How have you changed as a DJ?

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Matthew

How have you changed as a DJ?

#1 Post by Matthew » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:02 am

Looking back, how has your DJing changed over time? Has your taste in music changed very much? Have the dancers and their tastes changed the way you DJ? What do you learn from looking at your old playlists? If you haven't changed very much, why? Do you think there's a typical transformation that most swing DJs undergo? A bunch of newbie questions, I know, but I'd appreciate your thoughts on the matter. Thanks.

mousethief

Re: How have you changed as a DJ?

#2 Post by mousethief » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:33 am

Matthew wrote:Looking back, how has your DJing changed over time? Has your taste in music changed very much? Have the dancers and their tastes changed the way you DJ? What do you learn from looking at your old playlists?
I used to have a lot more shitty music. I spend as much time building my scene as an organizer, so I can't say that the dancers have necessarily influenced my collection. I buy what I enjoy first.

The most humbling things I see in my old playlists are how I might have let someone else influence the night - traveling instructors, other DJs, etc.
Do you think there's a typical transformation that most swing DJs undergo?
Most get better, certainly. I think there's an initial rush to get what's popular, which gets tossed as you get futher into the music. I would also say that most DJs "go back in time" rather than building from the jazz era forward.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Kyle

#3 Post by Kyle » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:35 am

mousethief wrote: I used to have a lot more shitty music.
Kalman
More than you have now? Is that possible? wow

lol j/k

Kyle

#4 Post by Kyle » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:37 am

but seriously Kalman, I agree about going back in time. I find myself these days getting older recordings, and actually liking them. I had a tendency to stay away from stuff before around 1935 or so, but now I'm gettin into much older recordings.

Soupbone

#5 Post by Soupbone » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:50 am

I used to have a lot more variety in my sets than now. But, that's pretty much due to a) my own changing tastes and b) I now pretty much only DJ at Seattle's home for hotter music, One O'Clock Jump.
Gary

mousethief

#6 Post by mousethief » Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:42 pm

Kyle wrote:
mousethief wrote: I used to have a lot more shitty music.
Kalman
More than you have now? Is that possible? wow

lol j/k
Actually, yeah. My original collection was mysteriously stolen a few years ago and there was some bad shit in there.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Lawrence

#7 Post by Lawrence » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:28 pm

mousethief wrote:
Matthew wrote:Looking back, how has your DJing changed over time? Has your taste in music changed very much? Have the dancers and their tastes changed the way you DJ? What do you learn from looking at your old playlists?
I would also say that most DJs "go back in time" rather than building from the jazz era forward.
Actually, my experience is very definitely the exact opposite, both with myself and with most of the DJs I know, especially the newer DJs in Austin and on this list.

Although modern Neo Swing initially brought me in, it instantly inspired me to obsessively collect and play Swing Era and pre-swing era music almost exclusively for my first few years. I prided myself on playing "original" music when everyone else was into Neo Swing, Rockabilly, or even Neo-Ska. Only later did I branch out into more modern forms of music with a swing rhythm which allowed me to continuously realize how narrow my own perception of rhythm was (historically and musically).

Evolving beyond Swing Era music and discovering new, non-Swing Era danceable music--and broadening my perception of what is "LindyHoppable"--is what primarily kept my interest in dancing and Swing music alive; otherwise, I probably would have lost interest long ago like most of the people who learned with me. Not that I have abandoned Swing Era music because it is part of that broad spectrum that keeps it interesting. But it definitely began and grew quite a bit from there.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Roy

#8 Post by Roy » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:28 pm

When i was trying to build up a CD collection I would buy what other DJ's had. Once I had a pretty sizeable collection I would buy what other DJ's don't have.

gatorgal

#9 Post by gatorgal » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:46 am

Matthew wrote:Looking back, how has your DJing changed over time?
I've become more comfortable DJing as time goes by, but I do still get butterflies in my stomach if I'm DJing for a large crowd I'm not familiar with. Far from the stark terror I used to have. :)

I also stopped feeling that I needed to spread myself out as a DJ and cater to tastes that weren't close to my own. That may make me a "niche" person, but I like my niche.
Matthew wrote:Has your taste in music changed very much?
Not for lindy, but my ideas of good WCS music have changed a lot.
Matthew wrote:Have the dancers and their tastes changed the way you DJ?
I think your dancers or your home scene always influences what you play. In my case, it makes me more open to stuff that's a bit offbeat.
Matthew wrote:What do you learn from looking at your old playlists?
That I still have a long way to go. :)
Matthew wrote:A bunch of newbie questions, I know, but I'd appreciate your thoughts on the matter.
Nice questions all, Matthew. :)

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Toon Town Dave

#10 Post by Toon Town Dave » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:55 pm

I've changed a lot but it has been due to my expanded knowledge of and exposure to swing era and pre-swing era music.

I used to play a lot of absolute crap, simply because the good stuff was not accessible. It wasn't until I started following discussions here and on the old yahoo group as well as listening to yehoodi radio that my knowledge expanded. I still have it in my collection but I rarely listen to it or take it to a DJ gig.

Generally, I'm with Kalman in regards to going back in time, at least in terms of style. I still like musicians that can pull off the traditional jazz and swing era sound.

Tina, I'd be interested in hearing how your tastes in westie have changed (ie pop to bluesey or vice versa)?

djstarr

#11 Post by djstarr » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:09 pm

When I started Dj'ing I had a very small collection - all the Swing Session, Ernestine Anderson, Louis Prima, my 2CD Ella Fitzgerald set and 4 or 5 Ken Burns Jazz collections.

So once I decided I enjoyed Dj'ing I started buying a lot of music - I focused on pre-WWII first, now I'm buying more Dixieland/Chicago and modern blues.

I used to play a lot of jump blues and novelty songs, now I try to limit them as accents.

Most of my collection has been influenced by what I've read here and what I've talked with other Dj's about (both in Seattle and when I've traveled). Probably the only original artist I have that no one else in Seattle plays is Curtis Stigers.

I started out playing a lot of vocals, and I still play a lot more vocals than anyone else which is good since Kevin T, Travis and I have about a 1/3 crossover rate now it seems ;-) I'm lucky they both don't like vocals as much as I do.

I think my ability to read a crowd and to make a set flow is much improved over when I first started - this is something that just takes experience, and you will still have nights where you feel like the dancers and you are just not on the same page.

main_stem

#12 Post by main_stem » Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:28 am

djstarr wrote: I'm lucky they both don't like vocals as much as I do.
Really? :P
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

gatorgal

#13 Post by gatorgal » Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:48 am

Toon Town Dave wrote: Tina, I'd be interested in hearing how your tastes in westie have changed (ie pop to bluesey or vice versa)?
Started off liking the pop stuff when I was first introduced to WCS, now I like the more slow bluesy stuff. Which supposedly goes against the grain of what most WCS dancers like.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

mousethief

#14 Post by mousethief » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:06 am

gatorgal wrote:
Toon Town Dave wrote: Tina, I'd be interested in hearing how your tastes in westie have changed (ie pop to bluesey or vice versa)?
Started off liking the pop stuff when I was first introduced to WCS, now I like the more slow bluesy stuff. Which supposedly goes against the grain of what most WCS dancers like.

Tina 8)
No @#%!&$@!$@*&%!@#$*!^@!

I would do WCS or Carolina Shag if they had stayed with great music like the Spinners, Little Bob, early R&B made the dances but nowadays they play crap at most dances.

Hmmm...

Kalman

12bars

#15 Post by 12bars » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:01 pm

for carolina shag, it depends on where you go. most of the younger gen of shaggers like the older stuff. but yes, lots of shag music is crap.