New Release/Re-issue thread

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Nate Dogg

New Release/Re-issue thread

#1 Post by Nate Dogg » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:11 am

I am always coming across news of new re-issues, new releases on various websites/email newsletters. I thought it would be cool, to start a thread where we could post news at it came in. In paticular, CDs that have interest to us as Swing DJs. A lot of this info gets spread out among the various artist threads, but there are always new things to put on the wish list/used shopping radar. Again, the point would be music that is new to the market, not older recomended releases. Things like last month's Duke Ellington, Blues In Orbit reisssue and the recent CDs by modern bands like Campus Five and the Boilermaker Jazz Band fit here.

To kick things off, Billboard.com posted this article about some new Basie compilations. For the Basie experts, is there anything on these that was previously hard to get?

Nathan

Edited By Jonathan Cohen. August 19, 2004, 4:00 PM ET

Compilations Celebrate Count Basie's 100th

In celebration of William "Count" Basie's centennial, Blue Note Records is releasing a pair of two-disc sets. A reissue of Roulette Records' "The Count Basie Story" and the newly compiled "Count Basie & Friends 100th Birthday Bash" are due Tuesday (Aug. 24), three days after the legendary big band leader's birthdate.

Compiled by Billy Vera and Michael Cuscuna, "Basie & Friends" lines up 28 tracks from the late 1950s. Most were released through Roulette, a label owned by Morris Levy, who also owned New York's Birdland, a regular venue for Basie and His Orchestra.

The "Friends" of the set's title are substantial. Vocalists featured throughout the two discs are Joe Williams, Sarah Vaughan and Tony Bennett, with Nat King Cole, Irene Reid, Billy Eckstine and the vocal group Lambert, Hendricks & Ross also represented.

Tenor saxophonist Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis' trio, which featured organist Shirley Scott, also appears, as do tenor saxophonists Ben Webster and Illinois Jacquet, who are singled out as guest soloists on recordings of "Blue and Sentimental" and "She's Funny That Way," respectively.

At the dawn of the 1960s and a few years into his Roulette relationship, the decision was made to celebrate Basie's silver anniversary by re-recording many of his '30s and '40s hits with his current band. Sessions for "The Count Basie Story" were produced by Teddy Reig at Capitol's New York studio, with recordings of all but three songs taking place in June-July 1960.

The original versions had appeared on such storied labels as OKeh, Decca, Columbia and Vocalion. Through this project, Roulette was able to release versions of such Basie highlights as Lester Young's "Lester Leaps In," originally recorded by Basie's act in 1939, the 1944 Basie/Bob Russell composition "Shorty George," Earl Warren's "9:20 Special" and Basie's homage to his New Jersey roots, "Red Bank Boogie," written with trumpeter Buck Clayton.

"In 1960, this was a trip down Memory Lane for fans of the old Basie band," Vera writes in the liner notes. "Today, most of those old fans are gone, as is the Count and most of his guys. Memories can add a sentimental touch to the enjoyment of music, but the music of Count Basie needs not nostalgia. His music speaks for itself."

Here is the "Count Basie & Friends 100th Birthday Bash" track list:

Disc one:
"Whirly-Birds"
"Goin' to Chicago" (vocals by Joe Williams and Lambert, Hendricks & Ross)
"Cute"
"I Want a Little Girl" (vocal by Nat King Cole)
"Teach Me Tonight" (vocals by Joe Williams and Sarah Vaughan)
"The Late Late Show"
"Lonesome Lover Blues" (vocal by Billy Eckstine)
"Blue and Sentimental" (guest soloist Ben Webster)
"Trav'lin' Light" (vocal by Joe Williams)
"Farouk" (featuring the Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis Small Group)
"For Lena and Lennie"
"Untouchable" (vocal by Irene Reid)
"Everyday (I Have the Blues)" (vocal by Joe Williams)
"I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face" (vocal by Tony Bennett)

Disc two:
"Jumpin' at the Woodside" (vocals by Lambert, Hendricks & Ross)
"Li'l Darlin'"
"If I Were a Bell" (vocals by Joe Williams and Sarah Vaughan)
"Splanky"
"Ain't No Use" (vocal by Joe Williams)
"Until I Met You (Corner Pocket)" (vocal by Sarah Vaughan)
"She's Funny That Way" (guest soloist Illinois Jacquet)
"The Late Late Show" (vocal by Nat King Cole)
"Jeepers Creepers" (vocal by Tony Bennett)
"Jelly Jelly" (vocal by Billy Eckstine)
"Katy Do"
"Save Your Love for Me" (featuring the Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis Small Group)
"April in Paris"
"One O'clock Jump"

Here is "The Count Basie Story" track list:

Disc one:
"Broadway"
"Down for Double"
"Lester Leaps In"
"Topsy"
"Jumpin' at the Woodside"
"Taps Miller"
"Shorty George"
"Doggin' Around"
"Avenue C"
"Jive at Five"
"Rock-a-bye Basie"
"Moten Swing"

Disc two:
"Swingin' the Blues"
"Sent for You Yesterday"
"Tickle Toe"
"Blue and Sentimental"
"Time Out"
"9:20 Special"
"Red Bank Boogie"
"Every Tub"
"Dickie's Dream"
"Texas Shuffle"
"Out the Window"
"Boogie Woogie (I May Be Wrong)"
"Good Morning Blues"
"Gee Baby, Ain't I Good to You"

-- Barry A. Jeckell, N.Y.

CafeSavoy

#2 Post by CafeSavoy » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:20 pm

I don't think there's anything hard to get on the list. But they are good compilations. Although they would probably duplicate the collection of Basie completists.

Campus Five

#3 Post by Campus Five » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:33 pm

The stuff on the 4th disc is a bit more rare. The first batch of live stuff is great, and so's the stuff from Cafe Uptown - although sans Lester Young. You can really hear Jo Jones hihats clearly on those. By the way the liner notes are pretty good too.
"I don''t dig that two beat jive the New Orleans cats play.
My boys and I have four heavy beats to the bar and no cheating!
--Count Basie
www.campusfive.com
www.myspace.com/campusfive
www.swingguitar.blogspot.com

CafeSavoy

#4 Post by CafeSavoy » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:58 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:I don't think there's anything hard to get on the list. But they are good compilations. Although they would probably duplicate the collection of Basie completists.
Oops, just re-read the recording dates. The stuff on _The Count Basie Story_ seems to the material from the Complete Roulette Recordings which is a bit hard to get.

Lawrence

#5 Post by Lawrence » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:20 pm

None of that stuff is hard to find, at all; the more operative question is whether the version of the song and the re-mastering make it worthwhile to buy another, possible-duplicate copy.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

sonofvu

Re: New Release/Re-issue thread

#6 Post by sonofvu » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:04 am

I think that I would like to hear almost everything on these two compilations except this...
Nate Dogg wrote: Disc two:
"Jumpin' at the Woodside" (vocals by Lambert, Hendricks & Ross)
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.

Nate Dogg

#7 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:08 pm

Due out tomorrow, 9/14

Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown
Timeless
Hightone

Nate Dogg

#8 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:15 pm

Due out 9/21/04

File under non-swing, I am very interested in what this one sounds like.

A collaboration between Ben Harper and Blind Boys of Alabama
"There Will Be Light"

Tracks
1 Take My Hand Harper ... 3:54
2 Wicked Man Harper ... 3:33
3 Where Could I Go Harper ... 4:09
4 Church House Steps Harper ... 4:46
5 11th Commandment Harper ... 1:34
6 Well Well Well Harper ... 3:15
7 Picture of Jesus Harper ... 3:45
8 Satisfied Mind Harper ... 3:15
9 Mother Pray Harper ... 3:00
10 There Will Be a Light Harper ... 3:22
11 Church on Time Harper ... 6:49
2004 CD Virgin 71206

Nate Dogg

#9 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:31 pm

Three more recent releases (or about to be released).

George Gee Big Band and Frank Foster - Settin the Pace

http://www.georgegee.com/index.html
Available now! GJazz Records is happy to announce the new CD - "Settin' the Pace" - with Frank Foster and The George Gee Big Band! Recorded this past April after the band's previous appearance at Birdland Jazz Club, the recording features music and arrangements by Frank Foster - many never previously recorded! Frank directed this the whole project and masterfully guided the Big Band in the recording studio to his satisfaction. The results are twelve exciting tracks of swingin' Big Band jazz, on which Grammy nominee vocalist Carla Cook lends her soulful renditions on three songs. And as Frank says, "Given the proper setting, you just might prefer to dance!"
Please visit newly formed label - GJazz Records - for complete information on "Settin' the Pace." Included are sound samples, reviews, band biographies, photos and the complete liner noted by Frank Foster.

Seth Walker - On The Outside
http://www.sethwalker.com/music.html
Folk/Rock/Blues artists, popular with dancers in Austin

My comments - Very much like his recent live shows, if you like his other CDs (in particular "Restless"), you will probably like this one. Not swing music

Madeleine Peyroux - Careless Love
Released 2004

Track Title Time Win. Media Real Audio
1 Dance Me to the End of Love 03:56
2 Don't Wait Too Long 03:10
3 Don't Cry Baby 03:16
4 You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go 03:26
5 Between the Bars 03:42 High
6 No More 03:31
7 Lonesome Road 03:10
8 J'ai Deux Amours 02:54
9 Weary Blues 03:39
10 I'll Look Around 04:47
11 Careless Love 03:50
12 This Is Heaven to Me 03:12

http://www.madeleinepeyroux.com/index.php?id=audio.php

http://www.madeleinepeyroux.com/
http://www.madeleinepeyroux.org/

Bob the Builder

#10 Post by Bob the Builder » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:11 pm

Mora's Modern Rhythmists new CD.

off their website:
At last, here is the Swingtet's debut CD! The album contains 20 tracks of great swing of the 1930s and 1940s, originally performed by such bands as the John Kirby Orchestra, Artie Shaw's Gramercy Five, Tommy Dorsey's Clambake Seven, and the Duke Ellington small groups. Our lovely big-band singer, Kayre Morrison, lends her voice to a number of swell selections, including "You're A Sweetheart", "Lonely Tune", and "I Didn't Like It The First Time."

FEATURING THESE 20 GREAT TUNES!

JUMP STEADY ~ EFFERVESCENT BLUES ~ KRUM ELBOW BLUES ~ I DIDN'T LIKE IT THE FIRST TIME ~ YOU'RE A SWEETHEART ~ PEDESTRIAN'S PANIC ~ BLUE FANTASY ~ HOP, SKIP & JUMP ~ AT THE CODFISH BALL ~ IF I HAD A RIBBON BOW ~ 20TH CENTURY CLOSET ~ SHADES OF HADES ~ MILKMAN'S MATINEE ~ BUSINESS IN F ~ OPUS 5 ~ THAT LONELY TUNE ~ STOMPOLOGY ~ CHARLIE'S PRELUDE ~ LINDY HOP ~ JITTERBUG'S LULLABY

More information at http://morasmodern.com/
The official release date for the Swingtet's new CD, TWENTIETH CENTURY CLOSET, will be September 25th, which is the date for the Swingtet's appearance at the Fort MacArthur event (see our SHOWTIMES page for more details). More to follow.....
I'm going to be very interested to reviews of the new CD.

Brian

Nate Dogg

#11 Post by Nate Dogg » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:05 am

I saw this on an email newsletter from themusic.com.

There are some new Count Basie Japanese remastered CDs on the market, retailing for $27.99. Not sure if they are worth it. I figure somebody might be interested, here are the titles:

BASIE, COUNT: THE COUNT! - JAPANESE REMASTER
BASIE, COUNT: DANCE SESSION #1 - JAPANESE REMASTER
FITZGERALD, ELLA & COUNT BASIE & JOE WILLIAMS: ONE O'CLOCK JUMP - JAPANESE REMASTER
BASIE, COUNT: DANCE SESSION #2 - JAPANESE REMASTER
PETERSON, OSCAR: WE GET REQUESTS - JAPANESE REMASTER

Nate Dogg

#12 Post by Nate Dogg » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:24 pm

New release, I have not heard it yet.

Title: HANG ON LITTLE TOMATO
Artist: PINK MARTINI
Category: New Vinyl
SKU: HNZ-002
Genre: Lounge
Label: HEINZ
Reissue Label:
Price: $16.99 USD
Product Condition:
Cover Condition:
Description: CD 2004. Following the world wide success of their smash debut Sympathetique, this is the much-anticipated second album by the 'little orchestra' from Portland, Oregon.

kbuxton

#13 Post by kbuxton » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:10 pm

Nate Dogg wrote:New release, I have not heard it yet.

Title: HANG ON LITTLE TOMATO
Artist: PINK MARTINI
I listened to their CD release concert on the radio last night. It didn't really sound like any of the new CD was swing, but I haven't picked it up yet.

Nate Dogg

#14 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:39 pm

Nate Dogg

#15 Post by Nate Dogg » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:25 pm

A few things, on the download front.

The Sunday band at the bast year's Austin Lindy Exchange has a few free downloads, they can be found at

http://www.monsterbigband.com/music.html

iTunes released a new batch of Verve Vault albums on January 18th. They are iTunes exclusive, out of print, download only re-issues, including some Count Basie (Count Basie Picks the Winners, Basie's Beat). They also have albums from Illinois Jacquet, Sonny Stitt, Stan Getz, and Quincy Jones.