Hot Titan Seven, but I think it's probably the same group.

We listened to them last night - really awesome - I dug the version of Indiana that featured the tuba.

julius

#6 Post by julius » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:23 pm

Most CDs at booths are about $15. Given that you can't buy most of the CDs anywhere else, I think that's OK. You can always try dickering a bit too, especially if you buy, like, 10 CDs at a time.

djstarr

#7 Post by djstarr » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:38 pm

julius wrote:Most CDs at booths are about $15. Given that you can't buy most of the CDs anywhere else, I think that's OK. You can always try dickering a bit too, especially if you buy, like, 10 CDs at a time.
What I thought was cool was that the guy selling CDs at the Puget Sound Trad Society concert had bought up CDs of groups across the country as he travelled; he then resold them here. For example, there were a bunch of Boilermaker CDs...

after your comment that most of these groups don't market on-line, this guys reselling made a lot of sense to me - grass roots promotion.

Travis

#8 Post by Travis » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:56 pm

djstarr wrote:Travis - is this the band you guys liked so much at Seaside? Joon called them Hot Titan Seven, but I think it's probably the same group.

We listened to them last night - really awesome - I dug the version of Indiana that featured the tuba.
Yup - that's them.

Travis

#9 Post by Travis » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:02 pm

julius wrote:Most CDs at booths are about $15. Given that you can't buy most of the CDs anywhere else, I think that's OK. You can always try dickering a bit too, especially if you buy, like, 10 CDs at a time.
That's cheaper than what I've seen. Most single cd's at Seaside were between $17-$19. The ones in the "Blow-Out" bin were about $15.

They do have some obscure stuff though. The guy at Seaside had all 11 volumes of Eddie Condon's Town Hall Concerts. I was drooling. I forget how much he wanted for them - I think it was close to $400 for the lot.

I'm just jaded because I'm so poor right now.

djstarr

#10 Post by djstarr » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:36 pm

Thanks to Jim Wheatley for playing a track from the Titan Hot 7's new cd - just went to their web site and they have paypal CD purchasing all setup. Very cool.

Anyone else DJ them? Travis and Joon love them, and I might be playing a few now that I'm getting a new CD in the mail ;-)

Campus Five

#11 Post by Campus Five » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:45 pm

I have to say I'm a bit mystified by everybody going gaga over the Titan Hot Seven. They play loud and fast - is that all anybody cares about anymore? Bob's great, Jeff's great, but honestly rest of the band is just getting by. I guess they do roll around on their backs when playing - guess I've just seen to it too many times.
I can't stand groove music, but why does the alternative have to be Dixie or Trad stuff. What the hell happened to "Swing"?

I guess I'm just wondering if anybody actually cares about swing music anymore. I feel like if there's no tuba or washboard, or if there's no organ nobody's interested.
"I don''t dig that two beat jive the New Orleans cats play.
My boys and I have four heavy beats to the bar and no cheating!
--Count Basie
www.campusfive.com
www.myspace.com/campusfive
www.swingguitar.blogspot.com

GemZombie

#12 Post by GemZombie » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:52 pm

Campus Five wrote:I have to say I'm a bit mystified by everybody going gaga over the Titan Hot Seven. They play loud and fast - is that all anybody cares about anymore? Bob's great, Jeff's great, but honestly rest of the band is just getting by. I guess they do roll around on their backs when playing - guess I've just seen to it too many times.
I can't stand groove music, but why does the alternative have to be Dixie or Trad stuff. What the hell happened to "Swing"?

I guess I'm just wondering if anybody actually cares about swing music anymore. I feel like if there's no tuba or washboard, or if there's no organ nobody's interested.
I think there are a lot of us who like variety. I haven't heard the TH7, but I am a fan of trad jazz, as well as Swing. My perfect night of dancing would feature a set from The Jonathan Stout Big Band (The best big band I've ever heard), a set from The Reynold Brothers, a set from the Stompy Jones, and a closing set again by the JS Big Band. Damn that would be awesome! Throw a set from the Campus Five doing some G5 covers and I'd probably have a dancegasm :P

Also you might find some people "going ga-ga" over something because they've had too much of something else rammed down their throats for so long they are tired of it.

We have a decent local band called the Viper 6, not great, but certainly not bad. But week after week it's all we hear, and now I'm a bit sick of it. Variety, as they say, is the spice of life.

JSAlmonte

#13 Post by JSAlmonte » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:25 pm

Campus Five wrote:I can't stand groove music, but why does the alternative have to be Dixie or Trad stuff. What the hell happened to "Swing"?

I think part of the reason is that, in terms of live music available today, most swing bands play jazz reflective of post-WWII musical elements mixed in with lots of rat pack type crooner music. There are very few bands that play the way that you or say, Mora's Modern Rhythmists play. And even fewer that play for lindy hoppers. Traditional/Dixieland bands on the other had are relatively more plentiful around the country. Then there's also the increased interest in charleston movements which makes that type of music even more appealing.

jerry

Campus Five

#14 Post by Campus Five » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:27 pm

JSAlmonte wrote:I think part of the reason is that, in terms of live music available today, most swing bands play jazz reflective of post-WWII musical elements mixed in with lots of rat pack type crooner music. There are very few bands that play the way that you or say, Mora's Modern Rhythmists play.
Those modern "jazz" or "rat pack" bands aren't Swing bands. Just as neo-swing and jump blues bands aren't. But, neither are Dixieland bands.
Just because there aren't good swing bands doesn't seem like a good reason to laud non-swing bands.

I went to visit some friends in another town where all they really have is this dixieland band every saturday night. They thought it was great, but the band was really bad. It was the best thing they had, but I wouldn't heap praise on it either.

I just don't see very many people interested in Swing. It seems like every event (non-groove) has been all-trad. I never liked dixieland, and I hate dancing to it. I'm kind of sick of going out and not wanting to dance either because the music is all groove, or because its all dixieland.

Thank you for the nice words, though. Next time I need some compliments, remind me to complain some more.
"I don''t dig that two beat jive the New Orleans cats play.
My boys and I have four heavy beats to the bar and no cheating!
--Count Basie
www.campusfive.com
www.myspace.com/campusfive
www.swingguitar.blogspot.com

Mr Awesomer

#15 Post by Mr Awesomer » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:04 am

Where have you been going that it's been "all Dixieland?" I think you're generalizing and lumping lots of things together, and you should know better then to be doing that.
Reuben Brown
Southern California