What's the worst swing song ever?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Yakov

#61 Post by Yakov » Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:30 pm

Matthew wrote:Check out "In the Mood" on this one (the thing's been on my sadism wish-list since September):

Magic Organ: Happy Melodies
bahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

mousethief

#62 Post by mousethief » Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:39 pm

Matthew wrote:Check out "In the Mood" on this one (the thing's been on my sadism wish-list since September):

Magic Organ: Happy Melodies
New pick-up line in the making...

That is so wrong.

Kalman's Magic Organ
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Swifty

#63 Post by Swifty » Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:02 pm

kitkat wrote:I can't find it in the liners--only the composer. Do you know who arranged the Wilson version?
AllMusic lists Buster Harding as the arranger on Teddy Wilson Chron. Classics '39-'41 and Jumpin' For Joy, which both have that track.

Interestingly enough AMG lists Al Casey as playing the baritone guitar on the latter album. :shock:

RaleighRob

#64 Post by RaleighRob » Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:11 pm

c|net.com has a new free music download service at music.download.com. There's a big band section (go to Jazz->Big Band) and all the selections are atrocious.

The first band is "The Texas Instruments Jazz Band", made up of current and former employees of Texas Instruments. According to the notes on the site:
In the 1990s the group began inviting great jazz artists to appear with the band. The band has had the privilege of performing with such jazz greats as Clark Terry, Kurt Elling, Peter Erskine, Randy Brecker, Lorraine Feather, Bobby Militello, Kevin Mahogany, Frank Mantooth, Carol Welsman, Kim Park, Sandra Booker, Marvin Stamm, Leon Breeden, and Willie Thomas.

In 2000, the band was invited to play at the Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland and made their international debut.

The group plays about 12 gigs a year around the Dallas area. The band released a CD "Jazz Bytes - Version 1.0" in 2000.
Clark Terry? Montreux? How??? How? They sound like an orchestra comprised of tiny Casio keyboards.

The second group is "Boogie Woogie Ace and The Rhythmkings" from Nagoya, Japan. Listen to "Calloway Boogie" and "Crazy Rhythm" at your own risk. It's not the music, which isn't so bad. The vocals? ugh

Ron

#65 Post by Ron » Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:15 pm

I don't think "In the Mood" is worth a nomination as the worst swing song ever. Its bad, but there's so many worse songs. It's melody is inane, but catchy. However, the solos in the classic Miller version should win the award for the worst "jazz" solos ever.

Nate Dogg

#66 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:42 pm

I think the reason that "In the Mood" is being highlighted by so many people is it's popularity, it is considered to be one of the definitive swing songs by some people (not by us though).

All the songs on the Blender list also were hits in their day (We Built this City, etc...).

KevinSchaper

#67 Post by KevinSchaper » Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:58 pm

on my "I-wish-I-never-bought-it" Panama Francis live stuff, he gives a little speech before they play In the Mood, in their own defense, I think, about how it was written by a sax player in Edgar Hayes band and arranged by Eddie Durham.. I should dig it up and find the exact quote..

caab

#68 Post by caab » Sun May 02, 2004 10:29 am

cringe-worthy..."'Tain't What You Do" from Beauty and the Beard--Al Hirt and Ann Margaret (I inherited this from my grandfather, who must have had a weak moment in the mid-sixites...)

Lawrence

#69 Post by Lawrence » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:41 pm

KevinSchaper wrote:
Shanabanana wrote:
Jake wrote:Image
You win!

Those samples are hilarious.
Damnit! I used to own that!

I left it playing at the viscount one night when I was done DJing and somebody swiped it..

There is something worse (I appologize in advance... especially if you follow the link and view the song titles.. ):

Just when I thought the Michael Jackson Swing CD had the prize... I must admit, with song titles like, "My finger has been more places than my hands," this one's gotta take the prize!!
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Nate Dogg

#70 Post by Nate Dogg » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:32 pm

A new twist on "In the Mood"

A mash-up mixing "In the Mood" with the Beatles "Got To Get You Into My Life", Track 13

http://www.hearingdouble.co.uk/ccc/

Actually, there is a whole album of Revolver mash-ups.
Last edited by Nate Dogg on Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Peanut Vendor

#71 Post by The Peanut Vendor » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:31 pm

My suck list:
"Oops my bad", mentioned earlier
"In the mood" 'tis true - it's not very good. dancing to it feels very blah.
I've got this Dick Haymes album. It's all big-band, but it simply doesn't swing at all. I'm guessing it's a late 40's cut, but gad it sucks!
"Dick Haymes - Complete Columbia Recordings" 2 (disk set)

Serg

#72 Post by Serg » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:50 pm

"Itty Bitty Pretty One" I hope I spelled correctly. I don't even know who sings this junk but the other DJ here in South Florida has been playing this song for the last 7 years. We DJ together quite a lot and he still plays it just to see my reaction. I detest it. Girls even know not to ask me to dance to this garbage.

I also cringe when he plays Dion songs line Wanderer and Run Around Sue. God, I think those songs are only played by him in South Florida and no where else in the Globe. There is no hope, all is lost!

Serg

julius

#73 Post by julius » Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:39 pm

I've heard Dion songs played for lindy hoppers around here. You're not alone.

Toon Town Dave

#74 Post by Toon Town Dave » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:54 pm

I've only heard Dion stuff at ballroom dances. Wanderer for ECS and Run Around Sue for Jive. Ballroom dancers are not generally known for their taste in music.

GemZombie

#75 Post by GemZombie » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:42 pm

I'll admit it... I've played runaround sue. So what? I prefer Swing, but the occasional "novelty song" as I think it is in the dance world, can be amusing and fun. I've played it as a request for birthday jams.

Don't much care for "the wanderer".

I used to close all my swing nights with Dion's "After the Dance". It's a horridly cheezy song, and I thought it was a unique way to end a night with a bit of camp. After a year I got tired of it, and started finding other ways to end the night...