Scott Hamilton makes me happy

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

KevinSchaper

Scott Hamilton makes me happy

#1 Post by KevinSchaper » Mon Dec 02, 2002 2:13 pm

I'm pretty sure the first recording I picked up with him was some Rosemary Clooney on Concord, and since I've been picking up stuff under his name, and it's all great. The Concord 'best of'ish disc for him is especially nice, though, the songs are on the long side, and since they're small groups, not so really condusive to, eh, post-production. (to be euphemistic about editing)

I know he gets compared to everyone, and but what comes to mind when I hear him solo is Gonsolves's wailing interval - where it's just one solid, clear riff after another, and he never seems to run out.. rather than the usual modern arbitrary academic noodling, it's stuff you can really work with on the dance floor.

Lawrence

#2 Post by Lawrence » Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:34 pm

I just picked some Scott Hamilton up the other day, and then I log on here and see this post. Amazing synchronicity out there.

In scouring used CD bins, I have heard some awful, ultra-fusion, modern-jazz stuff that Scott Hamilton has recorded. But I just bought his Tribute to Duke CD, and it has some great songs for dancing.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Yakov

#3 Post by Yakov » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:20 am

I saw Scott Hamilton mentioned in the 50's thread -- which has gotten way too complicated for me to be able to follow -- any Hamilton fans want to weigh in with CD recommendations over heah?

Jerry_Jelinek

#4 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:52 pm

Scott Hamilton is a MAJOR reason the swing style had a resurgance in the 1970s. He is not only a GREAT player, he is a very humble guy. I've had the good fortune to see him many times live. He is just great live.

Anyway, here are the CDs I have with Scott:

"Take 8" - Concord All Stars 1988 - Concord CCD-4347 Has a great swinging style. Has Ed Bickert - guitar, Dan Barrett - trombone, Red Holloway-alto sax, Dave McKenna-piano, Jimmie Smith-drums, Warren Vache-cornet, Steve Wallace on bass. Has 9 tracks Scott is on 4 tracks including 1 feature for Scott in a latin style (Have You met Miss Jones?)

"From the Beginning" - First 2 LPs for Scott on 2 CDs - From 1977 and 1978. Constant rhythm section of Nat Pierce-piano, Monty Budwig-bass, Jake Hanna-drums. On 1 CD Bill Berry-trumpet is featured. On the other CD the great Cal Collins-guitar is featured. Great stuff. Concord CCD2-2117-2

"A First - Ruby Braff and Scott Hamilton" - Nice pairing of the cornet master with Scott. Rhythm section of John Bunch-piano, Phil Flanigan-bass, Chris Flory-guitar, Chuck Riggs-drums Concord CCD 4274

Also Scott is featured with Rosemary Clooney on her last 20 years of Concord recordings.

His style hasn't varied on his 25 years of recordings. But that is a GOOD thing for swing and classic jazz fans.

Also don't miss him when he comes through your town. I can listen to him play all day and night!!!

julius

#5 Post by julius » Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:16 pm

Allen Hall (of Rudy and Allen) recommended to me "The Second Set" and "Groovin' High", the second of which has Ken Peplowski on tenor as well. I've been trying to get both albums (in a lackadaisical way) for a while, which means I look in the Amoeba bin occasionally.

Allen did admit that he buys music for listening to, not dancing, so ...

djstarr

#6 Post by djstarr » Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:55 pm

Kevin T played some Maxine Sullivan/Scott Hamilton - it was great to dance to - I think he got it from Kevin S? Don't know what the CD is called though, but it looks like someone good to start collecting.

Ron

#7 Post by Ron » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:32 pm

Wow, I have a Maxine Sullivan/Scott Hamilton CD that I disliked. Swingin Sweet from 1988, I believe. I didn't find anything worth playing.

Jerry_Jelinek

#8 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:12 pm

Ron wrote:Wow, I have a Maxine Sullivan/Scott Hamilton CD that I disliked. Swingin Sweet from 1988, I believe. I didn't find anything worth playing.
Ron, Do you want to find that CD a good home?

I'd be interested in that.

Let me knwo.

KevinSchaper

#9 Post by KevinSchaper » Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:31 pm

Ron wrote:Wow, I have a Maxine Sullivan/Scott Hamilton CD that I disliked. Swingin Sweet from 1988, I believe. I didn't find anything worth playing.
That's the one.. go back and listen to Loch Lomond, the bagpippy sounding intro is a little unusual, but it's a great tune.

Not that it's a thread for her, but another good Maxine Sullivan disc is the one she did with Bob Wilber in '69. (Close as Pages in a Book, I think)

Shorty Dave

Re: Scott Hamilton makes me happy

#10 Post by Shorty Dave » Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:47 pm

KevinSchaper wrote:The Concord 'best of'ish disc for him is especially nice, though, the songs are on the long side, and since they're small groups, not so really condusive to, eh, post-production. (to be euphemistic about editing)
Amen! I love that Concord CD and dug a ton of tunes for dancing but remember all of them being long. But I haven't really listened to it in a couple years - back when I thought 4:30 was a long song - and know that I'm not adverse to 6 minute songs when the timing's right, I may check it out again!

I too like Loch Lomond from "Swingin' Sweet"; the rest of the cd is good, but I find there are other versions out there of the danceable songs from that cd I'd rather play.

(In living up to my reputation) I guess I'd be remiss if at this point I didn't give a *huge* two thumbs up for The Gene Harris / Scott Hamilton Quintet "At Last". That was actually one of the first Gene Harris cds I ever got and still one of my favs. The whole cd swings beautifully at all tempos, but unfortunately, like the greatest hits, the "danceable tempo" songs are on the longer side. That still doesn't prevent me from playing "You Are My Sunshine", "Blues for Gene" or "Sittin' in the Sandtrap" every now and then.

main_stem

#11 Post by main_stem » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:19 am

Just more proof that you have no taste Ron. :P Seriously though you should give the disc another try. If you still don't find anything worth playing worth playing I'll buy you a beer.

-Kevin
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

Ron

#12 Post by Ron » Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:35 am

Well, now I'll have to check it out again for sure! It wouldn't be the first time I found something "new" on a CD I've owned for years.

sonofvu

#13 Post by sonofvu » Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:49 am

Ron wrote:Well, now I'll have to check it out again for sure! It wouldn't be the first time I found something "new" on a CD I've owned for years.
And if you still don't like it I'll buy it from you.
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.

Ron

#14 Post by Ron » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:18 pm

KevinSchaper wrote:
That's the one.. go back and listen to Loch Lomond, the bagpippy sounding intro is a little unusual, but it's a great tune.

Not that it's a thread for her, but another good Maxine Sullivan disc is the one she did with Bob Wilber in '69. (Close as Pages in a Book, I think)
OK, I dug it out from the box in the garage and I'm giving it another listen as I speak. "Loch Lomond" is OK, I'll play it sometime, and I'll dedicate it to the Kevins. But I think I'll edit out that intro, come in at :44 or so. But I still think its only OK.

But really, its not a great CD overall. She's 75 and has very little voice left and you can hear it. She doesn't sustain any notes. She's straining to hit the notes even, you can hear the strain. Compare it to how she sings on Tribute to Andy Razaf CD, which is an awesome CD and on my Essential CD list on my site. She can hit and sustain notes on that CD. Also, on Swinging Sweet, the sound is echoey to the point of emptiness, and just in general, the songs lack energy. I get no energy from the rhythm section. And it really sounds like an old person singing. I never get that feeling from Barbara Morrison! And Scott Hamilton? I can barely hear him, and his few solos don't sound that spectacular to me. Listen to her sing "As Long as I Live" and compare it to Ella Fitzgerald's classic version! Oh My God! Anyway, yes I'd sell this to the highest bidder, except its too much hassle to package up.

http://home.san.rr.com/zorrilla/Loch%20 ... cerpt).mp3
http://home.san.rr.com/zorrilla/I'm%20C ... )(exc).mp3