What happens when you take a request

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Moonmist

What happens when you take a request

#1 Post by Moonmist » Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:12 am

So, locally, I run a venue where having request is ok. There are some misses, but sometimes it's interesting.

Like for instance, I have someone asked to play a NKOTB song they had. I gave it a listen and it's danceable but for better judgement, I said no.

The other was Manhattan Transfer, I went ahead put it on, and then people were asking me to recommend them 'the CD' to get from the group. Frankly, I don't like them, I never had. I think they're tolerable, but I won't even DJ with it. Been looking, and I just can't bring myself to say anything good about any of their albums. So, to help this poor soul out, can someone give me some guidance?

Platypus

#2 Post by Platypus » Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:58 am

If you refer them to me, just remember that I know where you live.

funkyfreak

#3 Post by funkyfreak » Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:11 pm

"I'll see if I can fit it in."

-FF

Lawrence

#4 Post by Lawrence » Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:53 pm

I'm mildly embarrassed to acknowledge that the Manhattan Transfer did a CD entitled "SWING." It is surprisingly one of their best-regarded albums among "critics," although it is still campy at best. If you like glee-club, musical comedy music, it is right up your alley.

Scott Yanow wrote the following on allmusic.com, which I submit heretofore severely undermines Yanow's credibility as a jazz critic. (Reuben once cited Yanow in a bebop debate against me.)
Scott Yanow wrote:On this continually interesting CD, the Manhattan Transfer revisits tunes from the swing era, in some cases recreating (through vocalese) specific recordings. Benny Goodman's 1935 version of "King Porter Stomp," Bennie Moten's 1932 recording of "Moten's Swing," Glenn Miller's "I Know Why," Charlie Barnet's "Skyliner" and Fletcher Henderson's exciting arrangement of "Down South Camp Meetin'" are among the many highlights. The vocals are superb (particularly Janis Siegel and Cheryl Bentyne), although one wishes that the individual members had more of a chance to improvise within the style. The backup groups are different than one would expect, including the Western swing band Asleep at the Wheel, violinist Mark O'Connor (Stephane Grappelli makes a special appearance on "Clouds"), and steel guitarist Buddy Emmons. Recommended. — Scott Yanow
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

LindyChef

#5 Post by LindyChef » Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:38 am

I've actually had some surprising moments where a request has actually worked against my expectations. One of the most memorable was DJing at the Legion in Vancouver one night and a request came in for Blu Cantrell's Swingin'. I had just started my set, but the dancer was leaving and, hey, I had it my collection, so I spun it. The floor was completely packed during the song.

I learned from that incident never to underestimate a request.

mousethief

#6 Post by mousethief » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:38 am

What happens?

I look at said request-maker over my glasses
Listen to request or get handed CD
Look at set-list
*shake head*

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

GemZombie

#7 Post by GemZombie » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:45 am

Manhatten Transfer has done some really cool stuff... however, "Swing" isn't part of that :P

They did a great album called "Brazil" in the 80's :P

Kyle

#8 Post by Kyle » Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:44 am

the biggest problem with actually playing the request is that since you played it once, they will ask you to play it every week. blech!

djstarr

#9 Post by djstarr » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:27 pm

GemZombie wrote:Manhatten Transfer has done some really cool stuff... however, "Swing" isn't part of that :P

They did a great album called "Brazil" in the 80's :P
I have their version of "King Porter Stomp" - I have to remember to play it some time as a joke - it is so so bad - and this is from someone who used to love her Manhattan Transfer CD! (I still like their version of Ray's Rockhouse, but it's more of a westie tune).

JesseMiner

#10 Post by JesseMiner » Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:10 pm

Moonmist wrote:The other was Manhattan Transfer, I went ahead put it on, and then people were asking me to recommend them 'the CD' to get from the group. Frankly, I don't like them, I never had. I think they're tolerable, but I won't even DJ with it. Been looking, and I just can't bring myself to say anything good about any of their albums. So, to help this poor soul out, can someone give me some guidance?
Well what was the song you played? If people liked it, maybe you can direct them to the album it is from. If they seem to like the sound of Manhattan Transfer, I would recommend their "Swing" album since it definitely has the Manhattan Transfer "sound" and is all swinging. If you really feel the need, add the disclaimer that you don't care for them personally.

I have never played anything by Manhattan Transfer at a dance but do thoroughly enjoy listening to their "Swing" album while driving in the car. I dig the vocal interpretations of the swing classics. I don't think that the review Lawrence is referring to is off-base at all, of course as Lawrence mentioned, the music is campy and isn't anything I have any plans for playing at a dance in the near future.

If you want to go the route of expanding their horizons with some music that you actually do like, you might want to add that if they enjoyed the song, they might want to check out some recordings of Lamberts, Hendricks and Ross or other swinging vocal groups. For suggestions, see these threads:

Lambert, Hendricks and Ross
I just love those singing groups
Acapella

You are just using your knowledge to help these people find out more about the music they love. If for some reason you really feel uncomfortable about it, direct them to the person who brought the CD in and have that person answer their questions, or more drastically you can stop playing music you don't like and aren't comfortable answering questions about afterwards. ;)

Jesse

Kyle

#11 Post by Kyle » Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:26 pm

for a 50's sound, try Trickle Trickle

fun and hoppy, not accapella, but lots of vocal

Moonmist

#12 Post by Moonmist » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:36 am

Thanks everybody for your input, that really helped. Unfortunately, after a night of people giving me CDs, I have no clue who handed me the M.T. to play. 90% of the time, if they don't pick it up, I just leave them there, cuz it's not my responsibility. And they all know better.

That said, I do give the CD a listen before just putting stuff on (i.e. the nix on the NKOTB). Scary, if I don't do that.

Like LindyChef said, there has been known to have a few good surprises. That's kinda why I take requests, just for something I overlooked.

And funny that Jesse brought up the LH&R, I was just digging thru my stuff to tell the inquirer about it. But, I think it's just different.

AlekseyKosygin
Location: Jersey, Home of the Lion, the Lamb and the Brute...

#13 Post by AlekseyKosygin » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:12 pm

i think it's always a good idea to play a song if it is requested...you never know how much that person will appreciate that...

the key is only carry music you like yourself so you won't have to play bad requests...nothing wrong with telling the truth and saying..."sorry i don't have that"...just my two cents...