"Poor"/"Mediocre" DJing at Basie100 Week

What's happening?

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Nate Dogg

#16 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:57 pm

At this stage, after reading so many negative threads about so many events/DJs/Bands/etc..., I would take anything you read with a grain of salt. That goes for Yehoodi, this board, and the local one in your scene.

Remember that the percentage of people who actually view or post on any given forum is always going to be low in relation to the population it serves. Let people debate to their heart's content. At the end of the day, it won't mean as much as they think it does. The vast majority of people who attended the Basie 100 will never read the Yehoodi thread. That majority was probably happy to attend the event and they don't have the inclination or time to read Yehoodi threads. At times, I often think I might be a happier person if I joined them. Only use web forums for positive purposes and run for the hills when the negative energy heats up. Why get upset about some meaningless nonsense.

My opinion as an attendee was that the people I saw seemed to be having a good time, it was not a situation where the DJing was horrible and that everybody was preoccupied with a DJ quality problem. Maybe there were people who had such issues, but I never talked to them.

Call me jaded, I just can't find any reason why Shorty Dave or any of the DJs should give a flip about the Yehoodi thread.

Nathan

Swifty

#17 Post by Swifty » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:46 pm

I'm only interested because I see it as an opportunity to improve my DJing. Mostly I'd just like to know what people wanted to hear but didn't.

falty411

#18 Post by falty411 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:00 am

mousethief wrote:I didn't expect variety; I expected a lot of Basie.

Kalman
I expected a celebration of 100 years of Basie. It was more a celebration of the last 40 years.

I feel that tempos from DJs should more or less form a bell curve with the middle majority being medium tempos with few slow on one end of the spectrum and a few fast on the other end of the spectrum. This event I felt that the slow was in the middle majority and fast and medium were at the ends of the spectrums.

Also, I said what I got from the DJs was my perception. I definitly was not there for every single song of every single DJs sets. So what I posted on was my perception which could totally be different than fact.

I dont like posting this kind of stuff without solutions, so here is my solution, i think it is best when there are 2 DJs at once, maybe trading every 3 songs or so. And make sure you pick 2 DJs that balance each other out. That way, they can feed off of eachother and if they feel one side maybe isnt being represented as much, they can make a fast change, rather than an hour and a half long set of trying to make up for the previous DJs tastes.
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

falty411

#19 Post by falty411 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:03 am

Nate Dogg wrote:My opinion as an attendee was that the people I saw seemed to be having a good time, it was not a situation where the DJing was horrible and that everybody was preoccupied with a DJ quality problem. Maybe there were people who had such issues, but I never talked to them.
The event was so incredible and there were so many awesome people there that there were TONS of reasons for people to have a great time.
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

kbuxton

#20 Post by kbuxton » Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:02 pm

falty411 wrote:I feel that tempos from DJs should more or less form a bell curve with the middle majority being medium tempos with few slow on one end of the spectrum and a few fast on the other end of the spectrum. This event I felt that the slow was in the middle majority and fast and medium were at the ends of the spectrums.
I'm not sure any DJs would disagree with you on this statement. The problem lies in the fact that no two people are going to agree on the definitions of "slow", "medium" and "fast".

mousethief

#21 Post by mousethief » Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:17 pm

I don't know - slow, medium and fast are pretty fluid but still understandable. I've got to say I think Falty, Reuben and I can agree whether a tempo is fast or slow, though we might push the curve to one side or another over the course of a set.

Some DJs couldn't get any slower without sacrificing the swingout entirely.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Nate Dogg

#22 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:34 pm

Not really music related, but it happened during the Ball and it did make me think about my role as a DJ. Specifically, one of the facets of our job that we never talk about, our role as occasional default MC.

During the Saturday dance. It was striking how articulate Manu was with the microphone. When legendary guys like George Wein and George Avakian got to the microphone, you could sometimes hardly hear them. You would have thought the microphone was not working right. However, the minute Manu grabbed the mic and started talking, it was like night and day. The sound was more clear and much louder. Yet, it did not seem like he was shouting, he was just projecting better.

It made me want to start practicing my mic skills more. I have played with the idea having some sort of practice session/sessions with the local DJs to help us all get better. Right now, two of the Austin DJs have decent microphone skills, the rest of us could use some help.

Anyway, I probably should have started a new thread, but this was one of the things that really stuck in my mind from a DJ improvement standpoint.

Nathan

JesseMiner

#23 Post by JesseMiner » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:31 pm

Nate Dogg wrote:Anyway, I probably should have started a new thread, but this was one of the things that really stuck in my mind from a DJ improvement standpoint.
You are more than welcome to revive the Microphone skills thread.

Jesse

julius

#24 Post by julius » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:41 pm

The reason George Avakian could not be heard was that he was speaking into the side of a directional mike that was designed to reproduce sound best when you speak into the top of it.

Code: Select all

Manu
      |     |
      |     |  George
       \   /
        | |
        | |
        | |
Possibly he was just used to the condenser mics "back in the day", which you generally DO speak into the side of. I think.

Nate Dogg

#25 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:13 pm

JesseMiner wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote:Anyway, I probably should have started a new thread, but this was one of the things that really stuck in my mind from a DJ improvement standpoint.
You are more than welcome to revive the Microphone skills thread.

Jesse
Jesse:

As moderator, if you want to move my post and Julius' response to the other thread, go for it.

djstarr

#26 Post by djstarr » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:08 pm

The only sets I really noticed were on Sunday night since there was finally room to dance! I loved Ryan's set --- he played Moppin' and Boppin' and Blues my Naughty Sweetie gave to me and a bunch of stuff that wasn't direct Basie - I thought it fit the venue and it was a nice change of pace.

The guy who did the set with the accordion version of April in Paris I have to give kudos too - he was really into his music, it was cornier than anything but it was danceable and I had some great dances to his set. And the folks around me all had something to say about his set --- at least it was songs you don't hear all the time!

I think Steve Watkins and Marcotte played some excellent music late night Sunday but alas I was too drunk at the blues parties to really tell --- I blame Roy for taking me down the slippery slope (thanks for the shot btw!)

mark0tz

#27 Post by mark0tz » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:33 am

djstarr wrote:I think Steve Watkins and Marcotte played some excellent music late night Sunday ...
Steve Watkins is my daddy. Still trying to find the right title for Devona, who rocked hard Sunday night with me .. er in the dj booth. Thanks Brenda, and thanks to Steve Watkins and Devona for having me up.
Mike Marcotte

Roy

#28 Post by Roy » Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:39 pm

I really did not notice the DJing, I was enjoying the bands, and the people I have not seen for a long time. I think the only time I actually danced to DJ music was a few songs of Larry's at Friday late night, a few songs at Central park, and at the blues party. Most of my dancing was to the bands, they are the ones who got me moving.

Dr. Feelgood

#29 Post by Dr. Feelgood » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:48 pm

Well, I sure apreciate those kind words Brenda & Mike. I hope I
get to hear you soon Brenda...and Mike, you played a hellofa set.
I want to be you when I grow up.

By the way, that cd you gave me is great! Now if I only knew who
half the artists were...maybe there's an order list someplace in your
archives...

sonofvu

#30 Post by sonofvu » Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:56 pm

julius wrote:The reason George Avakian could not be heard was that he was speaking into the side of a directional mike that was designed to reproduce sound best when you speak into the top of it.

Code: Select all

Manu
      |     |
      |     |  George
       \   /
        | |
        | |
        | |
Possibly he was just used to the condenser mics "back in the day", which you generally DO speak into the side of. I think.
Actually I think it was because George held the mike all proper and white bread style while Manu went gansta rapper and held the mike upside down above his head with his arm all twisted and stuff.
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.