Laptop DJing

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

yedancer

#136 Post by yedancer » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:27 am

LindyChef wrote:
GemZombie wrote:I don't like Winamps form of moving to the next song, BPM studio has this nice customizable crossfade. It's perfect.
Just wondering, Gem, how do you use the cross fade when DJing lindy events?

Personally, I prefer not fading between songs and allowing that small gap to be there. It allows people to know definitively that the song has ended and gives them a bit of breathing room to find their next partner or collect their thoughts.
I think some people prefer to use the crossfader as opposted to directly manipulating the chanel volume. It can make it easier to keep track of which side is playing, and also requires only 1 movement to control the volume instead of two (assuming you turn down the chanel that isn't playing).
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

GemZombie

#137 Post by GemZombie » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:42 am

LindyChef wrote:
GemZombie wrote:I don't like Winamps form of moving to the next song, BPM studio has this nice customizable crossfade. It's perfect.
Just wondering, Gem, how do you use the cross fade when DJing lindy events?

Personally, I prefer not fading between songs and allowing that small gap to be there. It allows people to know definitively that the song has ended and gives them a bit of breathing room to find their next partner or collect their thoughts.
I have it set to fade out the last 2 to 3 seconds. That usually has an effective fade out of nothing, i then have it leave about 1 or 2 seconds of silence until the next song, which has a full start with no fade in. It's basically what i'd do if i were DJing by CD. I just like it because it's totally configurable... even per song. For example, C-Jam Blues as done by the LCOJ has a long section of clapping. With this I can have that song in particular set to fade out earlier, and start the next tune during the fade out.

So ya, i do the same, give some time in between. My point was Winamp just automatically plays the next song with no time in between. That might be configurable, i'm not sure, but certainly not to the extent that i'd like.

LindyChef

#138 Post by LindyChef » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:06 am

GemZombie wrote: I have it set to fade out the last 2 to 3 seconds. That usually has an effective fade out of nothing, i then have it leave about 1 or 2 seconds of silence until the next song, which has a full start with no fade in. It's basically what i'd do if i were DJing by CD. I just like it because it's totally configurable... even per song. For example, C-Jam Blues as done by the LCOJ has a long section of clapping. With this I can have that song in particular set to fade out earlier, and start the next tune during the fade out.
Nice ... I hadn't thought about that sort of application. I might have to check out that app ...

Nima

#139 Post by Nima » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:58 am

Yesterday I decided to step into laptop DJ'ing for good. Carrying my books around was starting be a pain in the neck (and back) and I already carry my laptop with me everywhere I go.

I bought Creative Labs MP3+ from Best Buy. It is' originally about $40 but this week has a $10 instant rebate + a $10 mail in rebate.

The output sound quality is really good and I like the fact that now I have the possibility of recording into my laptop. I know many people that have vinyl recordings that they would like to convert to Digital audio and this gives you the opprtunity to do so.

Needless to say, I am very happy with this purchase :)

Nima
Last edited by Nima on Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

GemZombie

#140 Post by GemZombie » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:00 am

Been using a mp3+ for a while, it's the perfect little addition to a laptop DJ set up.

Good deal on the rebates and such. Unless you have a reason to have even more outputs, this is definitely my recommendation for secondary sound.

Nate Dogg

#141 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:33 pm

I will do my first laptop set on Thursday. I got an Audigy 2NX card. The plan is to use WinAmp/internal manufacturer provided soundcard to preview and iTunes through Audigy as output to the house system. I will probably keep trying out different things for awhile.

I thought about doing the dual WinAmp model, but I have this fear of getting them accidentally mixed up during a set. If I can things separate, it should be one less thing to worry about. That is the theory anyway.

All systems are a go, looking forward to it.

Nathan
Last edited by Nate Dogg on Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Awesomer

#142 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:03 pm

Just change the color scheme of the two different instances.
Perhaps red for "on air" and blue for "off air."
Reuben Brown
Southern California

wheresmygravy

#143 Post by wheresmygravy » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:08 pm

Also, a word of advice, until you feel comfortable with the set up and how it all works, have an "Emergency CD" loaded and Cued ready to go. Just in case of a hiccup. As a matter of fact it would not hurt to have a compilation CD Qued just in case the problems last longer than one song....

Saved my ass a couple of times when I was just getting it all figured out on my setup....

Nate Dogg

#144 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:43 pm

GuruReuben wrote:Just change the color scheme of the two different instances.
Perhaps red for "on air" and blue for "off air."
That is a good idea, but those WinAmp skins to some practical use. I am probably going to try a few different set-ups until I get something I feel comfortable with.
wheresmygravy wrote:Also, a word of advice, until you feel comfortable with the set up and how it all works, have an "Emergency CD" loaded and Cued ready to go. Just in case of a hiccup. As a matter of fact it would not hurt to have a compilation CD Qued just in case the problems last longer than one song....

Saved my ass a couple of times when I was just getting it all figured out on my setup....
Yeah, I think I am going to always keep my compilation CDs in the car, just in case, bring them in the first few times.

Our set up is pretty condusive to emergency bailouts, all I have to do is flip the channel, as if I were switching from CD to CD.

Nathan
wheresmygravy wrote: you need a good tagger program. I use Dr. Tag Plus because it has the ability to re-structure your file layout based on the MP3 tag. For example if I have a compilation disc which usually gets ripped with the "Various Artist" as the Artist. Once I change the tag I can "restructure" and it will move the file to a new folder based on the tag. So all of my Count Basie is in one folder sorted by Album. It's the only program I found that did that.
This is very good tool, I especially like the ability to mass replace tags that I don't like. For example, if the whole album is off, I can just replace the entire thing (Assuming the text to be replaced is something unique). This feature works the same as it does in Microsoft Office.

Ex: I can change all the "Count_Basie" to "Count Basie". Standardize song titles, etc... This is going to make the tag cleaning process go much quicker.
Last edited by Nate Dogg on Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LindyChef

#145 Post by LindyChef » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:26 pm

Nate Dogg wrote:I will do my first laptop set on Thursday. I got an Audigy 2NX card. The plan is to use WinAmp/internal manufacturer provided soundcard to preview and iTunes through Audigy as output to the house system. I will probably keep trying out different things for awhile.

I thought about doing the dual WinAmp model, but I have this fear of getting them accidentally mixed up during a set. If I can things separate, it should be one less thing to worry about. That is the theory anyway.

All systems are a go, looking forward to it.

Nathan
If you do that, understand that Windows selects your default card for you automatically ... if you ever want to change it, go to Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Audio Tab and change your default device.

Also, I've got my default sound scheme set to "No Sounds" just to avoid the chance that something might make a sound and mar my output.

mark0tz

#146 Post by mark0tz » Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:00 pm

Just got in on a Dell Deal -- 15% off an Inspiron. Free shipping, some nice upgrades. Both excited and daunted by the onerous task of moving everything onto it from my CDs.

Thanks for all the tips contained in this thread... Going to try that iMic out.
Mike Marcotte

LindyChef

#147 Post by LindyChef » Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:41 am

I know some of you out there use CDs as your insurance policy in case of catastrophic laptop failure, but do any of you use an MP3 player in the same fashion?

CafeSavoy

#148 Post by CafeSavoy » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:43 am

LindyChef wrote:I know some of you out there use CDs as your insurance policy in case of catastrophic laptop failure, but do any of you use an MP3 player in the same fashion?
Do you mean like a iPod or something similar? I think if you're going to be a digital dj you should have some backups because computers can go down on you when you least expect it.

LindyChef

#149 Post by LindyChef » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:19 am

CafeSavoy wrote:Do you mean like a iPod or something similar? I think if you're going to be a digital dj you should have some backups because computers can go down on you when you least expect it.
Exactly. I'm in the process of getting an iPod for myself for that reason (and, as a general rule, I always carry around a copy of my Windows XP CD for recovery purposes).

Shanabanana

#150 Post by Shanabanana » Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:27 am

The 4G Ipod docks have a "line out" port, which makes the sound quality good enough to play over a sound system. Lovin mine.