Till Tom Special

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Ron

Till Tom Special

#1 Post by Ron » Sun May 04, 2003 10:08 pm

I've always liked the song "Till Tom Special" written by Goodman/Hampton. I first heard it played by this small group who played on Monday nights at this tiny bar in Chicago 6 yrs ago. Back then I was annoyed because I thought it was too fast and it had such an annoyingly abrupt ending. But the melody still compelled my attention and it has since really grown on me over the years. Something about that minor key riff at the beginning, and the middle/ending riff. The whole chord progression just kicks butt and gives so much for the soloists to work with. Anyone know the chord progression on guitar? This is one of the songs that I like to listen to much more than I like to Lindy to, but I'm sure others have differing opinions.

So what are your favorite versions of this song, and do you think its good for dancing?

My favorite versions so far are:
1. Dave Davies and Hotfoot Club (176) from 3 x 5 - Tight, nice clarinet solos and its all in sweet hi-fi. Definitely more "pop" sounding.
2. Lionel Hampton (158) from Tempo & Swing - Doesn't start with the guitar/clarinet in unison like the others, but its still good. Hamps vibraphone solo is sweet, as is Ziggy Elman's solos on the muted trumpet.
3. Benny Goodman & Charlie Christian (173) from Genius of the Electric Guitar - I suppose this is the original? Small group. Goodman & Christian are just plain sweet. Great piano, too.

SpuzBal

#2 Post by SpuzBal » Mon May 05, 2003 12:07 am

The Hot Club of San Francisco has a good version on their CD "Claire de Lune."
"In my opinion, out of the ten great guitarists in the world, Django is five of them!" - Rex Stewart

CafeSavoy

#3 Post by CafeSavoy » Mon May 05, 2003 1:10 am

i like the dave davies version too. peter davies has a nice version too. of the benny goodmans, i like the charlie christian versions. The Hampton is like a standard.

i haven't heard this, but I saw John Bunch in NYC, so i'd like to get it.
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... 8zefbkogfn

main_stem

#4 Post by main_stem » Tue May 06, 2003 8:11 am

I only play the Charlie Christian version.

Interesting note their is dispute over who actually wrote the song. While it credits Goodman/Hampton, it's believed that Christian is the true author. Mary Lou Williams said that when she first heard Christian he was jamming a bunch of stuff that later become records under Goodman/Hampton. Another of these tunes is Flying Home. Goodman later on even says that he doubted he had any part in writing any of the tunes. His name was just added since it was his group. (Common Practice in those days)

-Kevin
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

SirScratchAlot

#5 Post by SirScratchAlot » Wed May 07, 2003 12:59 am

main_stem wrote:I only play the Charlie Christian version.

Interesting note their is dispute over who actually wrote the song. While it credits Goodman/Hampton, it's believed that Christian is the true author. Mary Lou Williams said that when she first heard Christian he was jamming a bunch of stuff that later become records under Goodman/Hampton. Another of these tunes is Flying Home. Goodman later on even says that he doubted he had any part in writing any of the tunes. His name was just added since it was his group. (Common Practice in those days)

-Kevin
Thats what I've read as well....Christian did alot of that stuff, Till Tom special sounds like a Christian song to me personally, but him and Hamp and a very simular ear...

Roy

#6 Post by Roy » Thu May 08, 2003 8:55 am

I agree the Charlie Christian version is my favorite.

SirScratchAlot

#7 Post by SirScratchAlot » Mon May 12, 2003 3:21 am

I put the origin of the song title under the new thread, song titles...
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

Drew

#8 Post by Drew » Tue May 13, 2003 12:15 am

Goodman and Christian do the best, without a doubt.

Ron

#9 Post by Ron » Tue May 13, 2003 10:14 am

I'm surprised more people didn't applaud the Dave Davies/Hotfood Club version of Till Tom.

Is it because you genuinely think the musicality isn't as good?

Swifty

#10 Post by Swifty » Tue May 13, 2003 11:25 am

I'm always suprised that people outside of the Northeast have even heard of Dave Davies.

For what it's worth, I really like their version.

Greg Avakian

#11 Post by Greg Avakian » Fri May 16, 2003 6:35 am

I like Dave Davies version, but I think Peter Davis is my favorite. I have Christian/Goodman "cartoon" version and I play that one a lot. I think the song is a little overplayed which is one reason I don't like to play the "serious" Christian/Goodman version.

Mr Awesomer

#12 Post by Mr Awesomer » Fri May 16, 2003 12:33 pm

I don't believe I've heard "Till Tom Special," or anything sounding remotely like it in any cartoon I've seen.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Greg Avakian

#13 Post by Greg Avakian » Fri May 16, 2003 1:06 pm

GuruReuben wrote:I don't believe I've heard "Till Tom Special," or anything sounding remotely like it in any cartoon I've seen.
Go ahead and nail me ...I was thinking of "All the cats join in" :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Mr Awesomer

#14 Post by Mr Awesomer » Fri May 16, 2003 1:21 pm

I'm thinking of the many Warner Brothers, Tom and Jerry, Tex Avery, Disney shorts, etc etc type cartoon music. "All the Cats" is a note able exception, as are maybe a couple of other toons... but it's hardly what you'd typically hear backing up a cartoon of that day.

Raymond Scott... now there's some cartoon music. Benny Goodman... one in a thousand?
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Greg Avakian

#15 Post by Greg Avakian » Fri May 16, 2003 1:26 pm

GuruReuben wrote: Raymond Scott... now there's some cartoon music.
He was interveiwed on NPR last year, or maybe two years ago ...very cool guy. There's a CD of his music put out around then too.