Offensive Songs In General and Drawing Lines

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Mr Awesomer

Offensive Songs In General and Drawing Lines

#1 Post by Mr Awesomer » Mon May 10, 2004 10:47 am

Since I already see the other topic getting off topic, here's another thread.

I actually enjoy and play "offensive" songs, like Slim & Slam's version of "Chinatown" and Putney Dandrige's "Skeleton's In The Closet."

What do you consider "offensive" and do you still play it regardless?

(For the sake of not rehashing the same old material, there is probably no reason to bring up "Risque In Rhythm" in this thread. haha)
Reuben Brown
Southern California

kitkat

#2 Post by kitkat » Mon May 10, 2004 11:22 am

[moved to keep the other topic from being off-topic]
What do you think of a great Bechet song talking about how the Good Lord made X and Y and Z, "but I wonder who made rhythm?"

Kyle

#3 Post by Kyle » Mon May 10, 2004 11:26 am

I know it's not swing music, but I enjoy Playing Poon Tang byt he Treniers and the version by Deke Dickerson. (when I play venues that like all sorts of dance music)

Most people dont listen to the words, or even think that it was written in the 50's, they just assume that the song is about "Poon Tang" as in....well you know.

It upset someone so much in San Francisco, that he got a club owner to not let the DJ that played it, DJ there ever again!

MAN, its just a Hug and a Kiss, geebus

gatorgal

#4 Post by gatorgal » Mon May 10, 2004 11:37 am

Actually, one of our DJs played a couple of songs that I found quite offensive. To my knowledge, I was the only one who was offended, so I didn't say anything.

Besides, time will tell with any song you play; if people are offended, bothered or just don't like it, they'll either vote with their feet or track down a manager or such.

I don't personally play anything I think it's offensive. I may play something with the occasional "ass" or other wirty dord, but I don't consider that really offensive.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Kyle

#5 Post by Kyle » Mon May 10, 2004 11:44 am

Another song that someone voiced their opinion about was "The're will be a hot time in the town of berlin" Glenn Miller

The songs makes reference to hitler, and someone said that they didnt like it. But again, people dont listen. The song was about kickin his ass.

I can understand that some people might be hurt by it, especially if they were there. But when it is a 20 something......im not sure if they should take offense to killing Hitler.

Nate Dogg

#6 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon May 10, 2004 11:48 am

I don't think the thread was meant to be about about sex and innuendo songs. Based on the other thread and his examples from the author, the "offensive" songs were more about politics, race, and religon.

I have opinions, but I don't feel very comfortable talking about real world politics on this board. It is one thing to talk about music and bicker about that. But, the stuff that is on the news every night is pretty volatile stuff, threads exist on other Boards for that.

Nathan

mousethief

#7 Post by mousethief » Mon May 10, 2004 11:56 am

I'm all for not sanitizing the dances but I think DJs need to exercise some personal responsibility. Playing something "because you can" or because "no one listens to lyrics anyway" is a selfish and ass-backwards reason for spinning a song.

For instance, I think "Stuttering Blues" is a freaking riot but I do not DJ it.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

gatorgal

#8 Post by gatorgal » Mon May 10, 2004 12:04 pm

I guess I'm missing something, but what other thread is this being discussed?

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Mr Awesomer

#9 Post by Mr Awesomer » Mon May 10, 2004 12:18 pm

Reuben Brown
Southern California

wheresmygravy

#10 Post by wheresmygravy » Mon May 10, 2004 12:25 pm

There are several Cab Calloway songs which I think are great songs but are probably not appropriate for play at a dance. "A Strictly Cullud Affair" being one of them.

I have no clue as to the popularity of that song when it came out, but I mostly think that song is 'ironic' because unfortunately, there are very few people of color who participate in swing dancing today, IMO.

LindyChef

#11 Post by LindyChef » Mon May 10, 2004 12:42 pm

wheresmygravy wrote:There are several Cab Calloway songs which I think are great songs but are probably not appropriate for play at a dance. "A Strictly Cullud Affair" being one of them.
Calloway's Chop Chop Charlie Chan is one that I'll never play ... not just because of the racist stereotypes in the song, but I also dislike it when people try to imitate the cadence of a language without being able to speak it at all.

sonofvu

#12 Post by sonofvu » Mon May 10, 2004 1:02 pm

I try not to play any song that deals with Asian culture. Most early swing songs that deal with asian culture are offensive and demeaning. I'm sensitive to this because I hate songs that deal with West Indian culture and the singer puts on a fake West Indian accent and say "Ya Mon" a lot. Case in point, Lionel Ritchie's "All night long". Drives me up a wall.
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.

mousethief

#13 Post by mousethief » Mon May 10, 2004 1:07 pm

sonofvu wrote:Case in point, Lionel Ritchie's "All night long". Drives me up a wall.
Feels good! Feels good!

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

mousethief

#14 Post by mousethief » Mon May 10, 2004 1:34 pm

I think vocals are where otherwise good selections meet resistance. "Hymn to Freedom" is a protest song that I gladly play during late-night events (although I've let it collect dust recenty), just as I might play "America the Beautiful" by Ray Charles.

Neither of which will I ever spin at a main dance, though.

Kalman

(geek)

#15 Post by (geek) » Mon May 10, 2004 4:47 pm

A DJ doesn't have a right to force people to choose between having a good time at a dance and walking out because a song insults them personally.

In the realm of sexually suggestive songs, I feel that there's nothing wrong with playing my current novelty favourite, Clarence Carter's "Strokin'", or others of its ilk, at a late night dance or private party.

Thankfully novelty songs don't come around often...

While I don't like it that people are offended by sexually suggestive songs, I accept that they exist and some even dance.

At an open, normal evening dance, it's more appropriate to keep things relatively clean and on the up-and-up.

Protest or patriotic songs are one thing, but racist or other personally offensive songs, even if they were "appropriate in their time", aren't acceptable.