Cole Porter Movie Musical

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

gatorgal

Cole Porter Movie Musical

#1 Post by gatorgal » Mon May 24, 2004 8:14 am

Has anyone heard about this upcoming Cole Portermovie and soundtrack? Sounds interesting.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Moonmist

#2 Post by Moonmist » Mon May 24, 2004 10:54 am

http://www.sonymusicstore.com/store/cat ... 0-etonline

There's a list of songs, but no telling who's singing what....

SpuzBal

#3 Post by SpuzBal » Mon May 24, 2004 12:24 pm

Speaking of movies, this movie is apparently going to have guitarist John Jorgenson playing the role of Django Reinhardt.
"In my opinion, out of the ten great guitarists in the world, Django is five of them!" - Rex Stewart

Jerry_Jelinek

Re: Cole Porter Movie Musical

#4 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Mon May 24, 2004 12:48 pm

gatorgal wrote:Has anyone heard about this upcoming Cole Portermovie and soundtrack? Sounds interesting.

Tina 8)
This does sound interesting. Cole Porter was a fascinating man.

I'm a bit skeptical of the singers chosen. Natalie Cole and Diane Krall will do a good job. I have confidence in them. But the pop singers I'm not as sure of.

It takes a lot more talent to pull off the sophistication of Cole Porter music than these pop singers typically perform. The proof will be in the performances.

On the plus side, having these pop icons will attract a new audience to the music. People whom are unfamiliar with Cole Porter music will see the movie or the soundtrack to listen to Crow, etc.. So that is good.

It would have been nice to have people like Marlene Verplanck, Blossom Dearie, Freddy Cole, Jimmy Scott, John Pizzarelli etc. also perform.