Nina Simone

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Ron

Nina Simone

#1 Post by Ron » Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:57 am

Instead of just saying "oh, so and so died", why not talk about their best music? Nina Simone had a lot of great music and a great voice. I've found a lot of the late Nina Simone's songs slow and sleepy and unsuitable for dancers. But the ones that are suitable, are kick-ass.

My favorite Nina Simone songs for dancers:
"My Baby Just Cares for Me" (118 BPM)
"Love Me Or Leave Me" (166 BPM)(one of my all-time favorite Lindy songs)
"Jellyroll" (130 BPMish) (very long, great for a steal dance)

OK:
"Gal from Joes" (120 BPM)

For blues dancing:
"Blues for Mama" (60 BPM)
"Do I Move You" (69 BPM) (Love this song!, Version 2, not the one from the Blues CD)
"Backlash Blues" (70s-ish)

mark0tz

#2 Post by mark0tz » Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:04 pm

I'd have to add, "You Put A Spell On Me" for blues dancing...

Also, I kinda like "You Better Know It". The version I have of her doing this is from the crappy recording quality on The Tomato Collection.
Mike Marcotte

Nate Dogg

#3 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:06 pm

I just picked up the CD with "Jellyroll" on it last week. Good song. Rather than playing all 8 minutes, I am planning on fading in at around 3:00.

Mr Awesomer

#4 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:12 pm

I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good)
Gimme A Pigfoot
Forbidden Fruit

I think those are the only three I play from time to time.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Lawrence

#5 Post by Lawrence » Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:07 pm

Nate Dogg wrote:I just picked up the CD with "Jellyroll" on it last week. Good song. Rather than playing all 8 minutes, I am planning on fading in at around 3:00.
Nathan... buddy... PLEASE don't fade that song at 3:00!!! :!: That's when it just starts getting good! :o

(If that is the song I'm thinking of, which is the standard "steal dance" song, and which is BY FAR my favorite Simone tune.)
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Nate Dogg

#6 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:26 pm

Lawrence wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote:I just picked up the CD with "Jellyroll" on it last week. Good song. Rather than playing all 8 minutes, I am planning on fading in at around 3:00.
Nathan... buddy... PLEASE don't fade that song at 3:00!!! :!: That's when it just starts getting good! :o

(If that is the song I'm thinking of, which is the standard "steal dance" song, and which is BY FAR my favorite Simone tune.)
No, you got me reversed, I am fading IN, that means I start the song right when it is getting good.

I still might play it as a steal/snowball/birthday dance. But, fading in allows me to play under normal circumstances as well.

Lawrence

#7 Post by Lawrence » Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:52 pm

Sorry, my mistake.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

laf

#8 Post by laf » Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:11 pm

"Sugar In My Bowl"
One of my all-time favourite songs for a blues dance.

Drew

#9 Post by Drew » Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:30 pm

I get teary-eyed every time I hear her live version of "Trouble in Mind" that's on Bittersweet: The Best of Nina Simone. I have several other versions of this tune, and I have never since listened to any of them, I think it's that good.

The other tune on there that I really dig is a long, bluesy number named something like "To Be Young, Gifted, and Black."

I have always loved the poeticism of of the lyrics of "Love Me or Leave Me" and her piano soloing, but I've never much cared for dancing to this song.

morte100

#10 Post by morte100 » Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:56 pm

Drew wrote:I get teary-eyed every time I hear her live version of "Trouble in Mind" that's on Bittersweet: The Best of Nina Simone.
I have a similar reaction to "I Put A Spell on You" off of that same album. It's as powerful a song as I've ever heard.

And for the love, Nate Dogg...find a situation where it's appropriate to play the entire Jelly Roll song if you can. It's such a great surprise for the dancers when her vocals come in and it practically starts a whole new song.

_david

Nate Dogg

#11 Post by Nate Dogg » Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:42 am

morte100 wrote:
Drew wrote:I get teary-eyed every time I hear her live version of "Trouble in Mind" that's on Bittersweet: The Best of Nina Simone.
I have a similar reaction to "I Put A Spell on You" off of that same album. It's as powerful a song as I've ever heard.

And for the love, Nate Dogg...find a situation where it's appropriate to play the entire Jelly Roll song if you can. It's such a great surprise for the dancers when her vocals come in and it practically starts a whole new song.

_david
Outside of jams, snowballs, live music, etc... In a DJ environment, is there every a good time to play an 8 minute song? Sure, if you are paired up with the right partner, the 8 minute song is awesome. But, for those souls who are not with the ideal partner, the 8 minutes seems like eternity and they know where to look in anger, the DJ stand.

In my opinion, Long songs can come off as a DJ being indulgent.

BryanC

#12 Post by BryanC » Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:43 am

It's not a swing song per se, but Simone rendition of, "Here Comes The Sun" is by far my favourite of her songs. "Ne me quitte pas" comes a close second.

morte100

#13 Post by morte100 » Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:06 am

Nate Dogg wrote:is there ever a good time to play an 8 minute song?...In my opinion, Long songs can come off as a DJ being indulgent.
It's definitely something you have to be careful with. But a steal song (as was mentioned above), a last song of the night (with appropriate disclaimer), a (very) late night, etc. can all work. I wouldn't (and don't) play it at all regularly, but it has come off well every time I have. Besides, occasional DJ indulgence can be fun for all concerned. :D

Mr Awesomer

#14 Post by Mr Awesomer » Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:03 am

aroyscc: thank you so much for the CD!
aroyscc: my favorite is the last one
GuruReuben: the nina simone more classical style one?
aroyscc: no
aroyscc: the one with the guy singing
aroyscc: and long piano solo
aroyscc: thingy
GuruReuben: oooh
GuruReuben: wait
GuruReuben: that is nina simone
GuruReuben: hahahah
aroyscc: oh
aroyscc: then yes that one
GuruReuben: guy singing... HAHAHA
aroyscc: i thought it was a guy
aroyscc: ahahha
aroyscc: opps
aroyscc: hahah
aroyscc: sorry nina
aroyscc: seriously it's a chick?
aroyscc: hahaha
aroyscc: that is funny
GuruReuben: yeah
Reuben Brown
Southern California

mark0tz

#15 Post by mark0tz » Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:08 pm

ahaha, someone else made such a statement to me, too, once. nice log.
Mike Marcotte