Extigy or similar

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

fredchu

Extigy or similar

#1 Post by fredchu » Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:35 am

Need advice. I just bought a Fender Passport PD-150 to play tracks from a Compaq Laptop. The sound is great (and it fills the house) when music plays. BUT, in quiet periods (i.e. no music), I get crackling and humming. I understand from Compaq that it's the sound card noise being amplified. Does anyone have a solution? When I search for external sound cards on TechTV, I got a link to Extigy for $150. Is this a good solution or is there something better? Thanks.

Toon Town Dave

#2 Post by Toon Town Dave » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:44 pm

The onboard sound is a good suspect, most PCs have crappy on-board. If you have a line-out and headphone-out, use line-out and let the amp do the amplifying. The other thing you can do is make sure all the connectors are clean and making good electrical and mechanical contact and the cables are in good shape. Cables are a cheap and easy thing to look at before spending lots of money on more sound gear.

If you do decide to purchase another sound device, I've heard good things about the Extigy, There are probably a few people here that have first hand experience and can provide better info. I think I've seen at least two other external sound devices available form DJ sites as well. I can't recall the brands/models off hand.

wheresmygravy

#3 Post by wheresmygravy » Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:39 pm

I have been looking at the Audigy 2 NX for my laptop it's about $130 and is very small.

I have also wondered if the Sound Blaster MP3+ which is only $40 would work with the DJ software like BPM Studio. I know the Audigy and Extigy do.

The Audigy and Extigy are overkill to me as for as features for a DJ. I don't need 7.1 channel sound for 1930's recordings.

JesseMiner

#4 Post by JesseMiner » Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:02 pm

I highly recommend you read through the Laptop DJing thread. It should answer all of your questions.

As for external sound cards, I've been hearing nothing but rave reviews about the Echo Indigo DJ sound card (mentioned in the above thread).

Jesse

MikeD

#5 Post by MikeD » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:20 pm

If your computer is plugged in try unplugging it. I have found that out of some electrical outlets I get this humming when no music is playing.

I have an Extigy sound card and I still get the noise. It dissappears when I unplug the computer.

Mike Dancel

fredchu

Sound Blaster MP3+ Report

#6 Post by fredchu » Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:06 am

Here's a followup. The Sound Blaster MP3+ off the shelf from Best Buy for $40 worked JUST GREAT with my Fender Passport PD-150. No longer do I get the loud hum or clicks in the "QUIET" time when nothing was playing. So, Silence has become really Silent (or nearly so). Installation was simple and took less than 10 minutes from box to using it. The main trick I learned: I TURN UP the sound volume control (on the Compaq laptop) to nearly MAX; then the volume control on the PA system can be set lower and didn't amplify noise.

I appreciate all your comments. (I'm "no" DJ. I put this together for my wife after we heard the Fender at a college dance.)

funkyfreak

#7 Post by funkyfreak » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:49 am

MikeD wrote:I get this humming when no music is playing.

It dissappears when I unplug the computer.
Hahahahaha, that's classic.

-FF

fredchu

60 cycle hum

#8 Post by fredchu » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:53 pm

funkyfreak wrote:
MikeD wrote:I get this humming when no music is playing.

It dissappears when I unplug the computer.
Hahahahaha, that's classic.

-FF
Actually, the speaker hum when plugged into power lines may be 60-cycle interference -- which would disappear on batteries.

A possible solution: get an inexpensive 60 cycle line filter from, say, Radio Shack.

coldnight

SB MP3+

#9 Post by coldnight » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:19 am

wheresmygravy wrote:I have been looking at the Audigy 2 NX for my laptop it's about $130 and is very small.

I have also wondered if the Sound Blaster MP3+ which is only $40 would work with the DJ software like BPM Studio. I know the Audigy and Extigy do.

The Audigy and Extigy are overkill to me as for as features for a DJ. I don't need 7.1 channel sound for 1930's recordings.
I just picked up the Soundblaster MP3+... I really like it, I finally got windows to "see" it properly. The SB unit draws enough current that my laptops USB won't power it enough to work. With a powered hub (more to carry!!) it works just fine. I've been doing some critical listing to it and I plan to setup this week on the PA and see what I can hear with it.

Thanks to everyone on the board for help with this purchase!

wheresmygravy

Re: SB MP3+

#10 Post by wheresmygravy » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:45 am

coldnight wrote: I just picked up the Soundblaster MP3+... I really like it, I finally got windows to "see" it properly. The SB unit draws enough current that my laptops USB won't power it enough to work. With a powered hub (more to carry!!) it works just fine. I've been doing some critical listing to it and I plan to setup this week on the PA and see what I can hear with it.

Thanks to everyone on the board for help with this purchase!
Yeah, I went with the SB MP3 unit. I have been very happy with it. I know it would be better to have an internal card but it's not that big of a hassle. My Compaq tablet had plenty of power for the USB sound card.

Mr Awesomer

#11 Post by Mr Awesomer » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:28 pm

http://www.pcdj.com/Products/Hardware/GigaPort.asp

Does anyone have this thing? Overkill perhaps?
Reuben Brown
Southern California

GemZombie

#12 Post by GemZombie » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:13 pm

My old laptop had problems with usb bus power. Most newer machines (especially those with USB 2.0) will have no problems powering your bus powered peripherals.

KevinSchaper

#13 Post by KevinSchaper » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:44 am

you could dj for two rooms all by yourself.

wheresmygravy

#14 Post by wheresmygravy » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:55 am

KevinSchaper wrote:you could dj for two rooms all by yourself.
That's an interesting concept......hmmmmm.

GemZombie

#15 Post by GemZombie » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:24 pm

wheresmygravy wrote:
KevinSchaper wrote:you could dj for two rooms all by yourself.
That's an interesting concept......hmmmmm.
There's software made specifically for that. There's an app called OtsDJ which is more of a radio station software, that allows you to pipe output to multiple "rooms".

In the software I use I can decide which "deck" get's which output... and they can play simultaneously... though I don't think it has automatic next track play on simultaneous decks. I could be wrong.

I have a hard enough time managing one room :P