Tha value of a DJ's time

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Mr Awesomer

#61 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:18 pm

I dunno Greg. Being in a position of "prestige" in this scene is much like being a "Manager" at your local McDonalds. It's got a few extra perks, but in the grand scheme of things it's still pretty meaningless.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Toon Town Dave

#62 Post by Toon Town Dave » Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:22 pm

main_stem wrote:
CafeSavoy wrote: So since events are free to cater to particular tastes, does that mean that people shouldn't bitch if an event doesn't cater to "The Binge" crowd?
People should stop bitching about exchanges when they aren't a carbon copy of other exchanges. And yes I think most exchanges have little to no differnece.
Here here!
LindyChef wrote: All of this makes me wonder how much impact does getting a nationally recognized DJ have on an exchange's attendance?
Interesting point. I think it does impact who may attend an event (exchange or otherwise) more than net attendance. There are some DJs who I really like, not all of them post on this forum and not all of them are nationally known. If a DJ I really dig is playing an event it will weigh in my decision to attend the event in the same way a band would, or instructors (if it's a workshop) or what the venues are.

In terms of compensation or otherwise, I feel it's any of our business what each other get paid. It's obvious that I wouldn't travel to a random event I wasn't planning on going to without expenses or at least enough to make the event look appealing. That said, if a DJ provides a service that adds significant value to an event then it's fair to compensate the DJ well.

It's been common practice for two of our local ballroom clubs to hire DJs (and equipment) for over $500 a night and then provide a playlist and CDs to the DJ ... basically $500 for sound equipment and a trained monkey. I don't feel that is good value but when they hire a DJ that brings music, selects appropriate music for the audience and does what most of us do, that's incredible value.

In general, I'm personally in the same camp as Reuben. I DJ as a hobby to share music I enjoy and to help out my local scene. I have a full-time day job that pays a heck of a lot better than DJing so it doesn't make economic sense for me to try and do it as a profession either full time or as a weekend warrior.

Greg Avakian

#63 Post by Greg Avakian » Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:56 pm

GuruReuben wrote:I dunno Greg. Being in a position of "prestige" in this scene is much like being a "Manager" at your local McDonalds. It's got a few extra perks, but in the grand scheme of things it's still pretty meaningless.
Dude, that's cause you don't live with Laurie. Never would have met her if I hadn't been comped for that weekend...

LindyChef

#64 Post by LindyChef » Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:00 am

Greg Avakian wrote: Two other points:
Do names matter? Yes. People told me how much they like different DJs when I was planning the DJs for last year's ALHC.
Yeah, but did it make the difference that they were going to the event?

As I see it, there are four possibilites from that statement that you made:

1) They are going to ALHC soley because of the DJs you got.
2) They are going to ALHC and the DJs were one positive factor that made them say yes.
3) They were going to ALHC anyway, so even though they liked the DJs, it wasn't a deciding factor.
4) They aren't going to ALHC, but they like the DJ list ;)

With an event like ALHC, I would be willing to bet that most of the responses that you got on positive feedback for the DJs fell into the areas of 2 and 3.

12bars

#65 Post by 12bars » Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:48 am

LindyChef wrote:All of this makes me wonder how much impact does getting a nationally recognized DJ have on an exchange's attendance?

Personally, I really don't pay that much attention to what DJs are going to be at an event. What matters more to me is that the event is in a town where I have good ties to the locals and that my friends will be there ... DJs are somewhere around 6th in priority.

I think it would be interesting to see the results of a survey to find out how much getting XYZ list of DJs would affect an exchange's attendance.
while i dont go to exchances specificly for the djs, the djs do effect my enjoyment of any given weekend. if i dont feel inspired to dance i probably wont have that good a time. if i dont have a goot time i prob wont go back.

Roy

#66 Post by Roy » Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:27 am

As a dancer I will not go to events based on the DJ lineup. Basicly I look for people who know what they are doing won't play much or any pop or motown and have some experience with the national lindy hop scene and hence knows what music works. If less then 50% of the DJ lineup are unkowns or fall into my dislikes there is no way I am going to go as a dancer becuase I will simply not have much fun.

I said it a prevoius post I think some djs are just fine for there local scene and new lindy hoppers but fail playing to a national scene or to more experienced dancers. Finding enough good experienced dj's for a national event in my opininion is the biggest issues some events have. To not have them guarantees that many experienced dancers will not return to an event if its rund for a second time.

GemZombie

#67 Post by GemZombie » Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:58 am

Depending on the event, I might *not* go to an event because of a DJ lineup if I *know* the music for the entire event isn't going to work for me. I don't think that's ever happened yet...

Lawrence

#68 Post by Lawrence » Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:48 am

Greg Avakian wrote:
GuruReuben wrote:I dunno Greg. Being in a position of "prestige" in this scene is much like being a "Manager" at your local McDonalds. It's got a few extra perks, but in the grand scheme of things it's still pretty meaningless.
Dude, that's cause you don't live with Laurie. Never would have met her if I hadn't been comped for that weekend...
That amounts to merely dissin the chicks at McDonalds, not any manifestation of prestige. 8)
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Kyle

#69 Post by Kyle » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:31 am

GuruReuben wrote:Having DJ's who were known for a more groove sound would have made the Binge UN-balanced... if you know what I mean. The Binge doesn't even attempt to cater to everyone's tastes..
I understand the direction of the bindge, I was just using it as a popular example that people could relate to.. I like it that there is a very minimal amount of groove at the bindge

Kyle

#70 Post by Kyle » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:40 am

LindyChef wrote:
1) They are going to ALHC soley because of the DJs you got.
2) They are going to ALHC and the DJs were one positive factor that made them say yes.
3) They were going to ALHC anyway, so even though they liked the DJs, it wasn't a deciding factor.
4) They aren't going to ALHC, but they like the DJ list ;)
I pick 4

I always look at the DJ lineup for the weekend, and make a breif determination based on that.

If it is a lineup for pure groove dj's, then for sure i am not going, but if it is a lineup of real swing music dj's.. Hell Yeah, i'll go

but that is just personal taste. however, there are a lot of people in LA who use this to dtermine their attendence at events.

Greg Avakian

#71 Post by Greg Avakian » Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:41 am

Lawrence wrote:
Greg Avakian wrote:
That amounts to merely dissin the chicks at McDonalds, not any manifestation of prestige. 8)
Oh, please don't misinterpret:
I'm dissing EVERYONE at McDonalds. IMO, "Going out for dinner" is to eating at McD's as "Drinking beer" is to Bud or Miller. Or "drinking coffee" is to Dunkin Donuts.
Or, to put it into terms we can relate to: as "listening to Jazz" is to BBVD... :)

Anyway: in a related topic to the subject at hand:
I think that -as someone who teaches too- that being able to take your students out to different places to dance and exposing them to different styles of music makes a big difference in how you see other people's reaction to different DJs. For instance, when I DJ at Frim Fram, I usually bring 2-4 people in my van so there is often discussion about the music on the 2 hour ride home. So it may be that my veiw is somewhat shaded by circumstance.

yedancer

#72 Post by yedancer » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:27 am

Greg Avakian wrote:I'm dissing EVERYONE at McDonalds. IMO, "Going out for dinner" is to eating at McD's as "Drinking beer" is to Bud or Miller.
HAHA! A man after my own heart!
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

caab

#73 Post by caab » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:37 am

Most of this thread seems to be geared toward exchanges and national events, but what about locally? Small scene or large, do you get paid for a weekly/monthly dance? Do people expect you to show up for free or are you regularly getting paid? Or do you run the venue and not care about compensation, merely play for the joy of seeing people dance?

Greg Avakian

#74 Post by Greg Avakian » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:38 am

caab wrote:Most of this thread seems to be geared toward exchanges and national events, but what about locally? Small scene or large, do you get paid for a weekly/monthly dance? Do people expect you to show up for free or are you regularly getting paid? Or do you run the venue and not care about compensation, merely play for the joy of seeing people dance?
I get much better pay at local venues.

At big eastie/Lindy nights (monthly or bi-monthly) I get as much as $350 for teaching a lesson or two and playing music for 2-3 hours.

At our small venue in Philly (weekly), I get paid too even though the take at the door is about $200 -often less. I'm guessing the person who runs the night gives me 1/3 - 2/3 of the money he makes after paying for the room. He might be an exception to the rule since he's just a great guy.

Everywhere I've DJed locally I've gotten something. The only place I haven't DJed is the local 'Hollywood/L.A.' style dance, so I don't know, but I assume he pays DJs too.

This is the biggest reason I always tell people to start their own events; when the event is run by dancers, they are much more appreaciative of what goes into having a great night.

gatorgal

#75 Post by gatorgal » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:52 am

We are paid a buck a head for our Thursday night dances from the owner of the ballroom that hosts the dance. Nothing big since there are 2 DJs and we split the night. But I personally am very appreciative of the gas/food money. :)

The West Coast folks also pay their DJs a flat rate of $200 for 4 hours of spinning. But they only have dances once a month.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show