Sweet and Hot

What's happening?

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Charleston Charlie

Sweet and Hot

#1 Post by Charleston Charlie » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:27 am

Greets, gates and DJ's!

Just a shameless bit of self- promotion, here!

I have a show on altrenating Tuesday am's here in Vancouver- it's called "Sweet and Hot". I play jazz, swing, popular and world music from the 20's, 30's and '40's. It plays from 08:00-09:30 pacific time.

My next show is Dec. 21st. I will be doing a feature on Noble Sissle.

You can tune in on the web at www.citr.ca and click the LISTEN LIVE link. (Realplayer req'd).

Your feedback and suggestions are most welcome.
"‘Swing’ is an adjective or a verb, not a noun. All jazz musicians should swing. There is no such thing as a ’swing band’ in music.”-
Artie Shaw

Matthew

#2 Post by Matthew » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:55 am

Man, that looks like a cool show (and station). Just curious - how did you get the show, and how long have you been doing it? Thanks.

Charleston Charlie

#3 Post by Charleston Charlie » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:59 am

The University of British Columbia Student Radio Society has been around since the '30s, and I knew about them back in my punk rock days- they played non-commercial rock (now known as indie) and other cool stuff, and they still do.

Being non-profit makes it way easier to do a better show- I don't have to pander to market-driven forces: i.e no ratings meetings with the marketing directors. So now "In The Mood", etc. etc.

Musically, I have been collecting 78s on and off for about 15 years. I have swing dj-ed around Vancouver for about four years or so. My dad is a WW2 veteran and as a kid I used to listen to his records, too.

I have a good friend Gary - who does the 40's/50's show 'On The Air With Greased Hair' and we talked about my doing a show for almost a year before I actually motivated myself enough to do a demo for the station manager and hand it in to him. Bryce liked the demo, and after a few training sessions, I was in. The gang at the station love the show, and the guys in the sports dept. turn down the sound of the TV in the Sports Dept. office when my show is on.

I told my station manager that the format would evolve- I didn't want it to be purely swing or jazz, and I have to do a certain percentage of Canadian content, which is a challenge. Hopefully whithin a few months I will get a weekly time slot, but it's a question of 'dead man's boots' on that one.

The show has been running for about three months now, and response has been very good so far.
"‘Swing’ is an adjective or a verb, not a noun. All jazz musicians should swing. There is no such thing as a ’swing band’ in music.”-
Artie Shaw

djstarr

#4 Post by djstarr » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:24 pm

Charleston Charlie wrote:I told my station manager that the format would evolve- I didn't want it to be purely swing or jazz, and I have to do a certain percentage of Canadian content, which is a challenge.
If the format changes enough you can always play some Oscar Peterson ;-0

Just kidding Charles....

I've had the pleasure of splitting some sets up in Vancouver with Charles over the past couple of months and he has some great material, so check it out if you can listen in via the web.

CafeSavoy

#5 Post by CafeSavoy » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:58 pm

djstarr wrote: If the format changes enough you can always play some Oscar Peterson ;-0

Just kidding Charles.....
There is the Complete Young Oscar Peterson that features canadian musicians:
These initial early studio tracks by pianist Oscar Peterson were recorded in Montréal from 1945 to 1949. Peterson is featured mainly with a trio (occasionally replacing drums with guitar) and a quartet on four tracks. The two discs feature chronological sessions, finding Peterson forming his own identity, although still under the influence of Teddy Wilson and Art Tatum. All 32 tracks were originally recorded for Victor, with an emphasis on standards, boogie-woogie, and blues played with a rotating rhythm section of Canadian musicians.

Charleston Charlie

#6 Post by Charleston Charlie » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:36 am

Just kidding Charles....

I've had the pleasure of splitting some sets up in Vancouver with Charles over the past couple of months and he has some great material
You're too kind....

As far as Oscar Peterson is concerned- He is a great Canadian musician, he sort of makes up for Brian, Celine, Anne and Alanis... oops! did I say that out loud?

The beaurocrats in Ottawa decree that all Canadian radio stations MUST play a certain percentage of "Canadian Content"- meaning, music written, or preformed by a Canadian artist. Unfortunately for me, the Canadian recording industry did not survive the depression- most indigenous labels died around 1932 or so- but fortunately some Canadian songwriters and preformers did. One of the most popular pop/dance band of the 20's/30's (Guy Lombardo) did. Some early Lombardo isn't bad, but then again- my self-imposed mandate is for popular music of the era(s) as well, and Guy was HUGE. This week I will chip in some Charles Dornberger (Montreal), who recorded a little, his band cooked!

My cut-off date is 1947. It seems a tad arbitrary, but it's just that the jazz is by then moving into bop, and R & B records are appearing, and things evolve pretty quickly from there. I may venture a little into early bop, but I have to be careful not to try to spread myself too thin. Part of it is, early bop and other artists that rise to prominence in the late '40s already get much airplay- I am trying to turn the spotlight on to the forgotten masters- think of it as Ethel Waters, Bennie Moten and Bix Beiderbecke rather than Billie Holiday, Charlie Parker and Chet Baker.

I am ULTRA excited about my last shipment of CD's which includes some WICKED Cuban music from the '30s! Viva Ernesto Lecuarno!

I will also have interviews with surviving artists of the era- I know of one who has agreed to do a show, though Artie Shaw is proving more of a challenge. I also have a line on three of the surviving members of a famous all-female swing band of some repute
Artie Shaw

Swifty

#7 Post by Swifty » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:53 am

I don't know if you've seen it but you might find the Canadian Big Bands Database helpful.

Also check out stuff on the Sackville label, all of the albums I've got on it were recorded in Canada.

Charleston Charlie

#8 Post by Charleston Charlie » Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:33 am

I refer to the BBD for alot of info, material, etc. etc. The red hot jazz archive is invaluable. http://www.redhotjazz.com/

I also reccomend Glen Richards' website http://www.2multiples.com/hotdance/index.htm

He regularly updates his site- free downloads of hot dance stuff as well. There was another site that I found loads of free downloads, but he is down for the moment. I will repost it when he comes back up again.
Artie Shaw

Charleston Charlie

#9 Post by Charleston Charlie » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:29 pm

Greets, fellow dj.'s. My next show will be on Jan. 4th, 2005. It will be a tribute to the late, great Artie Shaw.

Artie Shaw

Charleston Charlie

#10 Post by Charleston Charlie » Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:01 pm

Greetings, DJ's and music lovers!

Sweet & Hot will soon be a weekly show, starting Thursday, February 3rd -and there will be a new airtime: 10:00 - 11:30 am. I will have two more

Tuesday morning shows:

January 18th
February 1st - 8:00-9:30 am

My next show's feature will be on Rex Stewart.

I hope that you can all tune in!

www.citr.ca
Artie Shaw

Charleston Charlie

Jazz and Swing Radio Program in Vancouver, BC

#11 Post by Charleston Charlie » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:50 pm

Greetings, gates, rugcutters and DJ's!

Starting February 3rd, Sweet & Hot will be on the air every week, and at a new time: 10:00 - 11:30 am every Thursday! And - (I am very excited about this!) CITR 101.9 FM HAS A POWERFUL NEW TRANSMITTER!- you will soon be able to catch the show as far out as Langley and Bellingham, and reception in the greater Vancouver area will be much improved!

For those outside of the lower mainland and Bellingham WA, go to www.citr.ca and follow the LISTEN LIVE link to tune in. Your feedback and suggestions are most welcome.

February is black history month, and to celebrate, the featured artists this coming month will be:

February 1st: Chick Webb (please note : this show will be at the old time: 08:00 - 9:30 am)
February 3rd : Valaida Snow (the first Thursday 10:-11:30 show)
February 10th: Mary Lou Williams
February 17th: Duke Ellington (part 1) 1927- 1936
February 24th: Duke Ellington (part 2) 1937- 1944
Artie Shaw