EMUSIC Users...

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Greg Avakian

EMUSIC Users...

#1 Post by Greg Avakian » Sat May 10, 2003 2:51 pm

OK, this my first potential problem with E-music:

Have you found that since the change to VBR, some of your old E-music tracks are not working?

If not, I'll suspect that my SONY computer is behind this...

SpuzBal

#2 Post by SpuzBal » Sat May 10, 2003 5:24 pm

I have yet to encounter any problems with old files.
"In my opinion, out of the ten great guitarists in the world, Django is five of them!" - Rex Stewart

GemZombie

#3 Post by GemZombie » Sat May 10, 2003 5:36 pm

Greg, it probably is your computer. You really can't all of the sudden disable old mp3's. Something on your computer changed... Did you install new software/hardware/virus scanner etc?

mp3's aren't like Window Media files that can be locked via license.

Greg Avakian

#4 Post by Greg Avakian » Sat May 10, 2003 10:20 pm

Thanks for the quick responses! :)

I've been installing demo versions of DJ programs and music managers, but i don't think i've used the files that are now unavailable.

what's really weird is that when I try to delete the old files that Music Match says are unavailable, i get a message that say that I can delete the track from the music match playlist, but not from my computer.

I haven't tried opening any of the files in another program, so that will be next...

here's a question for the smart people out there;
If Music Match encodes with MP3-pro at 96 KPS, will another program play the song as if it were a crappy normal 96 KPS rip? The MP3-pro sounds really good at 96 KPS -it's not at all like a normal 96 KPS rip. I guess maybe I'll find out by listening closely?

God, I hate my Sony Viao. And no Mac-cracks: laurie's mac has given me 5-6 coasters in the last month as we have tried to move her music files off it... Pthpt!

GemZombie

#5 Post by GemZombie » Sun May 11, 2003 9:49 am

All I can really tell you is that musicmatch stinks. It's probably musicmatch that's causing you the problems. That awful software tends to try to take over your system. I'm really amazed at despite it's flaws, intrusion, and annoying qualities, just how many people install it.

GemZombie

#6 Post by GemZombie » Sun May 11, 2003 9:50 am

Oh, and a side note, Music Match's encoder is very poor in comparison. Even the folks at Emusic know the best one: the LAME encoder.

Platypus

#7 Post by Platypus » Sun May 11, 2003 1:49 pm

and emusic now has a blurb all about how they DO limit the number of downloads per month. Lindychef HAS made his mark on this world.......

Greg Avakian

#8 Post by Greg Avakian » Sun May 11, 2003 8:39 pm

Well, i tried opening another dead E-music file with another program and couldn't find it. then I seached my C drive for the name of the song and couldn't find...

very frustrating...I still suspect this is a Sony issue because they don't like downloaded music...

GemZombie

#9 Post by GemZombie » Mon May 12, 2003 8:32 am

Greg Avakian wrote:Well, i tried opening another dead E-music file with another program and couldn't find it. then I seached my C drive for the name of the song and couldn't find...

very frustrating...I still suspect this is a Sony issue because they don't like downloaded music...
I very much doubt that some evil sony hardware or software is deleteing your files. Sorry, but i think you got an operator error on this bugger ;)

By the way, have you had any disc cleanup/checkers run recently? If a scandisk runs and finds errors, you may actually lose files, or they'll end up in a "found" directory with no file name. This happened to me once, but I was fortunate enough to be able to use the id3 tags to restore the filenames. File systems corrupt sometimes, especially if you're using windows 95/9x/Me. What *are* you using?

Greg Avakian

#10 Post by Greg Avakian » Mon May 12, 2003 8:52 am

Well, I'm the first to admit that I'm a dumbass on a computer, but what can you do to screw up media files? All I ever did with these is stick them in a playlist and burn CDs...

I'm using XP -you don't think Sony would sneak something into one of their automatic updates??? OK, I hate my Viao, I'm suspicious...

mark0tz

#11 Post by mark0tz » Mon May 12, 2003 9:01 am

if it's an .mp3 file, sony didn't have its hand in making them expire -- your computer did. :)
Mike Marcotte

Greg Avakian

#12 Post by Greg Avakian » Mon May 12, 2003 9:18 am

OK, are you guys stockholders or what?

hahaha. seriously, thanks for the help!

GemZombie

#13 Post by GemZombie » Mon May 12, 2003 11:29 am

No, I've just been using XP since it was available in betas, and I DJ my primary nights using MP3's. I know quite a bit about computers and media formats as I work for a software company that deals with this stuff a lot. MP3's don't expire, and can't be made to inspire in any normal means, so I would suspect somethign completely different.

Corruption can easily happen with bad software *cough cough musicmatch cough cough*. Though even that is pretty unlikely since they only *read*.

Whatever your problem may be, good luck in fix it ;)

Nate Dogg

#14 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon May 12, 2003 11:46 am

Hmm,

eMusic files are not supposed to time out, I have never had one time out on me.

I sort of agree with the other folks on this, I would be very surprised if this is truly an eMusic issue.

Greg Avakian

#15 Post by Greg Avakian » Mon May 12, 2003 1:31 pm

GemZombie wrote: *cough cough musicmatch cough cough*.
LOL! IOUbooze