has been my theme song. It became my theme song as it
was my favorite tune at the time and I used it as the
first song I ever "spun."

Yours?
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Spin Doctor

#2 Post by Spin Doctor » Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:42 pm

I had a signature song when I was a radio DJ. But I can't remember now what it was. That was too many years ago. I think it's been 15 years since I was on the radio.

These days, as a swing dance DJ, I don't have a theme song. But I've been told by some that I have a few signature songs. One would be "Kentucky Avenue" by Duke Ellington and another would be "Information Blues" by Duke Robillard. Those songs - and a few others - have been consistent 'staples' in my collection for many years.

Although those two tunes don't reflect it, I have also been told twice while DJing at different events that I play "happy" music. I hadn't noticed until then.

- John

Soupbone

#3 Post by Soupbone » Mon Dec 02, 2002 11:55 am

Swingmatism is a great cut, Reuben. Love that one.

I'm not sure it qualifies as a theme-song for me, but for the longest time I would always play Erskine Hawkins' version of "Soft Winds." Of course, I only DJ every few months or so and I don't think anyone else around here plays it. So, it didn't get overplayed.

Gary

Greg Avakian

#4 Post by Greg Avakian » Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:35 am

Can't say I have a theme song. I go through times when I play a song that I think nobody has or plays. Recent examples are "The great city" by Les McCann, "This little light of mine" by The Steels -and "I'll take an island" by Yakko ;)

Mr Awesomer

#5 Post by Mr Awesomer » Fri Apr 18, 2003 11:14 am

Now that we've got more members in the house, I thought I'd bump this topic back to the top. How 'bout them theme songs people?
Reuben Brown
Southern California

smunky

theme song

#6 Post by smunky » Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:00 pm

not that i play this song so much, but when i do, there is no question who is dj'ing: the sanford and son theme by quincy jones (yeah, we are a little funky here in st. louis)

oh, and the floor doesn't clear either.

that being said, i realize from most of the posts here that many of the dj's play a more classic swing assortment than i ever have, and hope i don't get labeled an idiot (a freak label is ok, though).

cybermaximus

#7 Post by cybermaximus » Fri Apr 18, 2003 5:46 pm

Out here we usually split sets, and I go from 10:30-12:30ish whenever I DJ. Usually the girl who DJs before me insists on closing out with Susie Arioli's version of "Pennies from Heaven" which is nice but puts everyone to sleep (seriously). So as my opener I usually play "Little Shack" by the Dusty 45's... that gets the adrenaline going and the energy out of sleepy land.

Max

Drew

#8 Post by Drew » Sun Apr 20, 2003 2:18 am

"One More Once" by Basie & Duke was one I would often start sets off with for a while. In spite of its high treble intro, I loved how hard-hitting it was.

If I have ever had a theme song, it would be anything with a Lester Young solo.

BryanC

#9 Post by BryanC » Sun Apr 20, 2003 8:53 am

I don't think I have a theme song, but I have been known to play the Sesame Street song, "Fuzzy and Blue". Otherwise, the Yalloppin' Hounds', "Oops, my bad" comes up a little more often than normal.

SpuzBal

#10 Post by SpuzBal » Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:46 pm

Probably Ellington's "Jungle Nights in Harlem." That's been my favorite song (even just from a listening perspective) for quite a while. For some reason, though, now that I think about it, I hardly ever play it. Go figure.
"In my opinion, out of the ten great guitarists in the world, Django is five of them!" - Rex Stewart

Lawrence

#11 Post by Lawrence » Sun Apr 20, 2003 8:19 pm

Peter Gunn Theme 8)
Last edited by Lawrence on Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

yedancer

#12 Post by yedancer » Sun Apr 20, 2003 11:43 pm

Lawrence wrote:Peter Gunn Theme 8) :P
HAHAHAHA!
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

shortyjul

#13 Post by shortyjul » Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:13 am

"Last Call for Alcohol" Hot Lips Page - sooooo cheesy and loud and weird but fucking kicks ass - like me.

swingman dan

Signaiture Song

#14 Post by swingman dan » Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:30 am

I usually play "Castle Rock" - Johnny Hodges when I begin my sets ... lets everyone know who's on now. It's my signature song. There's no story behind it, it's just a good song to start a night out with.
Walking the fine line between passion and obsession.

djstarr

Ernestine Anderson

#15 Post by djstarr » Tue May 20, 2003 12:47 pm

I'm just starting to DJ regularly; my "anthem" is 'I love being here with you' - Ernestine Anderson, The Concord Jazz Heritage Series.

A guy who used to DJ in Seattle when I was first learning to Lindy (Ben Solomon) played this all the time, and I did my first birthday dance to this song.

Ernestine lives in Seattle and goes to my church (can you say "name drop"); she also played a lot in town when I was in college, so I have some personal attachments to her.

Unfortunately, I worry a little that I will overplay this song. But there are a couple of other tracks of hers that get everybody up dancing also!

Brenda