Madeleine Peyroux

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

djstarr

Madeleine Peyroux

#1 Post by djstarr » Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:52 pm

Both the jazz station I listen to here (KPLU) and the soft rock/pop station (KMTT the Mountain) have been playing tracks from Careless Love. her latest album, pretty much non-stop for the last month or so.

Anybody have it and spun it for dances? She sounds so much like Billie Holiday that it makes me want to listen to Billie more, however I'm thinking about getting the album to DJ from.

Swifty

#2 Post by Swifty » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:33 pm

Mike has gotten a good response playing "Don't Wait Too Long" at after-hours events.

I heard she's roommates with Tomo from NYC.

Utah_Nate

#3 Post by Utah_Nate » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:51 am

I love Madeleine Peyroux!!!! I have had her albums for a few months now, and I have played her music at some of my dances. I am pretty fond of Dance Me To The End Of Love. It gets a good response on the floor.

CafeSavoy

Re: Madeleine Peyroux

#4 Post by CafeSavoy » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:26 am

djstarr wrote: Anybody have it and spun it for dances? She sounds so much like Billie Holiday that it makes me want to listen to Billie more, however I'm thinking about getting the album to DJ from.
Her first album is worth getting too. It has a good version of "getting some fun out of live" and of "i'm gonna sit down and write myself a letter."

shortyjul

#5 Post by shortyjul » Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:10 pm

i have both cds - i don't use either for djing, but i love her version of "i wish i could shimmy like my sister kate" from montreal jazz festival. totally fun to dance to.

mousethief

#6 Post by mousethief » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:17 am

I got her newest album - I like it. Not sure if I would ever DJ anything on it, though.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

gatorgal

#7 Post by gatorgal » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:20 am

I'm eager to get both CDs after a friend bought one of them in Toronto. I would definitely spin it at a dance.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

djstarr

#8 Post by djstarr » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:02 pm

thanks for the feedback. Bought both CDs last night. I'm dj'ing a late night set at SONW so I probably will end up using some stuff off of one or the other of the albums.

LindyChef

#9 Post by LindyChef » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:45 pm

Tell me how they go over, Brenda ... I've been eyeing these CDs for a while.

jacques_g

#10 Post by jacques_g » Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:44 pm

I have 2 of her songs from a Montreal Jazz Festival compilation album. These are sold at the Jazz fest to help support the event.

The songs I have are:

"You're a Viper" and "I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself A Letter"

I've heard one other DJ use her songs at dances.

gatorgal

#11 Post by gatorgal » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:32 pm

LindyChef wrote:Tell me how they go over, Brenda ... I've been eyeing these CDs for a while.
Ditto... please keep us posted!

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

tomobeans

#12 Post by tomobeans » Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:52 pm

i use Shimmy like Sister Kate a lot and lots of people seem to like it (to dance to).
another song i use a lot is Lounging at the Waldorf on Ron Sunshine's CD "Straight Up". Madeleine and Ron are singing together and really fun to dance to. i think you can listen to it on ronsunshine.com if you are interested...

i have both of Madeleine's CDs and i LOVE them both. :D

djstarr

#13 Post by djstarr » Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:00 pm

I've dj'ed three songs from the new album:
'Dance me to the end of love'
'Don't Wait too long'
'Careless Love'

They all went over well at SONW; Frankie and his girlfriend danced to Careless Love and had a good time - it has that twangy country crossover feel to it; but it makes you want to dance.

I like the first album less, and "I'm going to sit write down and write myself a letter" is probably the worst recording of that song I have heard since I'm used to hearing a very upbeat Chicago style rendition of it. But the blues songs on the first album are nice.

I definitely recommend getting the recent album; there are some slower songs on there that will probably work for dances also.

JesseMiner

#14 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:18 pm

tomobeans wrote:another song i use a lot is Lounging at the Waldorf on Ron Sunshine's CD "Straight Up". Madeleine and Ron are singing together and really fun to dance to.
Great song! I play this one all the time. Thanks for mentioning it. I'll definitely have to pick up some of Madeleine's solo material when I get the chance.

Jesse

hep2hop

#15 Post by hep2hop » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:34 am

I have been regularly playing those same songs from the new album, and they have definitely gone over well. I also didn't like her first album as much. I'll have to check out the Ron Sunshine CD too, thanks for the tip!

Chris