Sidney Bechet

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

This side up

#31 Post by This side up » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:52 pm

This is my first comment so ......Much of Sidney is older stuff that is more ragtime suited for charleston . they are recorded in older format with pops and scratches in low fidelity.What I haven't seen mentioned is a great quality cd recording I have called Sidney Bechet "High Society " , a French CD recorded Live in France with Andre Reweliotty ' s band . First imagine a clean live recording of enthusiastic ,hand clapping swing fanatics then some of the songs slow to fast but one is drop dead in the groove, one named" Halle Halleujah "is guaranteed to move you or you should give up swing dance and change your hobby to polishing old golfballs.There are several other songs here that will also be danceable.
How did I do as my first comment?

Mr Awesomer

#32 Post by Mr Awesomer » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:28 pm

This side up wrote:Much of Sidney is older stuff that is more ragtime suited for charleston . they are recorded in older format with pops and scratches in low fidelity.
You say that like it's a bad thing. ::lays the bait::
Reuben Brown
Southern California

CafeSavoy

#33 Post by CafeSavoy » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:24 pm

GuruReuben wrote:
This side up wrote:Much of Sidney is older stuff that is more ragtime suited for charleston . they are recorded in older format with pops and scratches in low fidelity.
You say that like it's a bad thing. ::lays the bait::
which part is the bait, the pops and scratches, or the ragtime part?

Mr Awesomer

#34 Post by Mr Awesomer » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:44 am

The whole enchilada.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

CafeSavoy

#35 Post by CafeSavoy » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:47 pm

GuruReuben wrote:The whole enchilada.
http://www.pbs.org/jazz/about/about_transcripts.htm#manning wrote: Frankie: Now Lindy Hop, itself, is done to swing music. And, if you know what a swing is, it’s very smooth and it flows, so Lindy Hop flows along with this music. When all, when this, when Chick Webb and, and Fletcher Henderson and all these guys came out with swing music, Lindy Hopping just, just melted right in with that. Before that, you were doing like the Charleston, you know, that ...Dom-dom-dom, you know, and the music was being played that way. So, when they started playing swing music, it was like... Yom-dom, yom-buh..., you know, so it just swung, so you just started to, the dance just started to evolve with that swing music. So there you have the Lindy Hop.

Norma: Right. The evolution of the dance was because up at, it, dancing is, is amazing. Dancing follows music. When you had ragtime, you had the jerky, jerky, jerky kind of style because the dancing followed the jerky, jerky thing.
Last edited by CafeSavoy on Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Awesomer

#36 Post by Mr Awesomer » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:50 pm

And?
Reuben Brown
Southern California

CafeSavoy

#37 Post by CafeSavoy » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:02 pm

GuruReuben wrote:And?
If ragtime isn't swing music and 20's charleston isn't lindy hop, then it would explain why they wouldn't be the primary focus of a board called SwingDJs nor why they wouldn't be the main fare for djing aimed at lindy hoppers. And why ThisSideUp made the distinctions.

GemZombie

#38 Post by GemZombie » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:27 am

CafeSavoy wrote:
GuruReuben wrote:And?
If ragtime isn't swing music and 20's charleston isn't lindy hop, then it would explain why they wouldn't be the primary focus of a board called SwingDJs nor why they wouldn't be the main fare for djing aimed at lindy hoppers. And why ThisSideUp made the distinctions.
Lame.

Lindy Hoppers obviouly like to dance to all sorts of Jazz Music. How else do you explain the whole "groove" phenomenon, it's certainly not "Swing", so i guess they aren't doing Lindy Hop, yet 90% of the talk on this board centers around this later Jazz music.

Traditional Jazz as everyone is calling it these days has more to do with Swing and Lindy Hop than "Groove Jazz" does. (Trad Jazz is to Swing as Charleston is to Lindy Hop I suppose you could say)

Sidney Bechet is freakin' awesome to dance to.

Mr Awesomer

#39 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:17 am

CafeSavoy wrote:If ragtime isn't swing music and 20's charleston isn't lindy hop, then it would explain why they wouldn't be the primary focus of a board called SwingDJs nor why they wouldn't be the main fare for djing aimed at lindy hoppers. And why ThisSideUp made the distinctions.
Discussing music that evolved into Swing music (and thus discussing dances that evolved into Lindy Hop) makes just as much if not more sense then discussing music that Swing music evolved into (and thus discussing dances that Lindy Hop evolved into.) And you're one to quote Frankie Manning then talk about what wouldn't be the main fare for DJing aimed at Lindy Hoppers.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

SirScratchAlot

#40 Post by SirScratchAlot » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:52 am

Damn, you guys still in your little box clinging onto whatever you can cling on to....

Every generation is in competiton with the prior, Frankie and Norma where SECOND generation Lindy Hoppers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dickie wells CD, GO find songs like LAWD LAWD, AND springfeild stomp, Cecil Scott and his bright Boys, that was Savoy Ballroom Lindy Hop, pure and untanted by the generation that took out the footwork and just started throwing girls around.....But then , That would be more of a shorty George Snowden opinion.
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

mousethief

#41 Post by mousethief » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:51 am

Man, what generation are we?

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Yakov

#42 Post by Yakov » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:54 am

GeneratioNext!

but seriously folks... beating a dead horse, i know... but in my opinion we are different people living in different times, and for us to reinterpret "lindy hop" as something that can be done to, ferinstance, Gene Harris, is hardly any different (and far less radical) than, oh i don't know, for other folks to reinterpret "jazz" as something that can be undanceable or "r&b" as a genre without either rhythm or blues.

things change over time... and for someone to say (i.e.) you can't dance what's not in a 30's film clip is ridiculous.

of course, needless to say, sidney bechet fuckin ROCKS both for listening and dancing. but i try to find the tracks with a bit higher audio fidelity and a bit more modern of a rhythm section.

CafeSavoy

#43 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:10 am

GemZombie wrote:[Lame.

Lindy Hoppers obviouly like to dance to all sorts of Jazz Music. How else do you explain the whole "groove" phenomenon, it's certainly not "Swing", so i guess they aren't doing Lindy Hop, yet 90% of the talk on this board centers around this later Jazz music.

Traditional Jazz as everyone is calling it these days has more to do with Swing and Lindy Hop than "Groove Jazz" does. (Trad Jazz is to Swing as Charleston is to Lindy Hop I suppose you could say)

Sidney Bechet is freakin' awesome to dance to.
I think this question arose in a post listing some danceable Sidney Bechet. So the question of whether or not Bechet is danceable is not the issue (although apparently there was an instance where he wasn't well received at the Savoy).

Also the argument that music is not topical because it is outside the range of the swing era is most presented by those who dislike postwar jazz. So i was just returning the favor.

Also i didn't say that ragtime was not relevant, just that it wouldn't be the primary focus of a board devoted to swing. Are you arguing that ragtime should be the primary focus? Similar with 20s charleston.

Finally, i not sure if ragtime is considered traditional jazz. I thought it was more one of the sources of early jazz.

And Peter, no one ever stated that they did not dance to hot jazz at the Savoy. Just that both the music and the dancing changed over time and that the 30s swung more than the 20s. And none of that is controversial, in fact, i remember you advising music collectors to start with 1939 cause that was the best year for music. And I'm in favor of all the music played at the Savoy, even the latin.

And Rueben, please, no straw men. I did not argue to stiffle
discussion.

GemZombie

#44 Post by GemZombie » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:02 pm

I merely pointed out how rediculous it is to say that we shouldn't focus on the roots of swing on a Swing DJ's forum. Especially when so many people around the country are into it and into the dance roots. I think it encompasses what it is to be a Swing Dancer or a Swing DJ. This isn't to say that we should all turn our attention to the roots and ignore everything else... I don't believe anyone was suggesting that, though it seems by your post that you thought we were.

The very suggestion, regardless of whether you meant it as a joke, or as a way of getting your point across is absurd.

Despite the name of the forum, we're not limited to Just Swing. We're obviously all about danceable jazz music here... that is my point.

CafeSavoy

#45 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:27 pm

GemZombie wrote: Despite the name of the forum, we're not limited to Just Swing. We're obviously all about danceable jazz music here... that is my point.
I can agree with that. Although again you are missing the point. Where did i say we shouldn't discuss the roots of swing?