Trading collections

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

yedancer

Trading collections

#1 Post by yedancer » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:18 am

I recently was talking to a local DJ, who traded his ENTIRE collection with another "DJ." I'm not going to name names, but the person the local DJ traded with was a fairly well-known personality in the community, and this person gave a huge ammount of music to the local DJ, who received gigs upon gigs of new music and increased his collection by a huge ammount.

So what do you all think of this?

(I think there may have been discussion about this before, but I couldn't find a specific thread on it my thread.)
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Mr Awesomer

#2 Post by Mr Awesomer » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:17 am

What's to discuss? It's illegal and they should be ashamed of themselves. Period.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

main_stem

#3 Post by main_stem » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:37 am

Brilliant!

(And if you have any questions about my tone in this comment it is extreamly sarcastic)
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

mousethief

#4 Post by mousethief » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:59 pm

That sucks. I dropped off my collection with a friend while I was traveling and they ended up burning over a dozen CDs and then DJed with them. That miffed me, I have to admit.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

yedancer

#5 Post by yedancer » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:53 pm

Ok, I just wanted to make sure I'm not the only one who felt that way.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Lawrence

#6 Post by Lawrence » Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:04 pm

I think it is really horrible when people in cities across the country that I never visit come to rolling stops at stop signs, speed, neglect to signal when changing lanes, and refuse to wear a seat belt. And they do it ALL THE TIME, even though I religiously follow every traffic law... except that seat belt one. That just pisses me off when they try to tell me what to do like that!
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

GemZombie

#7 Post by GemZombie » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:17 am

Trading an entire colleciton, ya, pretty shitty... however, I've hung out with fellow music enthusiasts at exchanges and such, and we've shared a few songs, or even an entire CD before.

I don't have a problem with the occasional swap, but usually it's with the understanding that they might go buy the CD themselves, or maybe buy a bunch more based on something I gave them.

It's been rare, I'm just not going to say "how horrible" when I know it'd be hypocritical to do so.

I've bought over 400 CD's, so I'm pretty protective of my entire collection, but have shared the occasional song and CD. Sue me for trying to share my love of music.

Roy

#8 Post by Roy » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:12 am

I don't like it when a DJ has bought very few of his own CD's instead most of his music is from swaps. I think that's lame, at least support the active artists by buying some CD's.
Last edited by Roy on Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shanabanana

#9 Post by Shanabanana » Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:05 pm

The "DJs" I know who do this regularly have a much bigger problem than lack of music selection. I'm all for trading stuff -- it really opens me to new artists that I wasn't familiar with before. But it seems that the best DJs know their collection well because they built it themselves over time, and because they just loved the music. They seem to have a unique relationship with each song.

Those who are just looking for a huge number of songs with no effort seem to just miss when they're playing. Whether it's because they don't know their collection well or because they just have no musical ear, I don't know. But I can tell that they suck...yech.

shortyjul

#10 Post by shortyjul » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:51 pm

Shana - You hit the nail on the head. Good DJs need to have a relationship with their music. I may let my friends borrow a CD that I think they may enjoy, and they do the same for me. I know them well enough to know that if they truly like the music, they'll buy their own copy and go from there.

There's a dancer (nice enough guy) here who constantly asks me to borrow my music collection. I give out set lists and song titles to anyone who asks for them, but this guy ALWAYS says things like, "We should pool our resources blah blah blah." He has no resources, nor would he know what to do with my collection once he had it. He has asked me to teach him how to DJ. That translated to, "Let me accumulate your set lists, burn your music, and push the buttons, then take credit." When he asked what I thought of his set, I said, "You mean MY set from August 2004? I liked it better the first time I heard it." He didn't get it at all.

GemZombie

#11 Post by GemZombie » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:06 pm

After buying more than 400 CD's, I I'm think safe on the owning my own collection.

Honestly, very few people have given me any music (and almost every time they have, i've went out and bought the CD or a CD with the same songs), I've usually shared with fellow DJs. I won't out them here, but they are always people who I know to have an already large collection, and there's definitely no fear of them using only my stuff and "taking credit". I agree that would suck.

However, we all started somewhere. When I started I learned from the DJ's who played the music I liked. I looked over their playlists, and ya, I probably ended up imitating them a bit too much, though I'm pretty sure I never asked Reuben to "pool our resources". Although one time at his pad I looked over his stuff, and took some mental notes of some good CD's, and then bought them later.

I'm just saying that amongst those of us who are serious about the music and DJing, it's ok to share a bit here and there.

Bob the Builder

#12 Post by Bob the Builder » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:32 pm

It's bad enough swapping CD's, Whole Collections is just wrong.

You'll have a much greater love for your collection if you have gone out and spent time looking and deciding what to buy.

Brian :D

trev

#13 Post by trev » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:05 pm

Illegal copying deprives the artists of income. Oh wait... :P

Nate Dogg

#14 Post by Nate Dogg » Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:18 pm

I think DJs who know their collection and audience are going to be popular DJs, whether or not they acquired a lot of their music via hard drive trades.

DJs who already had extensive collections to begin with are probably going to slowly review and filter anything they get through a mass trade.
I don't think you can say that trading leads to bad DJing in every instance. However, mass trading does lower the barrier to entry for being a DJ and it does allow some bad DJs to get into the mix. People who would never have the time, money, knowlege to start DJing suddenly have the music.

I know some "bad" DJs who only play the CDs they bought themselves. I also know some "good" DJs who have not spent hardly any money on CDs, yet are as popular as DJs who have bought thousands of CDs. Most dancers don't care.

In the end, I try not to get very frustrated about it. The world is what it is today.

Mr Awesomer

#15 Post by Mr Awesomer » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:09 pm

Are you people really trying to justify this blatant theivery?

Why should record companies bother pulling this music out of the archives if it's just going to be plundered and spread about free of charge by a bunch of two bit "DJs?"

Why should record companies bother paying for equipment and technicians to do a quality job of restoring a bunch of old music with limited market value just to have it stolen by a bunch of cheapskates?

Why should record companies bother paying for equipment and graphic artists to design nice packaging, not to mention pay historians and/or fellow musicians to research recording dates and write the liner notes that goes with said packaging... just to have it ripped off by some dork dancer who thinks because they suddenly can play an hours worth of music they got from their friend they are suddenly a DJ?

No really, I'd love to hear some answers to the above questions that keep your justifications in place. The "but the artist is dead" argument doesn't fly!
Reuben Brown
Southern California