The Y6A Lineup Announced!

What's happening?

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Shorty Dave

#31 Post by Shorty Dave » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:36 am

That sounds like a great idea! We're about to announce another something *very* special for Saturday afternoon, so maybe Sunday afternoon before Lindy in the Park, which is 3-7pm?

I suggest everyone start at Jazz Record Center, 236 W 26th St, #804 (www.jazzrecordcenter.com) at, say, 12 or 1, and then work your way downtown from there. Actually, I explained it all at: http://www.swingdjs.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=800

Dunno if I'll be able to join, but I'll try. Happy Hunting!

Shorty Dave

#32 Post by Shorty Dave » Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:48 am

It's great that so many DJs are coming, because I know you guys won't want to miss our latest announcement! I already thought the Basie Centennial Ball is going to be the most special dance that our generation of dancers will be able to attend, simply for the fact that we have so many musicians who used to actually play in Basie's band in the '50s and '60s (among many other reasons). But now this takes the cake. The greatest collection of swing dancers - of all generations - to ever gather for a picture. The picture of all generations will hopefully go down in history, and I hope you call can be in it. Here's the press release:

Inspired by Art Kane's Classic 1958 Photograph of over fifty legendary Jazz Musicians posing on the steps of a brownstone in Harlem ,"A Great Day in Harlem". A Great Day In Lindy is an attempt to bring together the most important faces of Lindy Hop's past present and future for one giant photo shoot on Saturday, October 9, 2004.

This event is open to anyone who dances or who has been touched by this unique American art form. A series of group photos will be taken according to the year or era that people started dancing and at the end one large group photo will be taken of every one who is present at the event.

We have been in the process of contacting living members of Whitey's Lindy Hoppers, The Congeroos, The Mama Lou Parks Dancers, The Rockets, The Jiveadeers, Harvest Moon Ball Competitors and Champions, Savoy Dancers, Bouncers, Early West Coast Lindy Hoppers and many others who have made a significant contribution to this dance (teachers, performers, competitors and social dancers...etc) to come join us for this memorable photo.

The following people are already planning on joining us:
Frankie Manning
Norma Miller
Dawn Hampton
Eleanor Watson (Whitey's Lindy Hopper, In Radio City Revels)
Ruthie Rhinegold (Whitey's Lindy Hopper)
James Brown (Whitey's Lindy Hopper)
Midge Vercelli (Harvest Moon Ball Champion-One of only Four Non-Savoy dancers to win from 1935 to 1958)
Sugar Sullivan (Harvest Moon Ball Champion, Jivadeer, Rocket)
George Sullivan (Harvest Moon Ball Champion, Trained 10 Harvest Moon Ball Champions)
Sonny Allen (Harvest Moon Ball Champion, Founder of The Rockets)
Gigi Brown (Harvest Moon Ball Champion, Mama Lou Parks Dancer, State Department Africa Tour)
David Butts (Harvest Moon Ball Champion, Mama Lou Parks Dancer, State Department Africa Tour)
Gloria Thompson (Mama Lou Parks Dancer, State Department Africa Tour, Harvest Moon Ball Finalist, Savoy Dancer)
Coley Wallace (Last Living Savoy Ballroom Bouncer, Heavyweight Contender, Starred in the Movie the Joe Louis Story)
Helen Banks (Savoy Ballroom Dancer, Appeared in Soundies, Member of the Harlem Ski Team)

Stay tuned for more details!

Serg

#33 Post by Serg » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:24 pm

I am game to meet all fellow DJs on Sunday around noon for some CD shopping and perhaps lunch. We shall meet at Jazz Record Center as suggested by Shorty Dave. Let's start a roll call. Who is in?

Serg

kbuxton

#34 Post by kbuxton » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:54 am

Serg wrote:I am game to meet all fellow DJs on Sunday around noon for some CD shopping and perhaps lunch. We shall meet at Jazz Record Center as suggested by Shorty Dave. Let's start a roll call. Who is in?

Serg
I'm still on the fence for the weekend, but if I make it out there I'll definitely plan on Sunday noon.

Swifty

#35 Post by Swifty » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:44 pm

Aw man, meeting all the way down on 26th St. at noon? I'm staying uptown 'round Harlem way and plan on being up until daybreak on Saturday night/Sunday morning.

Maybe I'll go shopping on Friday and make sure the stores are all picked clean by the time you guys hit them. :twisted:

Serg

#36 Post by Serg » Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:00 pm

"Aw man, meeting all the way down on 26th St. at noon? I'm staying uptown 'round Harlem way and plan on being up until daybreak on Saturday night/Sunday morning. "

Take the A Train man, the easiest way out of Harlem :D

Serg

Nate Dogg

#37 Post by Nate Dogg » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:54 pm

I can't make Sunday, I will be flying out on Sunday.

djstarr

#38 Post by djstarr » Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:58 pm

Serg wrote:I am game to meet all fellow DJs on Sunday around noon for some CD shopping and perhaps lunch. We shall meet at Jazz Record Center as suggested by Shorty Dave. Let's start a roll call. Who is in?

Serg
how about one? Not quite sure where I'm staying yet, but I'm with Swifty, Sat night will probably go late.

Serg

#39 Post by Serg » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:57 pm

One PM is cool too. I just want make sure I go to Lindy in the Park later.

Serg

Shanabanana

#40 Post by Shanabanana » Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:28 pm

I'll be there for the weekend! Not sure about DJ shopping, but it'll be nice to see everyone.

Roy

#41 Post by Roy » Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:14 pm

I'm in, DJ shopping sounds cool, as long as Sergio does not want to hang out in a bar and get me drunk at 3 PM in the afternoon.

Serg

#42 Post by Serg » Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:53 pm

Roy wrote:I'm in, DJ shopping sounds cool, as long as Sergio does not want to hang out in a bar and get me drunk at 3 PM in the afternoon.
I will stick to dancing on this trip!

Serg

Shorty Dave

#43 Post by Shorty Dave » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:01 am

So it's looking like this will have more SwingDJs members than any other event, no? Kinda makes sense given all the special stuff (beyond just swing dancing) going on that appeals specifically to us geeks: Basie Alumni, "A Great Day in Lindy", a couple discussion panels, Harlem Renaissance Orchestra, etc.

I'm pretty sure the following have told me they're planning on coming ( know there are rumors of others, too):

1. Shorty Dave
2. Wexie
3. Tomo
4. Alligator
5. Spuds
6. Greg Avakian
7. Roy
8. Mousethief
9. DJStarr
10. NateDogg
11. Serg
12. Swifty
13. ShanaBanana
14. Gatorgal
15. Larry
16. Stan
17. Ryan
18. Abdel
19. LindyChef
20. Szarka
21. BigCash
22. RaleighRob
23. Zev
24. Mike
25. Poke Alex
26. kbuxton
27. Falty411
28. 12bars
29. (geek)

Cool!!!!

Anyone else I'm forgetting?
Last edited by Shorty Dave on Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nate Dogg

#44 Post by Nate Dogg » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:46 am

Yeah, it might be the largest assembly of DJs from this Board to date. And most of us won't be DJing.

Just goes to show where our priorities really are when you get down to it.

Nathan

LindyChef

#45 Post by LindyChef » Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:01 am

I won't be going to the panel ... I've got a dinner reservation at Babbo that's been calling my name ;)