Good Jam Songs

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

lindyholic

Good Jam Songs

#1 Post by lindyholic » Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:24 pm

Ok, so I would like to know what everyone out there think is a good jam song, what song makes everyone want to gather in a circle and bust out.

Also, what songs do people like to play to try and get jams started?

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

KevinSchaper

Re: Good Jam Songs

#2 Post by KevinSchaper » Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:53 pm

lindyholic wrote:Ok, so I would like to know what everyone out there think is a good jam song, what song makes everyone want to gather in a circle and bust out.

Also, what songs do people like to play to try and get jams started?

Harrison
I'm much better at killing jams than starting them.. the Harry James recording of the batman theme is a wonderfully effective way to end a jam.

lindyholic

#3 Post by lindyholic » Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:20 pm

Hahaha, I remember that, everyone was wondering what it was hehe.

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

Kyle

#4 Post by Kyle » Tue Dec 03, 2002 10:40 pm

lots of great horns, and no bass solos

I think that is one of the reasons why Hand Clappin is a great tune for a jam. Hard honkin' horn, and it doesnt stop. The tempo doesnt have to be fast, just solid.

It also has to be a good song for people to naturally jam up to. The easiest one in LA is Rip it up by Bill Haley. Everyone naturally starts clappin and looks for a circle to form. It doesn't always happen, but 8/10 times I have seen it happen. For San Francisco it was Jeep Jockey Jump. Once you have the jam going, then you might be able to experiment a little bit, or really play something that you want to make sure people are in a jam to dance to. Jumpin at the Woodside would probably also work.

I like to use
Harlem Jump by Jack Teageaden

main_stem

#5 Post by main_stem » Wed Dec 04, 2002 8:23 am

IMHO Jams should be spontanious. If they happen great if they don't great. What I've noticed is when people try to create jams they feel artificial and forced. Often times they end up falling flat on their face with everyone standing around and nobody dancing.

-Kevin

Swifty

#6 Post by Swifty » Wed Dec 04, 2002 8:31 am

I prefer to announce that a jam will be forming, and then search for the "callers."

yedancer

#7 Post by yedancer » Sat Dec 07, 2002 2:25 am

In San Diego, "Rhythm" by Casey MacGill often seems to ignite a spontaneous jam.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

jacques_g

#8 Post by jacques_g » Mon Dec 16, 2002 9:36 pm

I tried: "Everybody get together" by the Treniers last week. It seemed to do all right.

JG

KevinSchaper

#9 Post by KevinSchaper » Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:14 pm

yedancer wrote:In San Diego, "Rhythm" by Casey MacGill often seems to ignite a spontaneous jam.
Hehe, while when he plays live, he always announces his spontaneous jams to Swing Brother Swing.. :)

Travis

#10 Post by Travis » Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:25 am

main_stem wrote:IMHO Jams should be spontanious. If they happen great if they don't great. What I've noticed is when people try to create jams they feel artificial and forced. Often times they end up falling flat on their face with everyone standing around and nobody dancing.

-Kevin
Yup - and this always happens when someone plays a token jam song (nothing really wrong with that) and before anyone can even start dancing, everyone in the room starts clapping and clearing the floor. Drives me nuts.

Mr Awesomer

#11 Post by Mr Awesomer » Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:53 am

Travis wrote:Yup - and this always happens when someone plays a token jam song (nothing really wrong with that) and before anyone can even start dancing, everyone in the room starts clapping and clearing the floor. Drives me nuts.
Like "Hand Clappin?"

The most simplest, mindless tune ever, and everyone is in a circle clapping at the first tone. Drives me nuts.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Travis

#12 Post by Travis » Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:16 pm

GuruReuben wrote:
Like "Hand Clappin?"
Bingo.

Lawrence

#13 Post by Lawrence » Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:35 pm

Travis wrote:
main_stem wrote:IMHO Jams should be spontanious. If they happen great if they don't great. What I've noticed is when people try to create jams they feel artificial and forced. Often times they end up falling flat on their face with everyone standing around and nobody dancing.

-Kevin
Yup - and this always happens when someone plays a token jam song (nothing really wrong with that) and before anyone can even start dancing, everyone in the room starts clapping and clearing the floor. Drives me nuts.
I couldn't agree more. "Rhythm" has become the "Sing, Sing, Sing" of the "Zeros" (as opposed to "the Nineties").
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Toon Town Dave

#14 Post by Toon Town Dave » Thu Apr 03, 2003 5:20 pm

It's also relatively short for a jam song. Perhaps due to the decreased interest in jams shorter songs are the popular thing now.

IMO, jams are still best when done to a live band. We just had our first spontaneous jam in nearly 3 years to Sing Sing Sing at our fundraiser steak night on Monday. It was a blast. It helps that the regular drummer was there, plays like Krupa.

Drew

#15 Post by Drew » Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:12 am

"Jive Jam," Duke, Ella & Duke at Cote d’Azur

"Oh Lady Be Good," Artie Shaw, the version that can be heard at the beginning of Ken Burns' Jazz Vol. 6.

"Lester Leaps In," Count Basie at Newport, but a little choppy and not particularly great to start a jam with.

Old standbys that always do it for me:

"Cottontail"
"Main Stem"
"Jumpin' at the Woodside"