Bing Crosby and Louis Armstrong

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Jerry_Jelinek

Bing Crosby and Louis Armstrong

#1 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:53 am

Hi,

There was a marvelouos session done with Bing and Louis along with Billy May. I have heard the LP (the radio station has it). I have heard on good authority that a CD exists of the session.

I have been searching for the past 3 years for the CD. Does anyone have this CD or know where I could get one?

Here is the info on the recording sessions:

Bing and Satchmo (MGM) -- RECORDING DATES: June 28-29, 1960. ACCOMPANIMENT: Louis Armstrong and the Billy May Orchestra. TRACKS: Sugar, Way Down Yonder in New Orleans, Let's Sing Like a Dixieland Band, Brother Bill, Muskrat Ramble, Dardanella, Bye Bye Blues, Lazy River, Preacher, Rocky Mountain Moon, Lil Ol Tune, At the Jazz Band Ball. EVALUATION: Louis Armstrong appeared in several movies with Bing, and on many of Bing's radio and TV shows, and shared a hit single (Gone Fishin). Finally they get together for an album. Nearly every track jumps. Songwriter Johnny Mercer joins in the fun with an unbilled cameo vocal on "Lazy River." The CD has been released in Australia on the Axis label (CDAX 701597). Eight tracks are included on the EMI CD "Legends of the 20th Century." Grade: A

kitkat

#2 Post by kitkat » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:19 pm

I really want to hear this, now that I'm listening to "Now You Has Jazz" by Bing & Louis, on Louis's "Now You Has Jazz - At MGM." (I found it online in 64kbps mode...)

Utah_Nate

#3 Post by Utah_Nate » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:14 pm

There is one copy available on Amazon. Click Here

Yakov

#4 Post by Yakov » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:56 pm

i also have the LP -- with the blue cover, right? great set.

Jerry_Jelinek

#5 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:09 pm

Yakov wrote:i also have the LP -- with the blue cover, right? great set.
I recall the reissue LP is a white with blue. Has artistic drawings of Bing and Louis on the cover. The reissue I seem to recall is on Capitol/EMI.

I have never scene the original LP artwork.

A friend told me he has the CD reissue and lent it out to someone, and never got it back. URRGHHHH. I may just have to bite the bullet and borrow our LP at the station and make a CD. I hate doing that because many of the stations LPs are worn and have a lot of surface noise.

djstarr

#6 Post by djstarr » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:00 pm

I bought 'Now You Has Jazz: Louis Armstrong at MGM' while searching for the version of 'Now You Has Jazz' that Jesse played at HJDF. The MGM CD has three duets with Bing: Little One, I love you Samantha, and Now You has Jazz.

The kick ass version of 'Now you Has Jazz' is on Louis Amstrong Newport CD called 'Mack the Knife [LIVE]'. It's much better without Bing ;-)

main_stem

#7 Post by main_stem » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:34 pm

djstarr wrote: The kick ass version of 'Now you Has Jazz' is on Louis Amstrong Newport CD called 'Mack the Knife [LIVE]'. It's much better without Bing ;-)
Trummy Young is "Poppa Bing Crosby in TechniColor".
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

djstarr

#8 Post by djstarr » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:36 pm

main_stem wrote:
djstarr wrote: The kick ass version of 'Now you Has Jazz' is on Louis Amstrong Newport CD called 'Mack the Knife [LIVE]'. It's much better without Bing ;-)
Trummy Young is "Poppa Bing Crosby in TechniColor".
now that's funny..... never got that before.