How much do you get paid?

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

How much do you get paid for DJing at an average swing dance event?

I do it for free, or for free entrance to the club
37%
I dj in trade for lessons or other services
3%
<$10/hr
5%
$10-$20/hr
16%
$20-$30/hr
16%
$30-$40/hr
5%
>$40/hr
8%
I dj as part of providing another service, so its hard to say
11%

Total votes: 38

Ron

How much do you get paid?

#1 Post by Ron » Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:52 am

This topic seems to come up periodically, and as I recall, the answers are quite diverse.

Feel free to comment on your answer.

If you usually get transportation costs paid often, just estimate what the equivalent average per hour rate would be.

I know some people often dj weddings, but I think they shouldn't be included unless you can really call them a "swing event".

Ron

#2 Post by Ron » Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:59 am

I personally get paid something like $13/hr on average. Whether that works out to be a net profit in my life is unknown, because I spend a ton of money on CDs. I'm not keen on djing for free.

Mr Awesomer

#3 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:41 pm

There are to many variables to say how much I get paid.

I've spun for free for the right event/people.

I've spun for tattoo work.

I've spun for booze.

I've spun for food.

I've spun for loosing a bet.

I've spun for free entry.

I've spun for air fair.

I've spun for a hotel room.

I've spun for percentages.

I've spun for a little cash.

I've spun for a ton of cash.

I've spun for a of combination of some of the above.

It all depends. It all depends... but one thing remains constant, the less I want to do something, the more expensive I get.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

GemZombie

#4 Post by GemZombie » Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:35 pm

I've only gotten paid to DJ twice. I would have done both for free, but there were situations where I really did need to get reimbursed.

Once was in LA, where I had to drive 4 hours to get there, and 4 hours back... the same night. So after gas, food, and where in tear, I probably broke even.

The other time I hauled equipment around and set it all up myself. I took payment, and they payed me generously (it was for a teen dance)... I almost felt guilty, as I did make out very well that night.

All other events I've DJ'd for have been for free, or for admission into an event. I DJ a weekly event in SLO that costs *me* money to do, since I have to pay a babysitter once a week in order to do it. I'd probably do that if I wasn't DJing anyway, so it's a wash.

I've done other things for swing related events (websites and such), that i've gotten paid for, but for those things I don't charge full price for my services, as I consider it a hobby... making a hobby "work" just makes it not fun.

yedancer

#5 Post by yedancer » Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:16 pm

I don't expect to get paid, but it sure is nice. Especially at local venues. It makes sense to the venue organizer, because I can only really afford to buy new CDs with the money I get from DJing. I once got paid to DJ at a venue in LA. Unfortunately, I wasn't even paid enough to cover what I payed in gas to get up there.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Nate Dogg

#6 Post by Nate Dogg » Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:19 am

We just started paying DJs at the Syndicate dances in Austin. It tooks years to get this approved. We finally got a Board that would go for it again (there was a brief three month experiment with DJ compensation a few years back).

We get paid in half.com gift certificates. This makes people feel comfortable that the DJs will spend the money on music. If a DJ is expected to do non-DJ work (Like tear down), he or she gets paid cash for that work.

Mr Awesomer

#7 Post by Mr Awesomer » Fri Apr 18, 2003 11:13 am

HAHAHA... it's like you got a freakin' food stamp program going on. That's nearly insulting... wait... that IS insulting.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Nate Dogg

#8 Post by Nate Dogg » Fri Apr 18, 2003 11:29 am

Yes, the whole "DJs can't be trusted with money" viewpoint is out there with some people.

Ideally, DJs would get paid in cash. But, some of the powers that be in Austin have traditionally been hesitant to pay the DJs at all. Last year, I tried to get a DJ compensation plan through and it failed. This year, at least the DJs got something.

Nathan
GuruReuben wrote:HAHAHA... it's like you got a freakin' food stamp program going on. That's nearly insulting... wait... that IS insulting.

JesseMiner

#9 Post by JesseMiner » Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:37 pm

GuruReuben wrote:one thing remains constant, the less I want to do something, the more expensive I get.
Isn't that the truth! ;)

In general though...

If an event is being run for profit, I believe the DJ should most definitely get paid. We put a lot of work/time/money into building our collections and develop our skills, so our time deserves compensation, just like any other hired entertainment. Would someone ever think of not paying a band that came in and played for an evening?

DJs often get taken for granted or taken advantage of, often unintentionally, as we can be just seen as fellow dancers with great music collections. We are part of this swing community because of our love of the dance and the music (I would assume this is the case for most of us). Most people I run into in the scene are quite giving, often providing their services for little or no compensation. I'm no exception to this. I will often donate my time to DJ when there is no profit to be made. I do so because I am passionate about what I do and love to share it with others and help out others with their endeavors. This is fine as long as everyone is just donating their time and effort to create something great. Once you step into a for-profit situation, the DJ should be fairly compensated.

So go with what you feel comfortable with. Demand what you think you're worth or what the event can offer and you can deal with.

Of course "getting paid" vs. getting "expenses covered" is a whole other discussion. I'll comment on that in the exchange thread.

Jesse

morte100

Mo money

#10 Post by morte100 » Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:51 pm

I've rarely been paid actual cashola to dj, but I would really be put off if I had to pay to get into a venue where I was expected to DJ.

On the other hand, I've recently started a weekly dance in Tacoma, and my partner and I decided that we would never have free DJ's EVER. If they're good enough that we want to hear them, they're good enough to be compensated something for their time and significant efforts.

As it is, we don't make a great deal of profit at our dance, and we don't expect that we ever will (due in part to the expense of our venue). We are paying $10/hr to the local DJ's who've come out so far.

Lawrence

#11 Post by Lawrence » Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:01 pm

It's going to be difficult to get a consistent answer out of any of us because most of us do it as a hobby, not a profession. Many professional DJs have set rates, but we don't because it is mostly a hobby.

I have been paid $600 plus a banquet meal for a brief evening mostly DJing the music that THEY provided :shock: , and I have DJ'ed for free, and all points in between, including comped admission. I have DJed for free solely to promote my own gigs. I also have proactively ASKED (and even hassled) venue owners to allow me to DJ for free so that we have something good to dance to between sets at a live music show. Again, my interest is just in helping to keep people moving and spread my enthusiasm for the music/dance/fun.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

scratchy

#12 Post by scratchy » Sun Apr 27, 2003 4:45 am

I agree with pretty much everybody.

I also think it depends on the event or club. if it's a club thats run by a friend you want to help, then free or whatever they want to shell out. If it's a Big westy event that wants to attract Lindy Hoppers then I'd charge atleast the same or more as they are paying the westy Dj's .

In some case it's cool to give away work , but in others you want the same respect that other get.

as for larger Lindy events , everything should be covered all travel,event pass and room....for starters.

Greg Avakian

#13 Post by Greg Avakian » Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:13 am

How do you guys feel about flying to event as a bonus/convenience? I'm always happy when I don't have to drive, so I often think of airfare as part of my "payment".

If a DJ is local, should they get the same total cash value as the person who flies in? For example, if I fly DJ X in to New York from California for $250, should I pay the local NY DJ $250 as well?

I have an upcoming event where I could either drive 6.5 hours each way or get flown in and get a rental car. I doubt the event director would pay me $450 cash if I drove, so am I copping out by accepting less cash but easier travel? I'm just asking; I feel fine about my choice)

Does travel then become part of being paid or is it still "just expenses"? Another advantage to flying is that I will go to a city where I have another DJ gig that will pay me cash; in my mind, I connect the two as part of a DJing trip rather than spinning two events. This is the kind of stuff that makes it hard for me to figure out what I actually charge per hour...

SirScratchAlot

#14 Post by SirScratchAlot » Wed May 07, 2003 1:39 am

Greg Avakian wrote:How do you guys feel about flying to event as a bonus/convenience? I'm always happy when I don't have to drive, so I often think of airfare as part of my "payment".

If a DJ is local, should they get the same total cash value as the person who flies in? For example, if I fly DJ X in to New York from California for $250, should I pay the local NY DJ $250 as well?

I have an upcoming event where I could either drive 6.5 hours each way or get flown in and get a rental car. I doubt the event director would pay me $450 cash if I drove, so am I copping out by accepting less cash but easier travel? I'm just asking; I feel fine about my choice)

Does travel then become part of being paid or is it still "just expenses"? Another advantage to flying is that I will go to a city where I have another DJ gig that will pay me cash; in my mind, I connect the two as part of a DJing trip rather than spinning two events. This is the kind of stuff that makes it hard for me to figure out what I actually charge per hour...
I think Travel is part of Expenses for one thing, and No DJ's are really alike, the same goes with Instructors , performances etc...Some DJ's are lucky enough to get a chance to do it for free or for gas money, others will get a paid a couple hundred bucks as well as the all expenses paid.

Big Mama Rockstar

#15 Post by Big Mama Rockstar » Tue May 13, 2003 4:24 pm

from my short but full experience in this matter I :

DJ for free if it is for a "promote swing have fun non profit " kinda thing ( ie the university club night) but I expect expenses covered such as parking if that's neccassary(oops) and not to pay to get in. We're trying to set some kind of standard to show guest teachers /DJs that are here that we appreciate them by covering there cost and then giving them something for doing it if they aggreed to do it for free. Like we'll buy them some drinks or dinner depending on where the venue is.

Ihave been asked to DJ an event that was non profit not really swing related though... my time was free but I asked the cover the cost of equipment . i currently can't afford my own stuff so rentals are my friend.

if it were for another group like the westies..if they ever asked but I doubt they will since they are so pure westie it's silly and have a regular DJ no exceptions. I'd feel compensaton was fare since I wasn't planning on going to there venue typically and I have to pay a babysitter too.

i'll put to you in terms of my accountant.

your time is valuable. you spend your money doing this. It is Ridiculous that you would not make any money in return to at least cover what you spend.

now that said I should really mention I do 99% free:)
but I think my accountants statement applies to many of you.

t
"Mush damn you MUSH!" " oh no it's the Balboa NAZI!"